IGNORED

Help with arcade stick

chriswhit

I'm getting ready to build an arcade stick for my 5200. I bought this 8 way stick, key pad and a bunch of arcade buttons.

http://www.allelectr...KEYPAD/-/1.html

http://www.allelectr...oysticks/1.html

I noticed there are only two wires for movement and each of the four switches on the stick has 3 spots for wires. Not sure if I need to use all of the wire connections or not. I have this schematic but I am assuming that I will need to merge it with the schematic for the master play interface. any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I've had my 5200 for a while now but never owned a working controller or ever played a 5200 game. I have a few to try out though. I am good with a soldering iron and have done many mods this year but Im still new to this kind of thing. The 7800 controller was easy to figure out even though I had no schematics but this appears to be a different animal. Thank you everyone for all your help.

http://www.atarihq.c...es/5200stik.jpg

http://www.atarihq.c...0faq/06_03.html

I'm getting ready to build an arcade stick for my 5200. I bought this 8 way stick, key pad and a bunch of arcade buttons.

http://www.allelectr...KEYPAD/-/1.html

http://www.allelectr...oysticks/1.html

I noticed there are only two wires for movement and each of the four switches on the stick has 3 spots for wires. Not sure if I need to use all of the wire connections or not. I have this schematic but I am assuming that I will need to merge it with the schematic for the master play interface. any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I've had my 5200 for a while now but never owned a working controller or ever played a 5200 game. I have a few to try out though. I am good with a soldering iron and have done many mods this year but Im still new to this kind of thing. The 7800 controller was easy to figure out even though I had no schematics but this appears to be a different animal. Thank you everyone for all your help.

http://www.atarihq.c...es/5200stik.jpg

http://www.atarihq.c...0faq/06_03.html

i got to ask what are you component assets?

first off i love using the microswitch sticks it must makes it easier i made mine using 500k pots but you could canabalize some 2600 paddles pots (i like how the schematic wants 640k that will make it work great as well and you could either mount them to be adjustable trimmers to play superbreakout and kaboom with the x paddle

it does get kind of complicated having all those connections so if i were you i would do them in stages and test each step with a ohm meter first do the x cord connections then the y then the fire buttons then the keypad

that schematic looks extremely complicated with all those connections

if you search out my posts you should find my crazy ms paint diagram

also i have nothing but trouble trying to solder to the microswitch posts i would strongly suggest you buy the little blade connectors and solder to them

here is one of mine its quite a mess

DCP_7551.jpg

potjoyb.jpg

all the little resistors i added were just to make up for my crummy pots you dont need them unless you experience problems playing popeye

here is my schematic using jsut resistors

5200altoid-1.gif

for the keypad i just use a 2600 touchpad

DCP_7679.jpg

Edited by bohoki
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. As far as component assets I don't have much. No 2600 touch pad. I also have 2 broken 5200 controllers. The only controllers I have that work properly Is my atari 7800 nes pad that I modded and two home built arcade sticks for the 7800. I have a bunch of 2600-7800 controller extension wires. I have lots of new electronic components. resistors many types of intergraded circites and transistors. I have all the tools I need.

Just to make sure I understand these pots the high resistance resistors go between no and nc and when no is connected It brings the resistance from high to low on that pot due to the lower resistance of the resistor hooked to pin 9. I take it I don't need to use the common?

I'm also wondering if they make controller extension wires? I've been looking but haven't seen any. Thanks again

Thanks for the info. As far as component assets I don't have much. No 2600 touch pad. I also have 2 broken 5200 controllers. The only controllers I have that work properly Is my atari 7800 nes pad that I modded and two home built arcade sticks for the 7800. I have a bunch of 2600-7800 controller extension wires. I have lots of new electronic components. resistors many types of intergraded circites and transistors. I have all the tools I need.

Just to make sure I understand these pots the high resistance resistors go between no and nc and when no is connected It brings the resistance from high to low on that pot due to the lower resistance of the resistor hooked to pin 9. I take it I don't need to use the common?

I'm also wondering if they make controller extension wires? I've been looking but haven't seen any. Thanks again

uh i'll try to simplify it

if you are using a potentiometer it wires like this

wire from pin 9 in you box goes to one side of the pot from that leg you go to the NO conection on the left switch then you connect that common to the right common with a wire also connect that to the middle pot lug with another chunk of wire then you connect the final lug of your pot to the NC connection of the direction right switch then from that to pin 10 that solves for H

for V just replace the words left for up and the words right for down and 10 for 11 in that instruction set to solve for V

the buttons are self explanitory

for resistor use i think the diagram is fairly clear as well if you want i'll try to make a picture

potbutt.jpg

Edited by bohoki

uh i'll try to simplify it

if you are using a potentiometer it wires like this

wire from pin 9 in you box goes to one side of the pot from that leg you go to the NO conection on the left switch then you connect that common to the right common with a wire also connect that to the middle pot lug with another chunk of wire then you connect the final lug of your pot to the NC connection of the direction right switch then from that to pin 10 that solves for H

for V just replace the words left for up and the words right for down and 10 for 11 in that instruction set to solve for V

the buttons are self explanitory

for resistor use i think the diagram is fairly clear as well if you want i'll try to make a picture

potbutt.jpg

if you can find an old broken vcr or microwave they often have push button switches a person can canabalize

• Like 1

I understand now thanks. I have 7 junk microwaves and 9 dead vcr's and just picked up a box full of 2600 paddles for free from a friend. He said all of them jitter and was going to through them out. I told him they probably just need cleaning but he didn't want to mess with them. I'm untangling them now to see whats there.

edit: Where do I find a project box like that? The largest one I found was at radio shack and is 6"x8"x3"deep which made me have to put the start pause and reset buttons in the side to fit them. Hopefully I wont hit them wile playing a game lol.

I understand now thanks. I have 7 junk microwaves and 9 dead vcr's and just picked up a box full of 2600 paddles for free from a friend. He said all of them jitter and was going to through them out. I told him they probably just need cleaning but he didn't want to mess with them. I'm untangling them now to see whats there.

edit: Where do I find a project box like that? The largest one I found was at radio shack and is 6"x8"x3"deep which made me have to put the start pause and reset buttons in the side to fit them. Hopefully I wont hit them wile playing a game lol.

well you should have listed them among your assets now if only we had a holocaust cloak

as to a project box they dont seem to make one big enough for me one of the old plastic lunchboxes are about right

someone made a joystick out of a cafeteria tray or some kind of plastic cutting board but for an enclosure you are on your own with that one maybe try a rubbermaid container or something

jittery pots are still good enough for this use they may be annoying if you try to play kaboom

Edited by bohoki

well you should have listed them among your assets now if only we had a holocaust cloak

as to a project box they dont seem to make one big enough for me one of the old plastic lunchboxes are about right

someone made a joystick out of a cafeteria tray or some kind of plastic cutting board but for an enclosure you are on your own with that one maybe try a rubbermaid container or something

jittery pots are still good enough for this use they may be annoying if you try to play kaboom

I got most of it done. I used potentiometers from 2600 paddles. I still have to wire the key pad. I did hook it to my 5200 and fired up super pac-man. Everything works good that's finished so far. The potentiometers seem to work as trim adjustments and after a small amount of adjusting it was working great. Thanks for the help bohoki. I will probably tackle the key pad tomorrow then post some more pics. I had to put the start, pause, and reset buttons in the side to fit everything in this tiny box. I had to use shorter buttons for those due to clearance and will be replacing the fire buttons with the arcade micro switch style. I'm not real keen on the pink reset button but that was the colors that are available in this style buttons.

post-24571-126448690872_thumb.jpg

post-24571-126448693277_thumb.jpg

post-24571-126448696891_thumb.jpg

post-24571-12645109094_thumb.jpg

post-24571-126451096253_thumb.jpg

post-24571-1264511029_thumb.jpg

I couldn't sleep so I wired the key pad. I still have to cash out those fire buttons and get better nobs for my potentiometers. Those are from a junk telstar arcade lol. The larger atari ones are to easy to knock out of adjustment. Wonder where to get a set of knobs. I'm not sure I like the layout. This was more or a see if I can do it project. I think I should have turned it 90 degrees but it works good. What do you guys think about the layout. Thanks again bohoki without your help I'd be lost with the stick wiring.

I need a controller extension badly. Were they ever made or do I have to make one? I looked around the net with no luck.

You can use 15-wire PC joystick extension cables, preferably the molded ones w/o the ears, for 5200 controllers. Just make sure they actually have all 15 wires wired. I'm not sure if any were made specifically for the 5200 but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

I need a controller extension badly. Were they ever made or do I have to make one? I looked around the net with no luck.

You can use 15-wire PC joystick extension cables, preferably the molded ones w/o the ears, for 5200 controllers. Just make sure they actually have all 15 wires wired. I'm not sure if any were made specifically for the 5200 but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into that. You'd think Atari would have put longer wires on there sticks. I have a folding dinner tray I put my console on when I play so I can sit in a chair instead of laying on my stomach on the floor. I'm getting to old for that. I guess my motorcycle crash a few years back doesn't help me much. A drunk driver hit me head on and sent me about 50 yards through the air. Lucky to be able to complain most people die with less serious accidents on a bike. I probably should have sued the guy but I'm not that kind of guy.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into that. You'd think Atari would have put longer wires on there sticks. I have a folding dinner tray I put my console on when I play so I can sit in a chair instead of laying on my stomach on the floor. I'm getting to old for that. I guess my motorcycle crash a few years back doesn't help me much. A drunk driver hit me head on and sent me about 50 yards through the air. Lucky to be able to complain most people die with less serious accidents on a bike. I probably should have sued the guy but I'm not that kind of guy.

thats pretty keen

glad i could help your pattern is alot like the starcontrol

5200-Starcon-Controller-2.jpg

cable lenght is a problem i guess atari saved some money i mean you know 14 conductor wire isnt cheap

i think the intent was that you would have your "deck" on the coffee table and have the one wire go to the tv but then they ditched the auto switch box and went to 2 cords

its kind of hard finding 15 pin male and female plugs and even when you do you have to modify them to make them fit in the 5200 and fit around the locking lugs of the joystick plug

i suggest wiring the cable you have to a little box and from that box come out with a cable to your controller maybe have the (factory wire you are using go to a project box and then have a 25 pin jack in that box and then rig up a cable with the matching 25 pin plug (wired you your specs i suggest just using the same numbers1-1,2-2...15-15) go to the controller yea it wont be pretty it will be your cord wart

Edited by bohoki

thats pretty keen

glad i could help your pattern is alot like the starcontrol

5200-Starcon-Controller-2.jpg

cable lenght is a problem i guess atari saved some money i mean you know 14 conductor wire isnt cheap

i think the intent was that you would have your "deck" on the coffee table and have the one wire go to the tv but then they ditched the auto switch box and went to 2 cords

its kind of hard finding 15 pin male and female plugs and even when you do you have to modify them to make them fit in the 5200 and fit around the locking lugs of the joystick plug

i suggest wiring the cable you have to a little box and from that box come out with a cable to your controller maybe have the (factory wire you are using go to a project box and then have a 25 pin jack in that box and then rig up a cable with the matching 25 pin plug (wired you your specs i suggest just using the same numbers1-1,2-2...15-15) go to the controller yea it wont be pretty it will be your cord wart

you will need these parts

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103239

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103240

2 of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103241

and some wire (i just use 2 lengths of 8 conductor network wire since i have a bunch wiring the keypad through one and the joy/buttons with the other)

ps my box was a 12 power supply that i gutted and used

DCP_7555.jpg

pss you can get the sticker from this guy

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3101902063531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310190206353&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

or search for "atari sticker"

Edited by Albert

Thanks for the Idea I will have to do that. I have a little project box and I've seen the other parts in my local radio shack. I also need to make 3 more controllers so I can play 4 player games with my friends. I only have one more 7 pin key pad though. I have 10 14 pin ones but after killing one to see the difference inside I'm assuming those can not be used.

Thanks for the Idea I will have to do that. I have a little project box and I've seen the other parts in my local radio shack. I also need to make 3 more controllers so I can play 4 player games with my friends. I only have one more 7 pin key pad though. I have 10 14 pin ones but after killing one to see the difference inside I'm assuming those can not be used.

you can play most games with out a keypad all you need are 2 fire buttons and a start button

search for altoid controller its basically the least you can use to get by

bell it does have up down and you could get by with just left and right and one button and a start if all you want to play is space invaders and galaxian

ps there is no law that says your start pause reset buttons have to be so huge

DCP_7913.jpg

i used the same buttons as on my controller mark 1

pss the huge notch was from an edge connector i reused this box from another proj

Edited by bohoki

• 3 weeks later...

Best Electronics has 12' extension cables for the 5200 listed on there website for $12.95

new circuit time

i was playing with my altoid controller and realining how sucky it is to have the right and down buttons be nc type while the up and left are normally open type it just didnt feel right so i had to come up with some kind of circuit that used all the same type button

i mean it works fine when you have a microswitch joystick and you use the nc tabs cause the buttons are very nice

so i came up with this 5200buttonjoy.jpg

the theory of operation is thus

imagine pot common as a hose bib and from that it goes to a splitter one going to the adjustable nozzle that is the uppy downy control the other to the lefty righty control

what i was doing before was making a button press make the flow restricted and in normal unpressed mode free flow for right and down

cause the h and v just sit there like a guy with his head on fire kinda like getting sprayed in the face with a hose a hard blast pushes them away and that would be left and up a medium blast makes them walk closer to it and that would be the center and a trickle makes them walk right up to the nozzle and that would be right and down

so to make the head on fire 5200 walk right and down toward my firehose i need to divert the flow away so i have some of the hose blast toward ground causing the system to move right and down

so this allows a person to use the leaf switch type arcade joystick