IGNORED

7800 joystick options

tkarner

The 7800 joysticks are some of the coolest looking joysticks ever... and the most uncomfortable. For one button games I just use a 2600 stick. What is available for two button games? I know about the game pad and will probably get one but sometimes a joystick is just better. Are there any third party choices? Will I have to build something myself?

I agree with you on the prolines.

If you can't solder, you can buy a euro 7800 gamepad or a pre-modded nes/sms/genesis pad.

If you can solder, you can mod any type of gamepad with a genesis extension cable. It involves a few cut traces, a few resistors, and a bit of rewire, but the result is well worth it. I now refuse to play the 7800 without it.

IMO Genesis controllers are the easiest, though I haven't tried SMS. They already have all the wires present in the cable, so you don't need the extension.

I have a pair of $5 well-rated new Genesis controllers coming from Deal Extreme that will be modded just like my existing 7800-modded original Genesis pad.

I did this with a 2-button Epyx 500xj that was originally for the Sega Master System.

The SMS controllers are the easiest to mod, but a lot of these arcade ports play much better with a stick than with a pad. The Epyx 500 stick is by far the best available with two buttons, as it's all microswitches, so it's very responsive and extremely reliable.

I'm still offering new Radica Space Invaders arcade joystick controllers for the 7800 (although my price is now $40 per controller rather than the original $35). I started building them about four years ago, and I still use them almost exclusively for all my Atari systems. PM me if you're interested!

Speaking of which, how is the quality of the stick and buttons on these? Is it as good as some of the X-Arcade/Ultimarc stuff?

I have an X-arcade universal stick that I use for MAME and I love it, but I don't want to buy a whole huge rig like that just for the 7800.

Speaking of which, how is the quality of the stick and buttons on these? Is it as good as some of the X-Arcade/Ultimarc stuff?

I have an X-arcade universal stick that I use for MAME and I love it, but I don't want to buy a whole huge rig like that just for the 7800.

In my experience, the joystick is very solid and durable. It uses four microswitches, so you can hear the joystick "click" as it moves, much like the 500XJ. The microswitches are very inexpensive and easy to find, so if they ever wear out, they can be replaced. Considering that this joystick mechanism was originally designed for an inexpensive TV-game unit, I'm really amazed at what they were able to do with it. The X-Arcade is a $200 unit that uses genuine arcade controls, so of course the RSI won't be quite as good as that, but in my opinion it comes surprisingly close.

The action buttons are rubber-dome buttons, not quite as good as the joystick switches but still better than the buttons Atari used in the CX78 gamepad (the so-called "Euro controller"). They aren't mushy or loose at all. The button assemblies are removable, so I suppose they could be upgraded with real arcade buttons, but I've never felt the need to do so.

What I like about the buttons is that, since there are four of them, you can be really creative in how you wire them up. The rightmost pair usually mirrors the leftmost pair, but it can also be connected to the left and right directionals (this is what I did with my own sticks). This gives more authentic controls for games like Space Invaders and Asteroids, which used left/right buttons in the arcade, as well as a set of "running" buttons for games like Track and Field. Or, if you happen to be left-handed, you can wire up the leftmost buttons to the directionals instead.

In my experience, the joystick is very solid and durable. It uses four microswitches, so you can hear the joystick "click" as it moves, much like the 500XJ. The microswitches are very inexpensive and easy to find, so if they ever wear out, they can be replaced. Considering that this joystick mechanism was originally designed for an inexpensive TV-game unit, I'm really amazed at what they were able to do with it. The X-Arcade is a $200 unit that uses genuine arcade controls, so of course the RSI won't be quite as good as that, but in my opinion it comes surprisingly close.

The action buttons are rubber-dome buttons, not quite as good as the joystick switches but still better than the buttons Atari used in the CX78 gamepad (the so-called "Euro controller"). They aren't mushy or loose at all. The button assemblies are removable, so I suppose they could be upgraded with real arcade buttons, but I've never felt the need to do so.

What I like about the buttons is that, since there are four of them, you can be really creative in how you wire them up. The rightmost pair usually mirrors the leftmost pair, but it can also be connected to the left and right directionals (this is what I did with my own sticks). This gives more authentic controls for games like Space Invaders and Asteroids, which used left/right buttons in the arcade, as well as a set of "running" buttons for games like Track and Field. Or, if you happen to be left-handed, you can wire up the leftmost buttons to the directionals instead.

interesting.

You could make a Stargate controller out of the for 2600 Stargate/Defender II.

interesting.

You could make a Stargate controller out of the for 2600 Stargate/Defender II.

Absolutely. That would require a second joystick cable, so I would probably enlarge the old A/V cable slot on the back of the joystick and mount the cable there. I'm already using the old AC adapter slot for the main joystick cable, and luckily enough, it's a perfect fit.

I'm still offering new Radica Space Invaders arcade joystick controllers for the 7800 (although my price is now $40 per controller rather than the original $35). I started building them about four years ago, and I still use them almost exclusively for all my Atari systems. PM me if you're interested!

I recommend the Radica stick. I made it myself to save a couple bucks, but it requires some resistors and soldering. So if you aren't comfortable doing that, but you want a good two-button joystick for the 7800, take jaybird up on the offer.

I really like the Radica for Xevious and Ninja Golf.

The Radica joystick is great for 2/4-way games. I have a hard time using diagonals with it though.

The buttons are acceptable, though not as good as the joystick.

It's my favorite controller for Pac Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc. I don't like it for Choplifter, Food Fight, or anything where I need to move diagonally.

The Radica joystick is great for 2/4-way games. I have a hard time using diagonals with it though.

The buttons are acceptable, though not as good as the joystick.

It's my favorite controller for Pac Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc. I don't like it for Choplifter, Food Fight, or anything where I need to move diagonally.

This issue has been brought to my attention, too. When I get some projects out of the way, I'm going to take a look inside the joystick assembly to see if there is a way of improving its ability to register diagonals.

I hope the diagonals can be fixed on the Radica stick. It seems like a nice joystick otherwise but 8-way games are a bummer.

I'll be taking one of mine apart early next week to see how the diagonals can be improved. From the quick look I've done so far, the restrictor plate on the joystick assembly is a simple square gate, so there's probably not much to be done with that, but I still think that it might be possible to modify the shaft to make better contact with the diagonals.

I hope the diagonals can be fixed on the Radica stick. It seems like a nice joystick otherwise but 8-way games are a bummer.

I switch between a Radica stick and a Genesis pad, using the radica most of the time. The Genesis pad only gives 1 working button for Atari, but I don't know many games that need good diagonals and also 2 buttons. I prefer the radica unless diagonals are a major issue.

To be more specific, to me it seems the radica registers diagonals fine, but it gets physically stiff when you leave the 4-way axes. That makes it hard to do diagonals quickly.

It's been a while since I used it though, I haven't had my 7800 hooked up recently.

Edited by gdement

I switch between a Radica stick and a Genesis pad, using the radica most of the time. The Genesis pad only gives 1 working button for Atari, but I don't know many games that need good diagonals and also 2 buttons. I prefer the radica unless diagonals are a major issue.

To be more specific, to me it seems the radica registers diagonals fine, but it gets physically stiff when you leave the 4-way axes. That makes it hard to do diagonals quickly.

It's been a while since I used it though, I haven't had my 7800 hooked up recently.

The main issue with the Radica stick seems to be that the engage zones for the diagonals are much more narrow than those of the primary directions, so it's much harder to hit them perfectly without using a "rolling" motion (between "up" and "left" to find the upper-left diagonal, for example). I found some good information on this website, which contains a picture of several arcade joystick assemblies in the "Engage" section. If I remember correctly, the Sanwa JLF assembly (the second from the right, with the red and black microswitches) most closely resembles the one used in the Radica joysticks; both designs use the same microswitches, without actuators.

I'll be taking one of mine apart early next week to see how the diagonals can be improved. From the quick look I've done so far, the restrictor plate on the joystick assembly is a simple square gate, so there's probably not much to be done with that, but I still think that it might be possible to modify the shaft to make better contact with the diagonals.

Here's hoping, I'm glad you're taking a look at it because Lord knows I'd only make things worse if I tried to "fix" it. :P

And you're right, gdement, the Genesis pads are pretty spiffy for 8 way gaming. I actually ended up getting a bundle on eBay that had 2 TAC-5s, 2 TAC-2s, and a pair of paddles. Very excited to try out the TAC-2s. :)

Edited by mugenmidget

The main issue with the Radica stick seems to be that the engage zones for the diagonals are much more narrow than those of the primary directions, so it's much harder to hit them perfectly without using a "rolling" motion (between "up" and "left" to find the upper-left diagonal, for example). I found some good information on this website, which contains a picture of several arcade joystick assemblies in the "Engage" section. If I remember correctly, the Sanwa JLF assembly (the second from the right, with the red and black microswitches) most closely resembles the one used in the Radica joysticks; both designs use the same microswitches, without actuators.

I didn't realize this until I played Tank Command with the Radica. Going diagonal is a pain. Is there anyway to "fix" or improve this?

I didn't realize this until I played Tank Command with the Radica. Going diagonal is a pain. Is there anyway to "fix" or improve this?

I've been sick, so I haven't gotten to it yet, but I do have a "spare parts" joystick that I still intend to open up and experiment with. At the website I linked to earlier, there are pictures of several arcade joystick assemblies, including one that has a square-shaped joystick shaft (the Radica uses a round shaft) and several different restrictor configurations. I'm hoping that either a new restrictor gate or a different shaft is all that will be needed, since there isn't any room inside the Radica assembly for additional microswitches or for switches with actuators.

I'll post some pictures of the inside of the Radica stick, in case someone with more experience with arcade controls knows an easy way to improve diagonal responsiveness.

I have an adapter that allows me to use any standard NES/SNES controller on mine. So typically I use the SNES pad or the NES Advantage when playing. I also have an adapter that allows Sega pads to work w/both buttons, but it only works on the 3-button controllers. The plans for the Sega adapter are in the 7800 FAQ on this site. I built the NES/SNES adapter using a microcontroller myself -- though I've seen plans somewhere online that involve using a SIPO shift register and a 555 timer.

I did have a Radica 7800 stick but ended up selling it, though I kinda regret it now. It worked great on my ColecoVision too.

I'm not to familiar with the 7800… I had adopted my sisters console as she was the Atari gamer of the family, but will a SMS controller work without issue? or am I reading correct that modification is required? how about a Sega Genesis controller? specifically a 6-button model?

I'm not to familiar with the 7800… I had adopted my sisters console as she was the Atari gamer of the family, but will a SMS controller work without issue? or am I reading correct that modification is required? how about a Sega Genesis controller? specifically a 6-button model?

Both the SMS and Genesis controllers will work with the 7800, but with only one of the action buttons; it maps to the 2600 action button. The 7800 two-button mode is different and neither controller is compatible with it (without modification); fortunately, relatively few 7800 games require it.

• Like 1

Both the SMS and Genesis controllers will work with the 7800, but with only one of the action buttons; it maps to the 2600 action button. The 7800 two-button mode is different and neither controller is compatible with it (without modification); fortunately, relatively few 7800 games require it.

thank you for the informations!

is there a list of what games require both buttons? I do have the original joystick if needed, but I would prefer a more comfortable controller where applicaple.