IGNORED

making a pc joystick work on a 5200 better

bohoki

a while ago i told of how i got out all my pc joysticks and how 2 of them were horrible with jitter well i looked them both over again today and noticed that both jutter in missile command the exact same way back and forth at a constant rate about 3-5 times per second then it hit me could it be the autofire interfering ?

yep inside both culprits rests a 555 chip i cut the trace leading to pin one and blammo the jitter stopped

i guess it drew too much current from the "pot common" and both of these joysticks had the 555 active all the time and it was just in there astablyvibrating

so the joystick i thought was the worst my suncom fx2000 suddenly became my second favorite(after the gravis of course)

funny the quickshots have autofire but i dont notice the jitter maybe they have a diffferent autofire method

just a heads up incase anybody has this problem in the future

DCP_7868.jpg

Edited by bohoki

I never tried it... I guess this means you can use a PC joystick on a 5200 with a female-female DB15?

it takes a little more than that first off you need to have a way to press start so that takes having a working controller like with the "wico"

so its kind of a y adapter just like the wico another little thing is that you need 2 capacitors

also you need to modify a 15 pin female plug to fit in the console

so the parts list consist of

2 female 15 pin

1 male 15 pin

2 capacitors (marked 204 or 224 or .22ufd)

length of 6 conductor wire

soldering skill and equip

also a 15 pin pc joystick that is not driver based (should have a max of 4 buttons and centering trimmers for the pots

other than that its a cakewalk

Edited by bohoki