IGNORED

Does anyone have an Amiga CD32?

Austin

I've always wondered how decent of a system the CD32 was. I love 16-bit styled games, and I understand this system has a ton of them. It looks like it could have some good ports of personal favorites of mine (Battletoads and one of the Top Gear games, to name a couple), and it looks like some of its exclusives are pretty cool as well.

Does anyone here have one? How do you like it?

I personally wish I picked one up years ago, back when there were loads of games on eBay for about eight bucks a pop (Like Battletoads, Top Gear, Total Carnage, etc.).. Now there's hardly anything, and everyone seems to be overcharging on the minimal amount of items actually available. They have had new systems up there at reasonable prices (less than $100), but the fact that games are so expensive makes me steer clear of it.. :(

**Edit: Looking through several lists, it's possible Top Gear 1 or 2 was never made for the system.. But I could have sworn I saw one on ebay years ago. :ponder:

Edited by Austin

Got one, haven't used it in over a year.

I was lucky - got it from eBay without PSU or controller so it only cost 30 bucks or so.

The games... well, the system was criticised because the games were barely better than the mainstream Amigas.

Despite essentially being an A1200 without keyboard/floppy but with CD, most of the enhancements to games were just poxy video sequences and your usual AGA touchups that many games got.

Remembering that you had competitors like Jaguar and Saturn at the time which were essentially a generation ahead, with proper 3D, better graphics and faster CPUs.

About all that the unexpanded CD32 gave you was the chunky to planar conversion by hardware, which essentially is a long way of displaying graphics in the native format when the better idea would have been to show chunky in it's default form.

There's expansions availabe - I've prettymuch given up on hope of getting any, as you pay hundreds.

The Amiga market's kinda funny - people seem willing to pay as much for a HDD-equipped A1200 as you'd spend building a brand new mid-range PC.

Edited by Rybags

Most of the games that are worth playing sit around the $10-15 ea range and many times even less. I think I picked up the majority of my collection (over 120 titles) for roughly that price though a few of them went for a bit more.

Is it worth it? It's a matter of opinion. If you have a nice 1200 setup with WHDLOAD, probably not. If you want to not worry about compatibility (plus you can burn the games for it), it's nice to have.

I have some playthroughs up on You Tube here: http://www.youtube.com/icbrkr

I wouldn't be interested in getting an Amiga computer. Never had one, probably never will.. Just not enough room and I don't want to be dicking around with another PC setup, just not enough time (or interest). I love the early '90s era consoles though, and this one peaked my interest because it seemed like a good source of those Amiga-styled games (Which I loved on the other platforms of the time).

I just skimmed through about 90% of icbrkr's CD32 vids, and I'm almost cursing myself now for having interest in the system, haha.. I was definitely expecting much better than what I saw. I was under the assumption anyway that since it is a 32-bit platform, it would at least have enough power to do these 16-bit style games justice. I wasn't expecting full 3D graphics or anything of the sort, but if anything, I was expecting it to at least be as good as the Sega CD, which is a system I really like. It looks like I was very wrong, though. Most of the games seemed pretty bad, either lacking music or sound completely, or running at poor framerates. Battletoads was just awful.. So much for that one. Its other ports seemed half-assed as well, like the Chuck Rock games (No music or sound? ugh..). Of the games I saw, Fire & Ice looked good (I remember the PC version), as did the Lotus Trilogy. Banshee also looks decent (I'm a big fan of shmups), but the lack of music seems to kill any real interest in it.

Question: Can the CD32 not do music and sound at the same time? It seems of the videos I watched, they either have one or the other, and when they do have both, one seems severely compromised over the other.

Edited by Austin

Question: Can the CD32 not do music and sound at the same time? It seems of the videos I watched, they either have one or the other, and when they do have both, one seems severely compromised over the other.

It can do Music and Sound at the same time.

FYI, I think CD32 is a worthwhile system. I'd avoid an NTSC one if you can though. The incompatibilities shrink what is already a small library of games. Plenty of games you can have fun with on an NTSC system though.

I recently discovered that the best version of PC Genjin/PC Kid/Bonk is on Amiga, via a CD32 compilation CD.

Edited by Blur2040

It can do Music and Sound at the same time.

FYI, I think CD32 is a worthwhile system. I'd avoid an NTSC one if you can though. The incompatibilities shrink what is already a small library of games. Plenty of games you can have fun with on an NTSC system though.

I recently discovered that the best version of PC Genjin/PC Kid/Bonk is on Amiga, via a CD32 compilation CD.

What incompatibilities are there?

I have one and like it, but don't play it that often. The biggest problem with it is the games are repackaged versions of what was already available for Amiga and aren't updated to take advantage of the CD32's enhanced abilities. They do take advantage of the AGA chipset, which is better than the OCS found in my Amiga 2000HD.

I have an NTSC one and it works just fine. To play the PAL games I just plug an Amiga mouse into port 2 and hold down both buttons to get the boot menu and select PAL. Of course this doesn't help if your display can't sync to PAL scanning rates like my C= 1084S monitor can.

post-3056-126443986793_thumb.jpg post-3056-126443987286_thumb.jpg

I also occasionally break out my Information Society CD to play on it as the Amiga CD32 plays back CD+G. Information Society's site has a page with some static pictures from it, I'll see about putting up a YouTube video this evening. I also have a Fleetwood Mac album that supports CD+G. While CD+G didn't become a popular format, it still lives on today in karaoke discs.

I almost got own from a ex colleague, but he gave it away to some nephews to be used as a cd-player :sad: . If i can get my hands on one i will buy it. Think you would like it to. Haven't seen the youtube movies yet, but since it has too be upload it could be that it is compressed so much that it is giving a false reference point to what it really can.

[The system is ok at best.

If you want a good system that can out perform in a heart-beat. Get a Sega Saturn. And you have a choice of some Great...even good games.

Hell Id rather play my Sega CD/Turbo Grafx or Neo Geo CD over it any day.

All the CD32 is a lowend stand alone Amiga 500 (sorta) with the possiblity of AGA graphics that rarely gets used just like the A1200.

There were not many Arcade games on it at all, And they didnt even pick many games from the awesome Amiga line up to port to it.

Its not worth getting unless you get it cheap with games and the still....ergh. Collector/Amiga freaks only apply....its not a good gamer item.

Out of all 40+ of my game systems I own and still do...sadley the Amiga CD32 is the only one other I ever sold and have no need to EVER want again.

Not at all what it was built up to be.

There was NOTHING cool about it. And worse off no exclusive games!

Dont get me wrong I love my Amiga will not give it up, but the CD32 was not to me, a Amiga.

Even as the big Commodore Amiga guy as I am, I have to agree with Nonner. I bought one in the early to mid 90's for $300 and it came with 2 games: Pinball Fantasies and Sleepwalker. Great games and I loved the fact you could play PF without the keyboard on a large screen and sitting on the couch, but the NTSC software library was tiny to say the least. Got rid of it shortly after and still do not have one in my collection (plenty of Amiga's still though). This might sound really strange, but I was contemplating getting either that or a CD-i about a year ago. Choose the CD-i (with a DV cartridge, lightgun and a ton of games) over the cost of a CD32 if that tells you anything ;)

Edited by save2600

I myself was about to recommend the CD-i.

I bought one recently after seeing a fantastic deal on one having had some fond memories of the system from working in a games store when it was around.

I am so far incredibly pleased with the machine. I have the classic 220 model that looks like a VCR and also have an MPEG video card for it.

I now have around 100 discs for the machine, mostly games but also a fair amount of movies and video music discs too. I also have the light gun and the earlier game pad.

There are alot of really good exclusive titles for it like Steel Machine, Mutant Rampage Bodyslam, The Apprentice and Burn Cycle plus conversions of classic games like Flashback, Tetris, Lemmings and Micro Machines.

I have recently been writing a review guide for the machine over at Jaguar Sector 2 but will post it over here too if people are interested! :cool:

I have recently been writing a review guide for the machine over at Jaguar Sector 2 but will post it over here too if people are interested!

I'm interested! I have a weak spot myself for my cd-i, got 2 model 450 and a model 220 and a library of about 60 games for it, including some light gun games. Btw did you know that the wii is using cd-i technology? The infrared bar for the wii is using technology from the cd-i light gun to de-term where the wiimote is point at the screen.

I have recently been writing a review guide for the machine over at Jaguar Sector 2 but will post it over here too if people are interested! :cool:

Yeah, if you're going to review some of the more rare stuff like the last few games you mentioned - be nice to hear what the differences are in the Classic Gaming forum.

... but the NTSC software library was tiny to say the least.

My guess is that this would be the reason for that:

The CD32 was released in Canada and was planned for release in the United States. However, a deadline was reached for Commodore to pay a patent royalty to Cad Track for their use of their XOR patent.[2] A federal judge ordered an injunction against Commodore preventing them from importing anything into the United States.

It was actually fairly popular in the UK apparently taking 50% of the CD console market there. (From the Wiki)

I agree tho, that a U.S. release would have been problematic, going up against some of the other newer systems that were available in the U.S.

desiv

What incompatibilities are there?

Most games are PAL so...

1. Some games have the bottom several lines cut off.

2. Some games will be all scrambly.

3. Some just don't work.

I wouldn't get a CD32 before well...a lot of systems.. If you don't have almost EVERY major system released in the US, I wouldn't be pining for a CD32...but when it becomes time to expand your video game horizons a bit, it's a good way to go.

Still, you could do a lot worse.

We sold them at a dealer in Atlanta, Georgia and got them through distribution like anything else- they were released and sold for a year or more.

I wasn't implying that they were never available in the US. Just apparently significantly delayed.

Hmm.. Now, Wikipedia could be wrong, it happens :-), here's more:

Commodore declared bankruptcy shortly afterwards, and the CD32 was never officially sold in the United States.[2] However, imported models did come over the border from Canada, and many stores in the United States (primarily mail-order stores) imported units for domestic sale.

So maybe your channel got them from an import???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32

desiv

Edited by desiv

I wasn't implying that they were never available in the US. Just apparently significantly delayed.

desiv

I remember them being delayed big time for the one retailer left back then that was local. Moved and then ended up getting mine from Software Hut. Seemed catalogue was the only way to go with these, before AND after Commodore's demise. There was never a real shortage of them through the mail - at least to my knowledge. They were advertised everywhere. Paxtron was even selling spare mobo's at one time.

Most games are PAL so...

As I pointed out in Post #8, this can easily be worked around.

The problem will be for people using these on their TVs (not RGB). From what I hear from the people in the UK, their TVs seem to handle NTSC scan rates fairly well.

But both LCD TVs I've tried (using my Amiga 1200 with an s-video adapter) give me an "out of range" message when I send PAL sync rates to it.

So, if you're using a monitor, it's probably no big deal, but if you're using a TV, it could be a problem.

desiv

Most games are PAL so...

1. Some games have the bottom several lines cut off.

2. Some games will be all scrambly.

3. Some just don't work.

As I pointed out in Post #8, this can easily be worked around.

Early Startup Menu works great - but yeah, you need a PAL compatible monitor to take advantage of it. Jens has completed his Indivision unit for CD32 for those not in the know. This wonderful little gadget acts as a flicker fixer as well as a scan doubler so you can use ANY mode (yes, it converts PAL to NTSC) on ANY VGA compatible monitor:

http://amigakit.leam...products_id=864

...but whoops! There goes another $170 ;) lol

Edited by save2600

Is it worth it? It's a matter of opinion. If you have a nice 1200 setup with WHDLOAD, probably not. If you want to not worry about compatibility (plus you can burn the games for it), it's nice to have.

I'd probably say the same. Those huge compilation CDs for the unit are a plus.

Yeah, other than those, the 3DO had a better library. Most of the games on the CD32 can be found elsewhere.