IGNORED

Enabling 5200 joystick input

Hello, amateur 5200 assembler here with some input problems.

I'm currently trying to write a simple program that just places a sprite on the screen that can be manipulated with the joystick. I have this working perfectly via an emulator, but when I run my code on an actual console, I only get 0s from the joystick.

After doing tons of research, I think I must be missing some sort of enabling bit somewhere that just isn't handled correctly in the emulator. I learned that I need to set bit 2 of CONSOL, and I've done this, but I must be missing something else.

Are there any flags that need to be dealt with to get joystick input, and if so, what are they?

5200 uses the POTn registers on Pokey for the stick directions, so a POTGO sequence is needed each VBlank.

I'm not sure if that's done automatically by the 5200 BIOS, but it should be documented somewhere.

The documentation I found says that POTGO is fired by the default VBI routine, which I haven't changed. Just to be on the safe side, I tried doing it manually in my code, but to no avail.

I can't seem to find any sample source that illustrates joystick input. I guess I just need to keep looking.