IGNORED

Your biggest 2600 disappointment

zylon

Superman. Man, those graphics were blocky and horrible.

what?!? superman was always one of my favorite games on 2600. and although i wouldn't put it in a list of "best 2600 graphics", i always thought they were decent enough. especially since it was released somewhat earlier in the machines' lifespan.

True. Superman was one of the games for the 2600 that I had to have even after newer stuff came out like Pitfall and Jungle Hunt. I find that it's still very fun to play.

Some more dissapointments...

Freeway, thought it would be like Frogger (Frogger's older bro),

it was like Frogger, just minus all the good stuff. Never got into it, it's like Barnstorming.

Donkey Kong, I really thought this was mediocre , so much I gave it to my cousin as a birthday present. LOL... 2 screens only???! It's over before it starts... but now I somehow like it a lot more then I did in (late 80's or so) even if it's missing screens but it's an "ok" game.

At least it's got increasing difficulty each run through. I don't see DKJ being much worse then this, as both have their problems.

Turmoil, The game plays fine, but it's not fun to me. No where near as good as the reviews I read. Your ship goes... left,right,up,down,up,left,right...zzzz. Would be better with smarter and faster enemines. I don't even care about what score I get, screw up on purpose... due to boredom. Not enough challenge and hollow gameplay leaves a void. For me its only average or fair.

Laser Blast!, did I mention this one yet?? It's like watching traffic go by... if this is anyones favorite game ever... holy christ have mercy on you. lol.

PS,

can't believe someone was dissapointed with Yars' Revenge.

Oo.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Not only did they both suck ass compared to what they were "supposed" to look like, but they were INCREDIBLY easy to master. In both cases, dropping $40+ bucks on a crappy game was bad enough, but both were almost totally unplayable for more than a week.

I understand what you mean. Being two huge arcade titles they really needed to be better then this.

Atari was already starting to bag... why did they rush job the most important game for the system EVER???

This is theee end... my only friend.

Put me down for the extreme suck ass DK Jr..Wow, what an abomination that was..Also, Super Man looked/played o.k. but the noise factor of it was enough to make someone hate super heroes with capes.. :P

Aww... I actually like DK Jr. Yeah, it's not nearly as good as the arcade, but I always thought it was quite fun. And I think the sound is one of the best parts of Superman... that sort of metallic clang sound is one of my favorite 2600 sound effects.

For me it had to be this Quentin Tarantino quote. Basically the same quote with a couple of words replaced.

Tarantino "“This CGI crap is the death knell of cinema. If I'd wanted all that computer game crap, I'd have stuck my penis in a Nintendo.”

Personally I love CGI movies, and think they are great. So was Tarantino correct in saying that sticking your Johnson into an older game system brings about an experience better than CGI Cinema ? So I had an Atari 2600 laying around, and I was in a crazy mood. I decide to take the little guy out, and stick it right into the Atari 2600 cartridge slot, but nothing happened. But then it occurred to me. Maybe I need to stick my little general in when the system is turned on. Well this time there definitely was an effect. I received a shock so strong that my nads were doing the electronic boogie, and it shriveled my peter up to less than an inch. I thought I was staring in a movie called "Honey I shrunk my junk!" Except there was no wife involved with this little mishap. Thank goodness for women everywhere. Fortunately after about a week, it went back to its gargantuan size of 2 and a half inches. Everything is fine now but I swear my ding-a-ling temporarily shrinks a half an inch every time I watch a Tarantino flick or play an Atari 2600 game.

i laughed, i cried - i threw up a little in my mouth...

this is one of the most hilarious replies i've seen in the entire time ive been involved in data communications (since around 1980 or so)..

wow.

This is one of the most hilarious replies I've seen in the entire time I've been involved in data communications (since around 1980 or so)..

The funniest thing is knowing that his freed willy is small enough to fit into an Atari 2600 cartridge slot. That should be impossible for anyone over the age of two. Don't make eye contact and try not to look down in the general area of God's little mistake. Just look away, whistle a tune, and keep on walking.

Biggest disappointments:

Basic Programming

Burgertime (C'mon... blocks for enemies?)

Donkey Kong

E.T.

Sssnake

Laser Blast

Pac-Man

Stellar Track (nothing "Stellar" about it)

Time Pilot

Zaxxon

now if someone would start a "biggest suprises" thread in response to this, I'd have plenty of titles for unexpected praise... ;)

:D

Star Raiders, for making an oversimplified flickering mockery of the exquisite computer version.

I WILL DESTROY YOU, ZYLON!

Ditto. A big reason I got an A8 was to finally play Star Raiders in all its glory.

Don't blame me for the 2600 version, that was the Krylons. The Zylon's stupid little brother! :D

Laser Blast is awful.

I have to disagree on Circus Atari though, I sank countless hours into that and still love it.

A more recent disappointment has to be Atlantis. After hearing about this for so many years, and then playing with those fixed angle guns I thought I would cry. Game looks great though, but Air Sea Battle controls better.

Biggest disappointments:

Basic Programming

Laser Blast

Yep, definitely agree on those two. Basic... six lines of text and your through.

And Laser Blast. That was the highly anticipated game that kinda disappointed me.

Biggest disappointments:

Sssnake

now if someone would start a "biggest suprises" thread in response to this, I'd have plenty of titles for unexpected praise... ;)

I still have nightmares about playing Sssnake for the first time. I was hoping for something like Centipede. I didn't list it on my original list of biggest disappointments because I didn't pay much for it. The atari was still very popular when I bought it so it should have been a clue that it was crap.