IGNORED

Best Monitor?

Tempest

I've been using a large 23" TV for my Atari 8-bit setup, but the TV is a bit too large for the space and can't do 80-columns (I'll make use of that XEP 80 if it kills me) so I want to use a regular monitor instead. What's the best monitor to use for an Atari 8-bit? I have a Commodore 1702 hooked up to my C-64 next to my Atari, but it's a bit small for my tastes (large for the time though). Is there a 15"-18" monitor that I could use? IIRC 13" is as large as old skool monitors came unless they were monochrome.

Tempest

Well, I've been going over that in my head for a while, and settled back down with the 13" monitor. The real reason is, it's the only quality small monitor (less than a 27" TV) I could easily afford that has S-video.

I'm neither an expert, nor the most experienced person, but I could not find a commonly available 19-20" (or so) TV with S-video. I looked and looked, and I was talking about LOCAL because of size and weight. I know they are out there, I'm sure someone can Google one up and link to a model to prove that it exists. I'm talkiing about what's available affordably.. Of course, new CRT TV selection is almost nonexistant, and the used market is fueled by luck and chance. I suppose if one took out a stack of $100 bills they could easily make it happen online, but I'd hate to pay shipping for a 19-20" CRT; I wouldn't be suprised to see it $50-$75 for shipping alone, and then if you changed your mind and wanted to sell it, you'd find that the few people in the market for a CRT don't care about S-video like you do and offer $15.

I was trying to find one off Craigslist, but most of the TVs (19-20") didn't have S-video, or I wasn't able to get the seller to provide me enough info to find out.

I finally Ebay'd 13" and paid shipping. When I want a "fix" of big-screen, I hook to my 35" CRT Sony. For puttering around in BASIC, I prefer the 13" anyway because it's clear and I don't have to move my lazy eyes all over the large screen to read.

Take that 1702, and hook it to your ATARI via the chrom/luma inputs.. You can not get a better display... period..

That said, there are some professional/industrial CRT displays out there that are bigger, have extremely high quality/sharp display, support true NTSC scan rates, and have chroma/luma inputs.. You just have to look for them.. These are used in medical imaging, surveilance, and quality control on assembly line manufacturing... If you browse the "Industrial surplus" vendors on Ebay, you can come across them quite regularly.. Alwayse good to get the model number and Google it before buying, to make sure of the specs. on any device like that..

As far as LCD or "flat panel" displays go.. heh.. Ive never seen or heard of one that can compete with the CRTs where alot of "atari-relevant" factors are concerned.. Remember that systems like the ATARI are designed around the principles of a raster-scanning CRT of a specific scan/refresh rate.. In order to see every possible "trick" that can be performed by the ATARI hardware, you really need "the real deal".. Not some LCD with some digital electronics that takes in the NTSC signal and produces a "close approximation" of what the display would look like on a CRT.. Its just not the same..

That said, I did notice that CVS is selling a 15" CRAIG LCD display that has composite, svideo, vga, HDMI, inputs for like $159.00.... or maybe it was $129.00.. I cant remember.. Anywayze.. If all you want is something that you can read a sharp 80 columns on, something like this will do..

If you want the best possible display for your atari, get a professional quality CRT that has chroma/luma (svideo) inputs..

I was trying to find one off Craigslist, but most of the TVs (19-20") didn't have S-video, or I wasn't able to get the seller to provide me enough info to find out.

I finally Ebay'd 13" and paid shipping. When I want a "fix" of big-screen, I hook to my 35" CRT Sony. For puttering around in BASIC, I prefer the 13" anyway because it's clear and I don't have to move my lazy eyes all over the large screen to read.

CRT televisions do not have anywhere near as sharp of an image as a professional CRT display (or commodore/magnavox chroma/luma monitor) does..

It's hard to beat a 1702, 1084/s, or Magnavox "Color Computer Monitor 80".....

Metalguy - that was a good explanation about flat screens/lcd's and I had been wondering how like a 32" LCD would work out with an Atari.. I may still do it, but at least I know now what to expect.

I picked up a 1702 with a recent haul, and in trying to use the cable that came with the haul I'm not sure if its the cable or the monitor - or possibly the output of the atari.

The cable has a black, white, red and yellow splitout (RCA) - with the red having some tape around it.. I attempted to use the black and white cables as audio, and then the red and yellow in their appropriate spots on the back of the 1702, but all I get is a screen with bad vertical and horizontal, and I am unable to fix it via the V and H knobs..

I didnt try switching things around much - and the guy I got the stuff from said the cable was a commodore cable and I would just have to "mess with the connections" till I got it right.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the proper way to hook this up is? If I spend enough time with it I will just buy a new atari specific cable off of ebay for 9.99 - but thought I would ask here first.

thanks..

CRT televisions do not have anywhere near as sharp of an image as a professional CRT display (or commodore/magnavox chroma/luma monitor) does..

It's hard to beat a 1702, 1084/s, or Magnavox "Color Computer Monitor 80".....

If you decide to go for a flatscreen as well, get an LG Flatron M227WD if you can find one with s-video. I know it's easier here in Europe, but I bought on six months ago and it handles VGA (thus ST mono), SCART, s-video - I haven't found an Atari yet which won't work well with it. I have the leads for three Ataris permanently plugged into the back panel.

1702 it is then. I actually have a spare one in the basement but it doesn't have any sound so I need to crack it open and see what's amiss. I have a Magnavox 80 monitor of some sort as well (RGB 80?) that I use with my Vic-20 that might be a possibility if I can't get the sound on the 1702 to work.

Tempest

very cool.. thank you!

If you decide to go for a flatscreen as well, get an LG Flatron M227WD if you can find one with s-video. I know it's easier here in Europe, but I bought on six months ago and it handles VGA (thus ST mono), SCART, s-video - I haven't found an Atari yet which won't work well with it. I have the leads for three Ataris permanently plugged into the back panel.

Metalguy - that was a good explanation about flat screens/lcd's and I had been wondering how like a 32" LCD would work out with an Atari.. I may still do it, but at least I know now what to expect.

I picked up a 1702 with a recent haul, and in trying to use the cable that came with the haul I'm not sure if its the cable or the monitor - or possibly the output of the atari.

The cable has a black, white, red and yellow splitout (RCA) - with the red having some tape around it.. I attempted to use the black and white cables as audio, and then the red and yellow in their appropriate spots on the back of the 1702, but all I get is a screen with bad vertical and horizontal, and I am unable to fix it via the V and H knobs..

I didnt try switching things around much - and the guy I got the stuff from said the cable was a commodore cable and I would just have to "mess with the connections" till I got it right.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the proper way to hook this up is? If I spend enough time with it I will just buy a new atari specific cable off of ebay for 9.99 - but thought I would ask here first.

thanks..

That guy lied to you.. If that's a commodore cable, then theres no way to use it for chroma/luma on the atari.. You can use it for audio and composite video..

On the Atari, pin 5 is chroma output.. On trhe commodore, pin 5 is +5VDC.. so you see, theres no way that one of those RCA jacks goes to the proper pin on the ATARI-END, if that cable was made for a Commodore..

If you want to use it for composite video (the inputs on the FRONT of the 1702) then first, turn the volume up on the 1702, turn the atari on, and hold down a key.. plug each rca jack into the audio, one at a time until you hear the key repeat noise in the speaker.. Then, trey the remaining two RCA connectors, one at a time in the video input RCA jack until you get a color picture.. Oh and make sure the 1702 is switched to "front inputs"..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

For my "game-playing" computer, I use a regular Samsung 13" CRT TV (fortunately I bought it new just before everyone went to LCD), but I also have a 1702, and I'm going to set that up as my primary display for my 130XE. For my XEP80, I use an Amdek 300A amber monochrome composite display, which I really like.

I vote for the Commodore 1702 also. The small screen size doesn't really matter to me, as it's just set up in my bedroom... when I had an Atari in the living room, I used a 32" CRT, but the image quality wasn't really all that great (was OK for playing games while sitting on the couch, since my nearsighted eyes couldn't see the imperfections at that distance)

didnt realize there were normal inputs on the front or I would have tried that... as a matter of fact, im not sure where they could be on the front unless I've quoted the monitor model incorrectly.. It has two BIG roundish knobs on the front, same big round knob on the left hand side for power - and then ports on the back with a commodore/video switch..

I will look when I get home.. thanks for the info regardless..

thanks..

That guy lied to you.. If that's a commodore cable, then theres no way to use it for chroma/luma on the atari.. You can use it for audio and composite video..

On the Atari, pin 5 is chroma output.. On trhe commodore, pin 5 is +5VDC.. so you see, theres no way that one of those RCA jacks goes to the proper pin on the ATARI-END, if that cable was made for a Commodore..

If you want to use it for composite video (the inputs on the FRONT of the 1702) then first, turn the volume up on the 1702, turn the atari on, and hold down a key.. plug each rca jack into the audio, one at a time until you hear the key repeat noise in the speaker.. Then, trey the remaining two RCA connectors, one at a time in the video input RCA jack until you get a color picture.. Oh and make sure the 1702 is switched to "front inputs"..

didnt realize there were normal inputs on the front or I would have tried that... as a matter of fact, im not sure where they could be on the front unless I've quoted the monitor model incorrectly.. It has two BIG roundish knobs on the front, same big round knob on the left hand side for power - and then ports on the back with a commodore/video switch..

I will look when I get home.. thanks for the info regardless..

thanks..

Oh. You have the redesigned 1702 (usually branded CM-141), with the clear plastic shield over the screen.. Yeah they moved all the inputs to the back on that model..

cm141.gif

The original 1702 was just like the 1701.. It had the composite inputs on the front, and the chroma/luma inputs on the back, with a switch that would switch between the two..

1702a.jpg

so yeah.. do what I said, except the composite inputs are also on the back..

And you want it switched to "video" not "commodore".

Edited by MEtalGuy66

But the PAL ones do not handle NTSC Atari Computers,7800's or 26oo's at all well either on composite or s-video:(

Back to the 1084:love:

Hello guys

The Funai LCD-A 1506 is very nice. I haven't tested one myself, but I've seen them at the Fujiama and Nomam meetings and have now bought one. It just hasn't arrived yet.

greetings

Mathy

PS not sure if it will do NTSC, but works fine with PAL.

1702 it is then. I actually have a spare one in the basement but it doesn't have any sound so I need to crack it open and see what's amiss....

Hi

My 1702 had sound issues too, I checked inside the monitor and figure out the problem was in the PCB that holds the front/back selector. In that PCB there was a wire that was victim of metal fatigue, probably because of all those years when the monitor was turned on and off. I replaced that piece of wire, and everything was fine. I hope this information helps troubleshooting your monitor, Tempest.

Regards

I recently started using the JVC TM-A13SU monitor. I primarily wanted it because it does NTSC and PAL, here in Yankeeland. I just bought a 2nd one from Ebay - this time much, much cheaper. I was in a hurry for the first one, and all they had were $150-$200 listings on Ebay; some of the highest price ones were "brand new in box."

The first one I bought, I feel like I overpaid; it was $99 but only $15 shipping - which I knew was too cheap for shipping. It came FedEx and it must have cost more than that. So it was $115 to my door. It is really nice, however. I probably couldn't get $10 if I tried to sell it locally.....

The 2nd one I just bought is listed again - this guy is selling multiples off the same ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-TM-A13SU-13-Professional-Monitor-Color_W0QQitemZ280445130869QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414bd51875

I "won" it for the minimum bid - $5.99 (plus $28.37 shipping) so it will be around $35 to my door. That's more like it. I hope it's nice, but if it isn't as nice as the first one, that's ok, considering price. Nobody (at all) bid on it, besides me. "Bryan" (AA username) bought one from the same seller.

If you get one of those, and a cable for A8 such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-S-Video-Composite-A-V-cable-to-TV-800-65xe-130xe_W0QQitemZ260517423716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca80c6a64

.....you have a really, really sharp display, even if you don't need the PAL capability.

I also have to agree with Metalguy66 on the Commodore 1702. If you don't need PAL (assuming you're a Yankee in Yankeeland) then I really like the 1702. As was said earlier in the thread, the cable is different. This JVC has a standard S-video (4-pin miniDIN) input rather than the chroma/luma inputs. It will take composite on either (of 2) inputs but you need BNC(male) to RCA (female) adapter plug also available cheap on Ebay.

I would have bought a 1702 as the 2nd monitor but the 2nd JVC was so cheap. I may still get one, one day. I have a C64 that it would look snazzy with.

yea - this is it: http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/mecomp3.html

cm-141.. i will use it to test all of this stuff with - but as i cleaned it this evening i realized that there is simply no way i could use it due to its small size and my ever worsening eyesight.

with that said, i may start a thread later about what the best LARGE display would be to use with atari/c64 machines - with possible dual duty for an xbox360..

Great shame the Atari SC1224 monitor is RGB only (confined to the ST) because they look damned smart and are often on ebay. They have green power LEDs too! icon_mrgreen.gif

There was once a photo of an XE with a colour monitor behind it on the cover of Page 6 magazine or some such - I assume this was a complete non-sequitur?

Oh, and why is the 1702 more desirable than the 1701?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Like I said.. If your only criteria is to see a sharp 80 column display, then you may want to consider an LCD..

If its important to you to see exactly what you should be seeing in all possible situations.. There is no LCD that can measure up..

80 columns is not my priority. A crisp and clear picture for gaming is my priority. The TV is nice, but even with various video upgrades there's a little fuzziness that isn't there when you use a monitor. Then again, game developers may have planned for that fuzziness so I wonder if some games will look worse on a monitor?

1702 it is then. I actually have a spare one in the basement but it doesn't have any sound so I need to crack it open and see what's amiss....

Hi

My 1702 had sound issues too, I checked inside the monitor and figure out the problem was in the PCB that holds the front/back selector. In that PCB there was a wire that was victim of metal fatigue, probably because of all those years when the monitor was turned on and off. I replaced that piece of wire, and everything was fine. I hope this information helps troubleshooting your monitor, Tempest.

Regards

I'll look at that when I crack it open. Thanks!

Tempest

The LG M237WD seems to be available here in the states. I've been debating whether or not to pull the trigger on one. I've tried a 20" CRT TV and a 20 inch EDTV LCD and neither worked as well as I would like. I had a Commodore 1702A monitor, but 13" is just too small when you're used to larger displays. I had an Amdek color monitor back in the day and it was great, but those are hard to find.

David