IGNORED

Circus Atari

Gigabyte

I never played Circus Atari BitD. I didn't play it until I picked up a Jakk's Pacific Plug & Play stick a few years ago, which is what got me back into Atari after all these years. It's one of those games I never would have bought, I mean, come on, clowns on a teeter-totter? How juvenile! The sparse graphics don't help. But it was on the stick so I played it, and what a difference playing it makes! So addicting! Can't put it down! Just one... more... play... :lol: Now I try not to allow prejudice to affect my opinion of a game; you just never know until you play it.

Anyway, after playing it a while on that Jakks stick, I got to thinking, "Hmm, wouldn't this be better as a paddle game?" :dunce:

My first acquisition of some real Atari hardware was a Vader shortly after that.

I snagged a copy of Circus Atari about 2 months ago. When I do play paddle games, it makes the rotation before I move back to joysticks...

Exactly. [edit]You just can't let a "paddle phase" pass without playing Circus Atari.[/edit]

...I think I have some freakish natural talent for the game. I guess that makes me Circus People.

:rolling:

I play the joystick hack of Circus ;)

Blasphemy! :D

Good gravy Marie, why?

[edit]Never mind, didn't catch that ;) the first time...[/edit]

...we had no idea it was completely derivitive. Turns out: so is Circus Atari, it's a clone of a 1977 arcade machine...

Uh, 'round these parts, we call that an arcade conversion. Therefore, "derivative" is the whole point! :)

-tet

Edited by tetrode kink

• 5 months later...

I have a set or 2 of paddles, but they don't work. I don't even have a real Atari right now, just my Flashback 2, Activision Anthology, and Stella. With all the game choices, however, I still can't get enough Circus. Stella was slowing down in fullscreen mode, but setting the framerate to 60 and using OpenGL instead of software rendering both seemed to help.

In a way, this game makes me sick. How many clowns must be killed for our entertainment?

If you want to play Circus Atari on something other than a real 2600, skip the Jakks joystick; your best option is the 13-in-1 paddle (I wrote a review of it years ago). In my opinion, having the authentic Circus Atari and Arcade Warlords in one plug-and-play unit is enough to justify the purchase price, and they're probably pretty cheap nowadays.

Funny thing is I never owned this game when Atari was in its heyday. Never even played it until the early 90's when I started collecting.

Same here... I never had a copy back in the day (and none of my friends did either), so the first time I played it was in an emulator in the 90s. It's super-addicting.

--Will

I'm the opposite. That was one of the first games I got when I finally got my Atari back in the day because my friend had it. I remember my mom laughing whenever one of the acrobats splatted on the floor.

Circus Atari, is alright. I wouldn't call it a favorite, as I liked it better when I first was playing it, same with Video Pinball. Though Circus is better faster action then the dull/slow Pinball.

I personally like Thunderball and Acrobats better on Odyssey 2. This wasn't my original feeling, but after practice and playing them, they are somewhat underrated.

Human Cannonball is not so bad. Sorta like Sky Diver in the fact, they're timing and precision type games. Not meant to be full of thrill or effect.

Well lucky me finally picked up the cart today, so I'm playing on a real system with a paddle now :) The only problem? I'm better with the joystick than the paddle! Even though the paddle controls better... I can't figure out why.

How about we get a little Circus Atari leaderboard going? Only games played after reading this topic count. Just add your score and initials. Stella is fine, but be sure to set the frames to 60 ;) Delete your old scores; you only get one on the leaderboard. My 1040 sucks, but it's the best I've done recently.

1. 1040 Gigabyte

Well lucky me finally picked up the cart today, so I'm playing on a real system with a paddle now :) The only problem? I'm better with the joystick than the paddle! Even though the paddle controls better... I can't figure out why.

How about we get a little Circus Atari leaderboard going? Only games played after reading this topic count. Just add your score and initials. Stella is fine, but be sure to set the frames to 60 ;) Delete your old scores; you only get one on the leaderboard. My 1040 sucks, but it's the best I've done recently.

1. 1040 Gigabyte

Interesting. It's very unusual for me not to break 1000. What's your high score on the joystick version? I couldn't play it worth beans.

You might try practicing on A difficulty for a while then switch back to B. I bet a nickel that will improve your score.

Edited by BigO

In a way, this game makes me sick. How many clowns must be killed for our entertainment?

It's not my fault I kill clowns. You're acting like I want to. I suck at this game.

The Clowns knew the occupational hazards when they accepted their job offer.

No they didn't. Do you see the way they flail around while airborne? That's not professional. If the 2600 had better sound they'd be screaming the whole time.

Regardless, sucking at this game has great rewards... :D

True Atari confession... this is the first time I have every played this game. Really is a great game.

High score after about 45 minutes of play... 1318. In true HSC tradition - a picture...

post-11623-127897156395_thumb.jpg

I have a set or 2 of paddles, but they don't work.

Clean your paddles! The paddles were one of the most unique things about the 2600. I just cleaned out a Super Pong last night with this stuff, available at your local AutoZone. TV tuner cleaner/contact cleaner from Radio Shack will work too. I like the MAF cleaner though, slightly larger hydrocarbons so they don't evaporate quite as quickly. Gives you more time to work the pot back and forth to smooth out any tarnish that may be on the contact inside. Just stick the nozzle in any available crack in the pot, and blast it. Work the pot until it's dry. You'll be ready to go in 5 minutes.

True Atari confession... this is the first time I have every played this game. Really is a great game.

High score after about 45 minutes of play... 1318. In true HSC tradition - a picture...

post-11623-127897156395_thumb.jpg

Aww, really, dude? Playing your Atari on a widescreen? Really??!

Man, if you must do that, at least get into the menus and tell your TV to stop stretching NTSC signals to 16 x 9. Atari should be played at 4 x 3, as Lord Bushnell intended.

:D ;)

-tet

@tetrode kink - I'm committing all sorts of sins.

svideo instead of RF.

LCD instead of CRT

stereo instead of mono

Harmony cart instead of the original cart

The only thing not being done is using an emulator.

So not much old school cred for me on this one. :P

Edited by Zoyx