IGNORED

Couple questions about the original Xbox and Live

Atarifever

Okay, the local Wal-Mart just brought their old, battered stock of original Xbox stuff out from God knows where and, oddly, it's incredibly expensive. There are games still going for like $30 each, and even junk licenced stuff is $18.99. Anyway, a few of the games/ sets come with one year of live and an original Xbox game. As I can't see anyone at all paying current price for those games, I expect they'll drop a lot in price soon. If they do, I'm wondering if the Live subscriptions for original Live are likely still good with the 360. I mean, a copy of Tiger Woods 06 or whatever with 12 months of Live for $20 would be a good deal, even if the game doesn't work. Anyone know if this would work as a current Live subscription?

Also, this got me thinking, and I'm online now and have some original Xbox games still. Does current Xbox Live support multiplayer in those games through the emulation on the 360?

Edited by Atarifever

Okay, the local Wal-Mart just brought their old, battered stock of original Xbox stuff out from God knows where and, oddly, it's incredibly expensive. There are games still going for like $30 each, and even junk licenced stuff is $18.99. Anyway, a few of the games/ sets come with one year of live and an original Xbox game. As I can't see anyone at all paying current price for those games, I expect they'll drop a lot in price soon. If they do, I'm wondering if the Live subscriptions for original Live are likely still good with the 360. I mean, a copy of Tiger Woods 06 or whatever with 12 months of Live for $20 would be a good deal, even if the game doesn't work. Anyone know if this would work as a current Live subscription?

Also, this got me thinking, and I'm online now and have some original Xbox games still. Does current Xbox Live support multiplayer in those games through the emulation on the 360?

Not sure about the second question, but a Live subscription is not platform specific. It will work for your Xbox or Xbox 360.

I think simply that if you have it linked to one first, you then have to transfer it to your new 360 (though it doesn't sound as if you'd be in that situation). That's what I had to do when I got my launch system. I still had 4 months left on my subscription, so I simply transferred it through some screens that walked me through it and away I went! There should be some instructions right on Xbox.com on exactly how to do this.

I found an orignal XBOX Live kit at Goodwill for $5 (brand new). I entered the subscritpion code on my XBOX 360 acct and it worked just fine. I don't think you will have any problems, UNLESS, the subscription is only good for a new acct and can't be applied to an existing acct.

-Lee

-Lee

I player Doom 3 and halo 2 over xbox live on my 360 and they worked just fine... that was a couple of years ago and now i am not sure if anyone would be on them...

1) The original Xbox still works on Live.

2) An original Xbox Live account can be used on a 360.

3) The same Xbox Live account can be used on both the original Xbox and the 360 without recovery when switching between the machines.

3) Original Xbox games work on Live on the original Xbox.

4) Original Xbox games that are backwards compatible work on Live on the 360.

I think the only question that I can't answer is whether original Xbox games that come with prepaid Live subscriptions are still being accepted. I am tempted to say that you can still redeem those codes with an original Xbox though I don't know for sure. I don't think they can be redeemed on the 360. This is speculation though. Someone needs to punch one in an confirm it.

The statements I numbered above I know without a doubt because I still use my original Xbox on Live with the same account I use on my 360 all the time. The account was active long before the 360 came out. In order to register a Live account on the Xbox you need to insert a credit card (even if it won't be used for payment.) This is a verification method. If a 360 Live account is to be recovered on an original Xbox it will fail until a credit card is associated with the account.

Not sure about the second question, but a Live subscription is not platform specific. It will work for your Xbox or Xbox 360.

Not completely true. You'll need a Xbox 1 starter kit to start a XBL subscription on an original Xbox. While these cards work fine in a Xbox 360, you can't take a Xbox 360 card to an original Xbox for some reason.

3) The same Xbox Live account can be used on both the original Xbox and the 360 without recovery when switching between the machines.

Just to clarify, you can't take an account created on a Xbox 360 backwards to the original Xbox. If you migrated your account created on the original Xbox to the 360, you can use that subscription on both the Xbox and 360.

I think the only question that I can't answer is whether original Xbox games that come with prepaid Live subscriptions are still being accepted. I am tempted to say that you can still redeem those codes with an original Xbox though I don't know for sure. I don't think they can be redeemed on the 360.

They can be redeemed on a Xbox 360. Many people have taken advantage of this in the earlier days of the Xbox 360 by buying things like discounted Xbox 1 starter kits (With PRG2, Crimson Skies, etc.) to get a cheap 1 year of Live for their 360.

Edited by Atariboy

Just to clarify, you can't take an account created on a Xbox 360 backwards to the original Xbox. If you migrated your account created on the original Xbox to the 360, you can use that subscription on both the Xbox and 360.

That is commonly spread misinformation. An account can be migrated either way. An account created on the Xbox can be migrated to the 360 and vice versa. Here is the Microsoft Support article on the subject: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906923

The confusion stems from the fact that signing up on the original Xbox requires some amount of information (including a requirement for credit card verification) that is not required on the 360. If this information is not set on the 360-born account there will be an error during recovery on the original Xbox. You just need to go into your account settings and set these required pieces of information as stated in the article. After that it will recover correctly on the original Xbox.

It's not a common misconception, it's how it was during the early portion of the Xbox 360's lifespan. You could migrate an existing account to the 360, but were unable to bring an account created on a 360 backwards to the original Xbox.

I'm glad to see it's since changed.

Edited by Atariboy

It's not a common misconception, it's how it was during the early portion of the Xbox 360's lifespan. You could migrate an existing account to the 360, but were unable to bring an account created on a 360 backwards to the original Xbox.

I'm glad to see it's since changed.

I had an Xbox 360 on day #1 and I also remember the limitation back then. But this has been possible for a long time so at this time it is misinformation.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

You should've just said that it wasn't accurate any longer and corrected me by explaining that MS has now modified things to open up this ability.

Instead, I felt like you were basically acting like I just pulled it out of a hat or was spreading some myth, rather than just outdated information (The system worked this way when I became a 360 owner a year after launch, I'm surprised they ever bothered to change it later since the Xbox was all but abandoned already by that point).

You should've just said that it wasn't accurate any longer and corrected me by explaining that MS has now modified things to open up this ability.

Instead, I felt like you were basically acting like I just pulled it out of a hat or was spreading some myth, rather than just outdated information (The system worked this way when I became a 360 owner a year after launch, I'm surprised they ever bothered to change it later since the Xbox was all but abandoned already by that point).

I imagine they changed it because enough people were calling into their call center to warrant it. Anyway, the information I provided originally is accurate. As long as a credit card is associate with the account it can be recovered. I don't think the OP gives a crap though. He wants to punch the code into the 360.

Instead, I felt like you were basically acting like I just pulled it out of a hat or was spreading some myth, rather than just outdated information

Honestly, why would you care enough to call this out? Do you have some game knowledge rep you need to defend?

You know I'm just messing with you... But truthfully, I didn't know what Hyper_Eye stated was a fact myself

(I have never once taken my original modded limited edition Halo green Xbox online!!) and in fact thought the opposite was true like you did!!

Still...

Thanks Hyper_Eye for clarifying what obviously still isn't common knowledge.