IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy the Tom Sawyer game… I will be playing it more this evening… otherwise, I've spent most of my playing time with Ketsui on the Xbox 360

What kind of game is Tom Sawyer. I see it a lot, but never am brave enough to pick it up.

It is a platform game pretty much - levels are of side scrolling and overhead scrolling mix… Tom attacks by throwing rocks or a sling shot power-up… it is probably average at best game, but I still enjoy it none the less…

It is a platform game pretty much - levels are of side scrolling and overhead scrolling mix… Tom attacks by throwing rocks or a sling shot power-up… it is probably average at best game, but I still enjoy it none the less…

Cool, thanks. I can get it pretty cheap, so I'll probably snag it next time I see it!

Today:

Dragon's Lair (NES) 60 mins.

TMNT (NES) 90 mins.

Times for Thursday - Sunday:

Genesis:

Combat Cars - 3 min.

Mortal Kombat - 20 min.

Wani Wani World - 35 min.

Worms - 60 min.

SNES:

Batman Forever - 10 min.

Batman Returns - 3 min.

Biker Mike From Mars - 3 min.

Dirt Trax FX - 3 min.

International Tennis Tour - 28 min.

Mario Paint - 7 min.

Paperboy 2 - 15 min.

Pilotwings - 401 min.

Top Gear - 3 min.

Wordtris - 3 min.

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse - 3 min.

Neo Geo:

King of Fighters 2002 - 12 min.

Dreamcast:

Worms World Party - 40 min.

Brief notes:

For a long time I've steered clear of Pilotwings for some reason; I think I first downloaded the ROM back in 2001 or so, but only played it for a couple minutes before turning elsewhere. But an Atariage member kindly sent me the cart a little while ago, and this week I finally dove into it.

It turned out to be great fun, and surprisingly addictive. The way it's structured, one can easily pick it up for just five minutes, or sit down for a three-hour session. There are some nice UI touches too, like the fact that the game retains your password after a console reset, so that if you want to skip an extended death sequence (or a stern post-crash lecture from your instructor), you can just hit reset and be back in the saddle within a few seconds. That sort of "finesse" helps to minimize the frustration factor, since the game gets quite difficult towards the end, and the controls are tricky by design (though always fair).

Anyway, I beat it today, finishing off the last two levels in one lengthy session of gameplay. The final mission is brutal and seemed impossible, until I figured out that flying steadily in circles at high altitude would keep the anti-aircraft guns from hitting me. It took a few tries, but eventually I managed to finish off the enemy turrets and land safely. Very satisfying!

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm a bit late again... on the other hand, someone else seems to be late too with the statistics... anyway, here are my times for the past week (May 10th through 16th)...

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Bagman (Arcade) 234 minutes

The last V8 (C-64) 174 minutes in 2 sessions

Bubble Bobble (Arcade) 117 minutes

Burger Time (Arcade) 20 minutes

Yar's revenge (Atari 2600) 17 minutes

Major Havoc (Arcade) 12 minutes

The non-classic games (not eligible for the Top 10):

Hue Shift (online game) 42 minutes

Redshift (online game) 41 minutes

Anti-Idle (online game) 37 minutes

Tetraform (online game) 15 minutes

Crush the castle (online game) 4 minutes

I don't have time for the commentary right now, will try to do this later today or this week.

Now for the commentary for my played times...

The game I played the most was Bagman. I think I never played this before, at least not the original arcade version. I played the C-64 version back in the day, which goes by the name of Bagitman... but I didn't quite grasp the concept. Only after I saw a video of it on Youtube, I grasped what you really have to do in this game, and so I tried the arcade version of it. This is actually a funny game in some respects:

1. It uses a speech synthesizer, as far as I know the same one as the TI-99, and it also uses it for some non-speech sounds like the "Bang" when a policeman gets knocked out and the knocking noise of the pickaxe.

2. It seems to be by a pretty unknown French company which, as far as it seems, didn't sue other companies for copyright infringement, which results in multiple ports of the game having been done for multiple home computer systems back in the early 80's. The C-64 version, as I mentioned, was done in Holland, and it's called Bagitman. The ZX-Spectrum even got two ports, one was called Gilligans Gold, done by Ocean, and the other one was "Murphy" from a company called Mogul. Despite the different name, they all seem to be pretty faithful ports of Bagman, having the same 3-screen maze as the original (which not even official ports of some arcade games can boast - see Burger Time on the TI-99!), and the C-64 version even plays the same music as the original, albeit in a different key.

I also read some scanned reviews for Ocean's Spectrum version which appeared in UK game magazines back in the 80's, and it seems like the writers didn't know about the actual origin of the game... one calls it an original game by Ocean, one only complains about the similarities of the two Spectrum versions, and another calls it a port from the C-64, but none of the mags actually mention the arcade original. Maybe that one didn't make it to the UK...

Then I played "The last V8". Actually, I spent most of the listed time mapping out the game by taking a massive amount of screenshots, and most of the shots I took from the demo since it completes the first level much faster than I could do it.

"Bubble Bobble" was inspired by the dragon contest for the planned TI Adventure game in the TI-99 programming section here. I remembered that Bubble Bobble has some cute dragons as the player characters, and then I noticed that I hadn't played this game since back in the day, so I decided to try it.

Yar's Revenge I actually played on the Atari homepage, but from the looks of it it really seems to be an Atari 2600 emulation, so I listed it as such. They show some instructions which I believe to be the original instructions from the Atari 2600 cart since some options mentioned in it absolutely make no sense for an online game (color / b/w switch??!!).

Then I revisited Burger Time for 3 games, in the third of which I reached the 6th pattern and decided it wasn't worth it to try again.

Then I stumbled across Major Havoc which didn't get my attention for too long, but it's a nice vector game by Atari which seems to have been released somewhere between Star Wars and Firefox. At least you recognize the same style of music between those three games, and it's also a nice effort trying to do both 3D fighting sequences and 4-way scrolling jump & run sequences in a vector game. Still, it gets frustrating in the 2nd level.

As for the non-classic games, I think I already described Hue Shift. Red Shift is a horizontally scrolling shooter with the special feature that all enemies stay on screen until they are shot, and there are loads of bullets to avoid.

Anti-Idle is a pretty silly game which deals mainly with leveling up and collecting coins.

Tetraform is a space game where you can't shoot, instead you have to kill the enemies by binding them to each other which causes them to attract and crash into each other. That way, you have to keep them from crashing into your planet.

Crush the castle is... well... a defense game of some sort. Didn't get me for too long.

• Like 2

Then I stumbled across Major Havoc which didn't get my attention for too long, but it's a nice vector game by Atari which seems to have been released somewhere between Star Wars and Firefox. At least you recognize the same style of music between those three games, and it's also a nice effort trying to do both 3D fighting sequences and 4-way scrolling jump & run sequences in a vector game. Still, it gets frustrating in the 2nd level.

I quite like Major Havoc, but it loses a lot in emulation. A ball mouse or trackball is adequate, but you really need the Tempest-style spinner control to do it justice. Otherwise the controls just aren't consistent enough, or at least that was my experience. Regardless, it's a fun game with a good sense of humor and a couple surprises.

Edited by thegoldenband

it was a Turbo Grafx night for me…

Turbo Grafx CD

Magical Dinosaur Tour - 35 minutes

Ys III - Wanderer From Ys - 45 minutes

Monster Lair - 30 minutes

my daughter had an assingment which included a problem using dinosaurs, so I broke out Magical Dinosaur Tour and we checked out some data on some dinosaurs… she was quite fascinated with some of the information and data… she also was amazed at the many different dinosaurs that are referenced on the disc… we will probably revisit this title again… Magical Dinosaur Tour was the only TG-16 title in the 'family' genre and I was actually able to enjoy it's use with my family!

• Like 1