IGNORED

Best version of Dig-Dug

Pacfan97

I often like to play Dig-Dug on my PC. I had a lot of people that said Dig-Dug was similar to Pac-Man. I don't really know what makes it similar to Pac-Man. But I heard Dig-Dug was a really fun game. Dig-Dug was terrible on Atari 2600, and Intellivision. In my opinion, it was pretty good on the 5200, even the 7800, which had the 2600 sounds. I really like the one for MAME because it has perfect graphics and animation. I also have Dig-Dug II for MAME which uses multiple fire buttons:

1: Harpoon

2: Drill

Those are the objects you use in Dig-Dug II. I kinda like New Dig-Dug for Gameboy which had bombs, weights, boulders, keys, and more. Whats the best version of Dig-Dug in YOUR opinion? The best version of Dig-Dug in my opinion was for MAME.

icon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gif

7800 is the best version and the 5200 is nice also.

The 2600 is impressive for that system. I don't know if there's a potential "Dig Dug Arcade" project there or not.

Mr. Do! is an excellent game. I prefer Mr. Do! over Dig Dug in the arcade and on home console (ColecoVision versus any Dig Dug Atari ports).

I played a lot of 2600 Dig Dug... can't say I've played the 7800 version (but soon I'll be able to!). The improvements made with the 7800 should make a pretty good game even better!

I played Dig Dug in the arcades back in the day but that was a long time ago... man I miss the old arcades... mind you, in order for an arcade to make money I'd think all games would have to be $1.00 a play (instead of 25 cents)... ahh the glorious days of yesteryear. :)

I often like to play Dig-Dug on my PC. I had a lot of people that said Dig-Dug was similar to Pac-Man. I don't really know what makes it similar to Pac-Man. But I heard Dig-Dug was a really fun game. Dig-Dug was terrible on Atari 2600, and Intellivision. In my opinion, it was pretty good on the 5200, even the 7800, which had the 2600 sounds. I really like the one for MAME because it has perfect graphics and animation. I also have Dig-Dug II for MAME which uses multiple fire buttons:

1: Harpoon

2: Drill

Those are the objects you use in Dig-Dug II. I kinda like New Dig-Dug for Gameboy which had bombs, weights, boulders, keys, and more. Whats the best version of Dig-Dug in YOUR opinion? The best version of Dig-Dug in my opinion was for MAME.

icon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gif

What´s wrong with Dig Dug on 2600? I loved this game on my VCS. Even the 7800 version is better (gfx) I was a but disappointed when I heard the same (decent) VCS sounds again...

Mister Driller? :D

Best version of Dig Dug is "Zig Zag" arcade! (playable on mame)

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10533

The Colecovision (prototype) conversion is really good.

But i love the Atari 2600 too, that was my first experience with digdug back in time and it stays the reference for me.

Edited by youki

The 2600 is impressive for that system. I don't know if there's a potential "Dig Dug Arcade" project there or not.

I'd say this is a good candidate. :cool: The improved sprites make a world of difference.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/145198-playable-2600-dig-dug-arcade-gfx-hack/

1) I thought I had heard that Mr. Do! actually pre-dated Dig Dug....checked Wikipedia (yeah, I know), though, but that wasn't very helpful...all I could ascertain was that Mr. Do! came out in June 1982, and Dig Dug came out in 1982...

2) Personally, the best home version, at least, that I've played is the Atari 8-bit computer version, specifically on my brother's Atari 65XE. The graphics were spot-on, as was the sound. It was just like playing the arcade game at home, as far as I was concerned.

I'd say this is a good candidate. :cool: The improved sprites make a world of difference.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/145198-playable-2600-dig-dug-arcade-gfx-hack/

The only thing that bothered me about the original VCS Dig Dug were the "boulders" and according to the screenshot it hasn't changed.

1) I thought I had heard that Mr. Do! actually pre-dated Dig Dug....checked Wikipedia (yeah, I know), though, but that wasn't very helpful...all I could ascertain was that Mr. Do! came out in June 1982, and Dig Dug came out in 1982...

2) Personally, the best home version, at least, that I've played is the Atari 8-bit computer version, specifically on my brother's Atari 65XE. The graphics were spot-on, as was the sound. It was just like playing the arcade game at home, as far as I was concerned.

1) I figure both are about from the same time since I played both in the two-plays-for-one-token room at my local arcade when they had been out a while. Mr. Do is probably the buggiest game of the two. I remember Mousetrap, BurgerTime, and Kangaroo also being in that room.

2) About the only thing the 8-bit version of Mr. Do is lacking is the "Wonderful" screen after every 10 boards. It's easier than the arcade but plays a lot closer to the real thing than the Commodore 64 version.

For those saying the A8 version is best, which version do you play? The original 1982 one, or the "fixed"/post-5200 one from 1983?

You can see pictures of the screens here: AtariMania Dig Dug

The 1982 release had a lot better graphics, but the 1983 version plays better in my experience.

Pacfan97 MAME Dig Dug is not a conversion its just the arcade game being emulated :roll:

The 7800 version is the best though.

Well Laird, the best conversion of Dig-Dug in my opinion was the 7800 version.

P.S. Thanks for letting me know that MAME games are not conversions. icon_thumbsup.gif