IGNORED

Flashback 2.0 EOL?

So before Christmas Amazon was carrying the Atari Flashback 2.0 for around $40. Now Amazon is out of stock, and the Amazon sellers that still have flashbacks for sale are asking $140 and up.

I haven't seen any definitive story or anything, but has the Flashback 2.0 been discontinued? It would be nice if it were just end-of-lifed to make room for the next iteration of the Atari Flashback, but based on the posts here it seems that this is still months (or years?) before an Atari Flashback 3 may be available for purchase.

Can anyone clarify exactly what is going on? Is there an official press release of some kind from Atari? Mostly I'd like to know whether it's worth duking it out on eBay for one of the few units available there. If we could be pretty confident that the 3.0 will be released within the next year or so, and would be a similar product (playing old 2600 and 7800 games on your TV, but maybe with more games built in and perhaps some sort of expansion slot for yet more games), then I'd be inclined to just wait.

Welcome to AtariAge :)

I haven't seen any definitive story or anything, but has the Flashback 2.0 been discontinued? It would be nice if it were just end-of-lifed to make room for the next iteration of the Atari Flashback, but based on the posts here it seems that this is still months (or years?) before an Atari Flashback 3 may be available for purchase.

Can anyone clarify exactly what is going on? Is there an official press release of some kind from Atari? Mostly I'd like to know whether it's worth duking it out on eBay for one of the few units available there. If we could be pretty confident that the 3.0 will be released within the next year or so, and would be a similar product (playing old 2600 and 7800 games on your TV, but maybe with more games built in and perhaps some sort of expansion slot for yet more games), then I'd be inclined to just wait.

The FB2 has been discontinued for about 4 years now. Check this thread for the status of the FB3.

$140 and up?!!? LOL ... well, that's just like Amazon or anywhere else. You can find stuff for stupid crazy prices on anything, but you can also find good prices if you look. I just sold one for $22 a few weeks back, and a bunch of others sold here slowly for not much more than that ($25 I think). They do turn up, it's not like they are anywhere near rare. Anyone paying $140 for one would have to be pretty crazy.

Rather sad that the product has been discontinued for 4 years and yet Amazon only just sold out its own stock . . .

I agree that the Amazon Marketplace sellers are being a little silly with their asking prices. One just sold new in box for around $30 (including shipping) on eBay. Wish me happy hunting.

Rather sad that the product has been discontinued for 4 years and yet Amazon only just sold out its own stock . . .

Most products are manufactured in batches. An assembly line will be set up, a bunch of product will be produced, and then the assembly line will be taken down and the equipment rearranged to produce something else. Given that the majority of people who would ever buy an FB2 would likely do so within a year of its becoming easily available, Legacy Engineering probably planned their most recent production run be their last. Setting up the assembly line again to produce more FB2 machines most likely wouldn't make sense, so it was better to simply produce enough to meet all expected future demand.

Atari Flashback 2.0 was produced from July to November 2005, 860,000 units were built. No further FB2's have been made since. Now that just might be an FB2+ coming out shortly... maybe, possibly, can't say for sure. Might have several different games in it, might even have a new hidden game in it, maybe... I really can't say for sure or confirm for sure. You understand, NDA's and such...

Curt

So before Christmas Amazon was carrying the Atari Flashback 2.0 for around $40. Now Amazon is out of stock, and the Amazon sellers that still have flashbacks for sale are asking $140 and up.

• Like 4

Thanks, Curt. That is a tantalizing non-response. :)

I guess I'll not bother with eBay and wait a few months to see what happens . . .

Atari Flashback 2.0 was produced from July to November 2005, 860,000 units were built. No further FB2's have been made since. Now that just might be an FB2+ coming out shortly... maybe, possibly, can't say for sure. Might have several different games in it, might even have a new hidden game in it, maybe... I really can't say for sure or confirm for sure. You understand, NDA's and such...

Curt

Curt

Only a woman could tease better than Curt...

Damn those NDA's!!!