IGNORED

Harmony - questions & observations

eegad

Has the Rom Hunter collection been tested? If so, and they all work, we could forget about other ROM collections and just use those. (Too bad the background color makes the text too hard to read on that Atarimania page.)

I test each new release from RomHunter in Stella, checking for compatibility and integrating the ROM info into the internal database. If someone wanted to perform similar checks for Harmony, it could benefit both projects (by potentially pointing out errors from both sides).

Has the Rom Hunter collection been tested? If so, and they all work, we could forget about other ROM collections and just use those. (Too bad the background color makes the text too hard to read on that Atarimania page.)

I test each new release from RomHunter in Stella, checking for compatibility and integrating the ROM info into the internal database. If someone wanted to perform similar checks for Harmony, it could benefit both projects (by potentially pointing out errors from both sides).

I just went through them searching by company (All the major ones) and I first assumed that the ones with the tilde "~" were the original ones, but some companies (Froggo) do not have a tilda listed.

Can you explain "test" actual gameplay, or just firing them up?

Just an idea.. either full cycle or solid colors - that'd be really a perfect solution imho.

Uhm, no. :)

Color cycling/shading is a faithful retro effect and I want this to be a typical retro device. If that makes the menu harder readable that is faithfully retro too.

But we made the colors brighter for the next BIOS. :)

That's not what I meant - I meant that the 'pause mode' could use SOLID COLORS, so the user could always choose between readable and nice and cycleraster and pretty. I don't have very strong feelings about this issue anyway, it's just fine as it is for me - but I was only thinking if it would be technically possible or feasible to make the pause mode solid-color (as you do HAVE a pause mode, that's already a non-retro ability, and it's aim is what - to make the text easier to read or less disturbing or whatnot - in any case, destroying the retro effect, so you might as well go all the way instead of making this kind of a half-assed compromise which leaves everyone unsatisfied - so you already have such mode anyway, what's the harm in making it also as readable as possible?)

I don't know about the colors being brighter or not, but I suggest perhaps a bit less contrast could ease it a bit. But personally, I would love if there were more and more bright and interesting colors in the cycle effect - now it looks a bit greyish and dull to me (although I have to admit I am a bit color blind, so that means I can't see 'subtle' colors very well, but bright and powerful colors are great to my eye), compared to for example the California Games raster effects between events etc..

Great device, that Harmony Cart, anyways - I hope some day I can get that darn Congo Bongo workin' .. hehe.

- Monk

Text too hard to read in Atarimania page?

Perhaps you should think about getting a better monitor. For me the text is just fine, no problems whatsoever in reading it. You can also try CTRL and PLUS together, to enlarge the font, if you are near-sighted or something.

- Monk

Edited by Monk

That's not what I meant - I meant that the 'pause mode' could use SOLID COLORS, so the user could always choose between readable and nice and cycleraster and pretty.

I got you the first time already. :)

I don't know about the colors being brighter or not, but I suggest perhaps a bit less contrast could ease it a bit. But personally, I would love if there were more and more bright and interesting colors in the cycle effect - now it looks a bit greyish and dull to me (although I have to admit I am a bit color blind, so that means I can't see 'subtle' colors very well, but bright and powerful colors are great to my eye), compared to for example the California Games raster effects between events etc..

Well, in the next BIOS the menu will become even more "greyish" since we have to use brighter colors to make the menu more readable. And since Atari 2600 palette has less saturation for brighter colors, every color will become less saturated.

Text too hard to read in Atarimania page?

Perhaps you should think about getting a better monitor. For me the text is just fine, no problems whatsoever in reading it. You can also try CTRL and PLUS together, to enlarge the font, if you are near-sighted or something.

It's not the text, it's the crappy background color:

post-13-126503249256_thumb.png

Maybe if it was brightened up, I could read it better:

post-13-126503253778_thumb.png

I have a Samsung 19 inch Widescreen LCD Analog/Digital SyncMaster 906BW. It was the best monitor in the store.

If you can read the text on that background color without feeling like you want to murder the webmaster, you probably have your brightness cranked up way too much. Let's try an experiment. Visit the following page, scroll down to the main text and read a little bit of it:

www.randomterrain.com/web-design-readability-and-backgrounds.html

Did the white background color melt your face off? If so, it's proof that you probably need to turn down your brightness a bit. If you're afraid to adjust your brightness, you can also scroll down to the bottom of the page and select a different background color. It's nice to have choices.

Edited by Random Terrain

I have been following this thread, and I feel that the color cycling menu detracts in a way the look of the menu. When you pause it , it is worse because some lines stay less readable, and others look great.

Now for 2 disclaimers.

1) I'm expressing my opinion, and it is only a slight detraction, not enough to hinder, or diminish the harmony cart's menu.

2) From my other post about Phaser Patrol's grey shield effect not showing up, maybe my TV needs brightened or contrast reduced, and that might make the menu look better.

As for another change I would request. Can the file extension not be displayed? I think that detracts more from the menu than the colors.

As for another change I would request. Can the file extension not be displayed? I think that detracts more from the menu than the colors.

But the extension can be used if automatic bankswitch detection fails. I would like to see the extension then.

Maybe it should be hidden except if it a valid bankswitch extension?

But the extension can be used if automatic bankswitch detection fails. I would like to see the extension then.

Maybe it should be hidden except if it a valid bankswitch extension?

How about this, hidden on main screen, shown when button held for full description?

I think that would be ideal for me, but I have NO IDEA on how it works, or how hard changes are to be implemented, assuming they are possible.

How about this, hidden on main screen, shown when button held for full description?

I think that would be ideal for me, but I have NO IDEA on how it works, or how hard changes are to be implemented, assuming they are possible.

Neither can I. cd-w provides the menu code with filtered data.

Your suggestion seems easier to implement for him.

Neither can I. cd-w provides the menu code with filtered data.

Your suggestion seems easier to implement for him.

I will see if this can be done easily, although the driver code is basically out of memory now.

Chris

EDIT: It turns out to be quite complex to do with long filenames - the problem is that the filename can have multiple dots in it - I would have to find the last dot and then cut the filename there. The Harmony driver actually only uses the DOS (8.3) extension to determine the file type. I think utilities like DriveSort can remove the extension from the long filename but keep it for the short filename?

If the extension bothers you, you can always insert spaces into the filename to hide it :)

I haven't tested, but is an extension necessary at all. And if yes, which are accepted besides .bin?

Any file extension can be used - if the extension is one of the types listed in the manual then the bankswitching type will be forced, otherwise the extension is completely ignored.

Chris

Any file extension can be used - if the extension is one of the types listed in the manual then the bankswitching type will be forced, otherwise the extension is completely ignored.

So he could simply remove the extensions he doesn't like, no?

Yes, I just tested it to make sure, and it works fine with no file extension.

Chris

So he could simply remove the extensions he doesn't like, no?

Yes, I just tested it to make sure, and it works fine with no file extension.

Problem solved! :D

I was going to ask that,that sounds like a perfect solution to me! And if a certain rom requires an extension for a specific bankswitching, then add it, and it will be displayed.

I will use flash renamer to remove all the .bin extensions.

Now if I can just get drivesort to work on my Vista PC... Maybe I'll try a card reader in my XP machine.

Hmm, this is a bit off-topic, but I am thinking that perhaps I could purchase another Harmony Cart for my mom's Atari - but as far as I understand it, Paypal isn't feasible for payment anymore. So what is the current method?

The Harmony Cart web-page http://harmony.atariage.com/order_international.html

wasn't really helpful and informative about that particular issue.

So if anyone of you know how it's done, I'd appreciate the info (which would lead to the decision of purchasing another one or not).

Thanks.

- Monk

My Congo Bongo also produced a black screen like Moon Patrol, but changing the file extension to .F8 fixed that one.

Really? I tried this to all Congo Bongo versions I have, but none of them still work. A short greyish distorted line flashes and waves and then black screen.

Well, it's not such a big loss anyway, I mean, there are better versions of Congo Bongo. You can't have everything, and perfection can never be attained on this physical plane anyways..

Great cart, that Harmony Cart, I must say.. have had soooo much fun with it lately!

- Monk

Hmm, this is a bit off-topic, but I am thinking that perhaps I could purchase another Harmony Cart for my mom's Atari - but as far as I understand it, Paypal isn't feasible for payment anymore. So what is the current method?

The Harmony Cart web-page http://harmony.atariage.com/order_international.html

wasn't really helpful and informative about that particular issue.

So if anyone of you know how it's done, I'd appreciate the info (which would lead to the decision of purchasing another one or not).

Thanks.

- Monk

It is now using Google Checkout. Just go to the order form, enter your card details and you are basically done.

Chris

Hiya,

Figured I'd throw my two cents in here. I agree with some of the others that say that the retro effect on the menu is nice enough, but a bit hard to read. I'm glad to hear about the pause mode/B&W switch option, though the dark colors make the menu hard to read even when paused. I do think that solid or brighter colors would be a definite improvement. And changing the default to non-cycle isn't a terrible idea, though maybe using brighter colors will be enough to solve the issue without that.

Overall, I'm really impressed with this thing.

Oh, and I will agree with others that the harmony cart will likely slow enthusiast players (as opposed to serious collectors) from doing much cart collecting. I have about 100 carts. I'm unlikely to pick many more up now unless I know they're rare.

Oh, and I will agree with others that the harmony cart will likely slow enthusiast players (as opposed to serious collectors) from doing much cart collecting. I have about 100 carts. I'm unlikely to pick many more up now unless I know they're rare.

"rare" meaning roms not available?

As long as most people are fair to homebrewers somehow, I cannot see a big problem here.

I love the psychedelic menu color-cycling!! Thank You for putting it there in CD-W. :D I don't know why anybody born in the 1960's or 1970's doesn't like all the colors in the menu. ;) Then again I have perfect 20/15 vision up close and reading the menu isn't a problem. :P

I agree with some of the others that say that the retro effect on the menu is nice

Hey, thanks for that tip. Yep, I like it non-pulsing like that much better!

Since so many seem to prefer the color cycling disabled, maybe I should reverse the B/W switch function and disable color cycling it by default (Color). :ponder:

:?:

BTW: Never be afraid to try the console switches. ;)

My vote for your thought on the bolded: Sure, if you think the color-cycling being disabled by default to satisfy the people who don't like it is a good thing for the next bios, that's fine as long as I can still select color-cycling in the menu for myself to use.

By the way, is there a way to take the color cycling off -altogether?

Just an idea.. either full cycle or solid colors - that'd be really a perfect solution imho.

- Monk

Uhm, no. :)

Color cycling/shading is a faithful retro effect and I want this to be a typical retro device. If that makes the menu harder readable that is faithfully retro too.

But we made the colors brighter for the next BIOS. :)

Agreed, Thomas! :)

- Monk

This is probably the best solution, I have to agree only with a small change to that: DO BOTH! that will please all. Give people solid white or black text :P for all the people that hate color-cycling, by default, so they stop complaining. And then with a flick of the B&W/Color switch: full or all the main colors(like the early bios had) cycling in awesome retro-psychedalia neon-acid visions! (and not just the Harmony logo colors cycling but all colors) for the people like you Thomas and myself and others? that do actually like all the pretty colors. :D

Edited by ovalbugmann