IGNORED

Flashback 2 Operation-Issue Questions, New Owner

Hello all,

For this Christmas I finally got an Atari Flashback 2 console, however there were a few questions that I have that were not covered in the instruction manual. Here goes:

1) The Flashback 2 console only plays in B&W even though the switch on the back is in color. The manual says adjust the TV, however, that doesn't help. So I ended up playing in BW, mode.

2) To get back to the main menu to select a new game do you have to always turn the power off and back on again? Or is there another way to do it. If not then I can see the power switch wearing out quite soon from the constant turning on/off

3) The difficulty switches: How do you know which way is difficulty A or B ?!?!?! The old consoles had levers which would tell you easy what way is what. I am surprised the manual didn't cover this.

4) On one of the newer games "Yars Return", the screen isn't centered and is doubled towards the bottom of the screen and is very jittery. So far this is the only game I see this happening on, the other games (that I tried thusfar, are playing fine). Anyone know why that is the case?

5) I have heard in the past that if you have the latest revision of the Atari Flashback 2 console that you can add a cartridge slot to it and play all the old Atari games using the original cartridges. How can I tell which FB2 version I have?

6) The manual doesn't document the games very well. For example, they don't go over the game select settings at all. Is there a deeper manual on-line for all the games?

Well, that should be all for now.

Thanx,

Geo

Edited by jukingeo

Where are you located? Your console should play in color, obviously, particularly if you're using it in the correct territory. If you can't get color, bring it back or try it on a different TV. The display issues you're having could be related to your TV.

Also, if you need more detailed manuals, they're right here on AtariAge for most of the games on there.

1) I've heard of this happening. I have a few FB2's that were known to be defective in that they only displayed a B&W picture. However, when I received and tested them they displayed in color with no visible issues. I've passed some of those along to people who have no problem with the B&W issue. I can only conclude that there may be certain TV's that can't process a slightly out of spec. video signal being produced by the FB2. Test it on a different TV if you can and see what happens.

The B&W/Color switch on an Atari 2600 (and FB2) is not really a mechanism to switch the video output between B&W/Color. It is an input that can be read by the software. The earliest games were programmed to read that switch and change the color pallet to something more friendly for viewing on a B&W TV. Later homebrew games use the switch for other purposes.

2) As far as I know, there's no "soft" way to get back to the main menu from a game. A hard power off/on is necessary. I don't think I'd worry too much about wearing out the switch. If I were worried about that, I'd add a "reset" button by adding a normally closed pushbutton that would interrupt the power to the circuitry when it was pressed.

3) That was an interesting design choice... I don't remember which position is A or B, but the switch beneath that button goes into an extended or retracted position. You can tell by lightly pressing the button whether the switch is in or out. I'm trying to think of a game on the FB2 that displays an obvious difference between A & B difficulty. For example, if Kaboom were on there you could see the width of the bucket change. I don't have an FB2 handy and can't think of such a game off the top of my head. Anyone?

I'm thinking that one might try to take out the spring that keeps the button in the up position to let it track the position of the switch better to provide a slightly better visual indicator. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I think you could add an LED to indicate when the switch is in the "A" position or something along those lines.

4) no idea

5) I wasn't aware of that being limited to the later version. If you take it apart and look at the circuit board, there should be a bunch of numbered "pads" where you solder the corresponding cart socket connection.

6) no idea

5) I have heard in the past that if you have the latest revision of the Atari Flashback 2 console that you can add a cartridge slot to it and play all the old Atari games using the original cartridges. How can I tell which FB2 version I have?

You can do it on all the versions.

6) The manual doesn't document the games very well. For example, they don't go over the game select settings at all. Is there a deeper manual on-line for all the games?

Well, that should be all for now.

Thanx,

Geo

They only wanted a brief manual for the pack-in to save on money. I did a full one as well -

http://www.atari.com/images/games/FBK2/manual/main.htm

Where are you located? Your console should play in color, obviously, particularly if you're using it in the correct territory. If you can't get color, bring it back or try it on a different TV. The display issues you're having could be related to your TV.

I am located in NY, US. The TV itself works fine with everything else that is hooked up to it. So it has to be something with the unit. However I have not checked it out on another TV as of yet, so I still can try that.

Also, if you need more detailed manuals, they're right here on AtariAge for most of the games on there.

Ok, thanx.

1) I've heard of this happening. I have a few FB2's that were known to be defective in that they only displayed a B&W picture. However, when I received and tested them they displayed in color with no visible issues. I've passed some of those along to people who have no problem with the B&W issue. I can only conclude that there may be certain TV's that can't process a slightly out of spec. video signal being produced by the FB2. Test it on a different TV if you can and see what happens.

That is interesting. The TV I have the Flashback2 on is an older Sony tube type TV. I guess I could try my parent's flat screen upstairs, which is fairly new. Maybe it will work on that TV.

The B&W/Color switch on an Atari 2600 (and FB2) is not really a mechanism to switch the video output between B&W/Color. It is an input that can be read by the software. The earliest games were programmed to read that switch and change the color pallet to something more friendly for viewing on a B&W TV. Later homebrew games use the switch for other purposes.

Yes, I was aware that it wasn't an analog setting because certain cartridges used it for other functions. But some early cartridges, such as Adventure, DID use it for that intended function. I think it was in the mid 80's that they realized that no-one was really using B&W TV's anymore and changed the function of the switch as dependent upon the game cartridge. I had Space Shuttle (for example) and I know that the Color/BW switch was used for something else. I think in Star Raiders it was used to activate the map function.

2) As far as I know, there's no "soft" way to get back to the main menu from a game. A hard power off/on is necessary. I don't think I'd worry too much about wearing out the switch. If I were worried about that, I'd add a "reset" button by adding a normally closed pushbutton that would interrupt the power to the circuitry when it was pressed.

I might think about that if I were to do a the mod on this unit. But then again I might just hack a used unit and leave this one as is. I guess the main reason I asked the question, because my first Atari I had back in the early 80's did develop an issue with the power switch going bad because (as you may know) the old consoles you HAD to turn the power off to change the cartridges.

3) That was an interesting design choice... I don't remember which position is A or B, but the switch beneath that button goes into an extended or retracted position. You can tell by lightly pressing the button whether the switch is in or out. I'm trying to think of a game on the FB2 that displays an obvious difference between A & B difficulty. For example, if Kaboom were on there you could see the width of the bucket change. I don't have an FB2 handy and can't think of such a game off the top of my head. Anyone?

I am surprised they didn't go with standard lever switches in which you can easily tell the position. You really can't on this unit.

I'm thinking that one might try to take out the spring that keeps the button in the up position to let it track the position of the switch better to provide a slightly better visual indicator. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I think you could add an LED to indicate when the switch is in the "A" position or something along those lines.

I probably would have to do something like that because the way it is right now, it is difficult to tell the position of the switch.

They only wanted a brief manual for the pack-in to save on money. I did a full one as well -

http://www.atari.com/images/games/FBK2/manual/main.htm

Ok, I will check it out,

Thanx,

Geo

Edited by jukingeo

I guess the main reason I asked the question, because my first Atari I had back in the early 80's did develop an issue with the power switch going bad because (as you may know) the old consoles you HAD to turn the power off to change the cartridges.

And you have to do it for this as well. It's an actual 2600 on a chip and functions the same way as the original, with the exception that a separate menu chip (Gizmo) virtually "plugs in" the cartridges.

I am surprised they didn't go with standard lever switches in which you can easily tell the position. You really can't on this unit.

Atari didn't want the added cost and maintenance of reproducing the lever look, and wanted the look that there is now. So that's what we did.

4) On one of the newer games "Yars Return", the screen isn't centered and is doubled towards the bottom of the screen and is very jittery. So far this is the only game I see this happening on, the other games (that I tried thusfar, are playing fine). Anyone know why that is the case?

This is an issue with the game itself. It does not have a steady scan line count so it may act strange on some TVs.

And you have to do it for this as well. It's an actual 2600 on a chip and functions the same way as the original, with the exception that a separate menu chip (Gizmo) virtually "plugs in" the cartridges.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. I mainly asked because if there WAS a soft method to boot up the main menu I did want to know about it.

Atari didn't want the added cost and maintenance of reproducing the lever look, and wanted the look that there is now. So that's what we did.

I understand the reasons why that type of switch was chosen, but perhaps some kind of indicating button or other method that would at least be a clearer indication of the position of the switch would have been helpful.

This is an issue with the game itself. It does not have a steady scan line count so it may act strange on some TVs.

Well, I guess I have to try the console out on another TV. Perhaps it will behave better on the flat screen my parents have upstairs.

Thanx,

Geo

Edited by jukingeo

I understand the reasons why that type of switch was chosen, but perhaps some kind of indicating button or other method that would at least be a clearer indication of the position of the switch would have been helpful.

I understand what you're trying to state. But it's not reflective of the actual process. They wanted the look and switches standard across the board for the front panel. And when you have a certain manufacturing budget and eventual market price point to meet, even a 2 cent increase in production can add $18,000 more that needs to be absorbed somewhere.

I understand what you're trying to state. But it's not reflective of the actual process. They wanted the look and switches standard across the board for the front panel. And when you have a certain manufacturing budget and eventual market price point to meet, even a 2 cent increase in production can add $18,000 more that needs to be absorbed somewhere.

So since what is done is done, being on the more constructive side to solving the dilemma, you have a link for the schematic for the Flashback2? Perhaps I can add a couple LED's to it as indicators to the actual switch position.

Thanx,

Geo

So since what is done is done, being on the more constructive side to solving the dilemma, you have a link for the schematic for the Flashback2? Perhaps I can add a couple LED's to it as indicators to the actual switch position.

Thanx,

Geo

I just took the springs out of the difficulty switches to make it a bit easier to see what state they are in.

Mitch

Here is a thread which describes two different ways to add indicator LEDs to your FB2 for difficulty and power: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/114906-adding-leds

Edited by Hornpipe2

So since what is done is done, being on the more constructive side to solving the dilemma, you have a link for the schematic for the Flashback2?

Proprietary info, we're not about to give internal workings out, at least not without checking with Atari's lawyers. There are plenty of homebrew hacks documented out there for just about anything you'd want to do with it though, such as the thread Hornpipe pointed you towards.

Here is a thread which describes two different ways to add indicator LEDs to your FB2 for difficulty and power: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/114906-adding-leds

Ok, thanx, that should be good enough!

Geo

Hi there,

This is a question that I see come up quite a bit. Yes, the games Yar's Return, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, and even Caverns of Mars have sync issues. I don't think the original designers understood the screen timings of the 2600.

Yar's Return, Asteroids Deluxe, and Caverns of Mars were corrected for another run of the FB2 but Atari never approved to have them included in other revisions. There is hope that these fixed versions will make it to the consumer.

Hi there,

This is a question that I see come up quite a bit. Yes, the games Yar's Return, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, and even Caverns of Mars have sync issues. I don't think the original designers understood the screen timings of the 2600.

I wonder if these sync issues could be related to the reason why I am only getting B&W on my TV. Anyway, I did some searching here in regards to the B&W problem, and it seems that it mostly affected mid 90's SONY TV's. Low and behold the TV that the FB2 is on IS a mid 90's Sony.

In terms of the other games outside of Yar's Return, they are playable, but I do notice a characteristic screen 'jump' every so often...but the screen never rolls or scrolls.

Yar's Return, Asteroids Deluxe, and Caverns of Mars were corrected for another run of the FB2 but Atari never approved to have them included in other revisions. There is hope that these fixed versions will make it to the consumer.

Great! I thought that the issues would have been fixed for the Rev C version of the FB2. But then again I am not 100% sure that I have a Rev C. It is more then likely a given since I got the FB2 NOS from an Amazon store. I know I have voice on Quadrun, so it isn't a Rev A.

I am probably going to get a used FB2 soon too because I would like to do the cartridge mod on it.

BTW, is there a section here that has manuals for the new/prototype games that are on the FB2?

Thanx,

Geo

BTW, is there a section here that has manuals for the new/prototype games that are on the FB2?

Thanx,

Geo

That was in the link I gave you already to the official manual.

Thanks for all of the info. I just got a used FB2 for christmas as well (sadly, only 1 controller) and have never really played the 2600 and many of the game's controls weren't immediately obvious (nor was it obvious what the difficulty switches were doing). Thankfully all of my TVs seem happy enough with the video output and I'm not having any technical issues. Cool product, thanks.

Thanx,

Geo

That was in the link I gave you already to the official manual.

Thanks for all of the info. I just got a used FB2 for christmas as well (sadly, only 1 controller) and have never really played the 2600 and many of the game's controls weren't immediately obvious (nor was it obvious what the difficulty switches were doing). Thankfully all of my TVs seem happy enough with the video output and I'm not having any technical issues. Cool product, thanks.

FYI - a standard 2600 joystick will work, if you should happen upon one at a yard sale or thrift store. Pick up paddles if you see them. There are some "hidden" paddle games on the FB2.