IGNORED

source code to a small bbs?

just wondering if anyone monitoring this thread has code to a small bbs type program for the atari... what would be ideal would be something like this:

connect

welcome.atascii

login

login.atascii

news.atascii

main menu/command prompt

- show welcome message

- show this menu

- message menu

- page sysop

- list users

- message user

- other bbs's

- goodbye

logoff.atascii

in other words - i am mainly interested in the login subsystem and the messaging subsystem. but i know first hand that taking a complete bbs and ripping the file areas out is not terribly easy to do, and i would also prefer some unwritten code that hasnt really seen much exposure rather than working with something everyone is familiar with.

its a longshot, but i thought i would ask...

just wondering if anyone monitoring this thread has code to a small bbs type program for the atari... what would be ideal would be something like this:

connect

welcome.atascii

login

login.atascii

news.atascii

main menu/command prompt

- show welcome message

- show this menu

- message menu

- page sysop

- list users

- message user

- other bbs's

- goodbye

logoff.atascii

in other words - i am mainly interested in the login subsystem and the messaging subsystem. but i know first hand that taking a complete bbs and ripping the file areas out is not terribly easy to do, and i would also prefer some unwritten code that hasnt really seen much exposure rather than working with something everyone is familiar with.

Doesn't really help but i remember reading a particular BBS was written in Action!. If you find anything please repost here as I am interested in taking a look.

connect

welcome.atascii

login

login.atascii

news.atascii

main menu/command prompt

- show welcome message

- show this menu

- message menu

- page sysop

- list users

- message user

- other bbs's

- goodbye

logoff.atascii

Doesn't really help but i remember reading a particular BBS was written in Action!. If you find anything please repost here as I am interested in taking a look.

yes.. im pretty sure express bbs was written in Action - but its much bigger than what i would want to play around with.

what i would prefer would be similar to the pc bbs scene where there were GOBS of bbs source code that has everything but the file areas since file areas were fairly difficult to code due to protocols and so on..

it was a different world in the early and mid 80's though and so much has been lost so who knows if i will find anything.

connect

welcome.atascii

login

login.atascii

news.atascii

main menu/command prompt

- show welcome message

- show this menu

- message menu

- page sysop

- list users

- message user

- other bbs's

- goodbye

logoff.atascii

yes.. im pretty sure express bbs was written in Action - but its much bigger than what i would want to play around with.

what i would prefer would be similar to the pc bbs scene where there were GOBS of bbs source code that has everything but the file areas since file areas were fairly difficult to code due to protocols and so on..

it was a different world in the early and mid 80's though and so much has been lost so who knows if i will find anything.

I usedx to spend a lot of time playing with Fidonet boards when my work got courier hst modems. personally I always wanted to play with writing a mud remember those?

Multi user text adventure...hmm that could be fun on an 8 bit atari :-)

If you want just a very basic board, you could look into coding one yourself. Possibly look into using cc65 so you can do it in C.

You looking to setup a BBS on a single 8-bit and connect it to the internet? Or using an actual dial up modem? I saw the list users. So are you looking for a multi-line (internet or dialup) setup?

Thanks for the reply.

C probably wouldn't be my best choice.. I'm a VB/Delphi/Adobe Flex/XML/ASP kind of guy, which are all languages much closer to atari basic than C. C and I just dont get along very well. :)

Honestly, my interest is more personal than anything else. I have the "Carina on a stick" project for any "real bbs" I wanted to put online.

This would be simply to add to my collection of BBS software, and to plink around with modifying from time to time so I could feel like I am 13 again sitting in my bedroom listening to my brand new Queensryche Rage for Order album, sneaking beers from my parents and coding on my marshware BBS setup that I ran.

Nostalgia mostly...

If you want just a very basic board, you could look into coding one yourself. Possibly look into using cc65 so you can do it in C.

You looking to setup a BBS on a single 8-bit and connect it to the internet? Or using an actual dial up modem? I saw the list users. So are you looking for a multi-line (internet or dialup) setup?

i have an old hard copy for amis (atari message interchange system IIRC) it written entirly in basic... but it is only a hardcopy...

sloopy.

sloopy - is it an original disk distributed by the creator of AMIS, or is it a working BBS disk that you either used to run or aquired from someone who did?

if the latter, i would like to get a copy of it.

hard copy aka print out... i know a friend ran it for a short while, then went to bbs express... and this was a printout of the actual code he ran, where he got it from i dont know, this was probly 86/87 sometime... i will dig it out and take a look...

sloopy.

How hard would it be to create a simple chat room in Aatri BASIC?

I have the following hardware available to use for this:

I have 2 modems SX212 and XM301.

I also have an 800XL and 400 and 1040 ST and Floppy Drive with DOS 2 and cassette recorder (and loads of other stuff).

I would not mind creating a simple chat room and eventually making a MUD...

How hard would it be to create a simple chat room in Aatri BASIC?

I have the following hardware available to use for this:

I have 2 modems SX212 and XM301.

I also have an 800XL and 400 and 1040 ST and Floppy Drive with DOS 2 and cassette recorder (and loads of other stuff).

I would not mind creating a simple chat room and eventually making a MUD...

would be very simple to make... if strictly dial up the 800XL, floppy and two modems would work, but would probly limit the chat room to three people (sysop and two users), another way would be with a p:r: connection or 850, hooked to a unix machine (or 2/4 modems) and have telnet access, if you have a decent always on inet connection... as for the ST i dont know your options there, i am not familiar with ST side of things...

sloopy.