IGNORED

360 buying/ only one game I really want quandry

liveinabin

I'm thinking of finally getting a 360. I say thinking, it's rather more finding an excuse.

See, I've already got a PS3 and that gets a lot of attention, but I REALLY want to play Mass Effect (and the forthcoming sequel).

So, you reckon it might be worth a punt? Of course, I'm assuming Mass Effect is great. I love epic western RPGs (and Bioware's work, particularly Knights of the Old Republic) and I'm just about done wibbling about in Fallout 3 (after 200 hours!) so I'm looking for something new. I'm really on the fence here. I'm sure I can find other stuff to play on it (the slightly superior version of Bayonetta springs to mind) but not a lot, and I'm no fan of online gaming or first-person shooters, which seem to be the 360's bread and butter.

Help!

Ahhhh just get one you know you want one. :D

Seriously though its the worst piece of garbage hardware ever made. With that in mind remember that they do a very good job with software! Ta Dah! What Microsoft "excels" at right?

Go and get it, there's tons of cool stuff on it. The only thing that prevents me from totally getting into it like the PS3 (or even the Wii) is the system itself and its focus on PC type games (FPS shooters).

Doesnt matter though, you'll get Mass Effect (which I think is good but not as good as Oblivion\Fallout IMO) and some really nice downloadable games. I'm sure everyone here will tell you what they are.

Just remember to hang on to that warranty. :D

The only thing that prevents me from totally getting into it like the PS3 (or even the Wii) is the system itself and its focus on PC type games (FPS shooters).

At the risk of derailing the topic, I never understood that line of thought. It seems to me that most every FPS is multiplatform these days and on both consoles. And of those that are exclusives, I can only think of the Halo titles on the 360 that aren't on the PS3 (Disregarding releases from the 360's first year when there was no PS3).

While I'm sure I've missed some 360 exclusives besides a few early pre PS3 titles (Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero for example), it seems to me that the PS3 has more exclusive FPS's. Two Resistance titles and the upcoming MAG all immediately come to mind. On the 360, I can just think of Halo 3 and it's expansion pack as exclusive fps's on the 360 since the PS3's launch. So they seem pretty equal at the very least, and I'd be inclined to say that the PS3 gets more first person shooters.

The only thing that prevents me from totally getting into it like the PS3 (or even the Wii) is the system itself and its focus on PC type games (FPS shooters).

At the risk of derailing the topic, I never understood that line of thought. It seems to me that most every FPS is multiplatform these days and on both consoles. And of those that are exclusives, I can only think of the Halo titles on the 360 that aren't on the PS3 (Disregarding releases from the 360's first year when there was no PS3).

While I'm sure I've missed some 360 exclusives besides a few early pre PS3 titles (Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero for example), it seems to me that the PS3 has more exclusive FPS's. Two Resistance titles and the upcoming MAG all immediately come to mind. On the 360, I can just think of Halo 3 and it's expansion pack as exclusive fps's on the 360 since the PS3's launch. So they seem pretty equal at the very least, and I'd be inclined to say that the PS3 gets more first person shooters.

You would be missing at least the Left 4 Dead and the Gears of War franchises. Though I do agree Resistance is a great franchise in it's own right.

I'm thinking of finally getting a 360. I say thinking, it's rather more finding an excuse.

See, I've already got a PS3 and that gets a lot of attention, but I REALLY want to play Mass Effect (and the forthcoming sequel).

So, you reckon it might be worth a punt? Of course, I'm assuming Mass Effect is great. I love epic western RPGs (and Bioware's work, particularly Knights of the Old Republic) and I'm just about done wibbling about in Fallout 3 (after 200 hours!) so I'm looking for something new. I'm really on the fence here. I'm sure I can find other stuff to play on it (the slightly superior version of Bayonetta springs to mind) but not a lot, and I'm no fan of online gaming or first-person shooters, which seem to be the 360's bread and butter.

Help!

I'm not sure. I have Mass Effect and I'm not excessively thrilled by it. I've had it over a year and still not completed it - it gets an airing once in a while.

I think Mass Effect got its good reviews because of its sheer size and initial gameplay, which contains a lot of action but I am wondering if reviewers actually bothered to get far enough into the game. For me, the pace slows down and it does become fairly repetitive. Then again, I used to love RPGs on the A8 and ST but have gone off them since having a PC and Xbox so maybe it's just me.

There is plenty to do in terms of side missions and the main mission but, like Brutal Legend that I'm playing now, I feel that side missions are often added to flesh out what is a fairly ordinary single player game campaign.

Is Mass Effect worth buying an Xbox for? IMO, no. It's good, but not $150+ worth of good.icon_wink.gif

I think Mass Effect is fantastic. It would be hard for me to put it next to Oblivion but I think it has its own points to make. I don't tend to compare games the way many do. I generally consider a game good or bad on its own merits and Mass Effect is a great game from my perspective. It is probably one of the sequels I am most anticipating.

Oh... don't forget about Fable 2 since we are talking about franchises on Xbox that are not FPS.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

You would be missing at least the Left 4 Dead and the Gears of War franchises. Though I do agree Resistance is a great franchise in it's own right.

I did forget Left 4 Dead.

I didn't include Gears of War because they're technically third person shooters, which was why I also didn't include SOCOM on the PS3 (Was initially in my list until I checked some screenshots).

I said I didn't like FPSs :)

Oh, I am sorely tempted to get one, Mass Effect 2 looks astonishing (even with the FPS battle system).

One other thing, what the hell happened to the middle of the range 360 (the pro?). I can barely justify an Elite and the Arcade is (surely?) a pointless machine, being sans hard drive.

When you consider the current price points I don't think there is much need for a Pro. The current prices are really appealing to me. $299.99 for an Elite? Makes me want to go get another 360. I paid $399.99 for my original pro and then the same as the current elite price for the core that replaced it. Sticking the pro in the middle at $249.99 doesn't make much sense to me. Most people are going to make the leap to elite or consider the arcade price point the max they want to spend. I know a couple of people would buy the pro but I think most people would either not get an hdd or decide that there isn't any reason not to go the extra $50 for the elite and 2x the hdd.

It might be worth mentioning that Mass Effect is available for the PC. I've been playing it that way (on a PC that's far from top of the line) and been pretty happy with it.

I relate to the idea of there being just one game on the 360 that makes it desirable! But with Mass Effect on the PC, Pac-man Championship Edition now available (and lots of fun!) on the iPhone/iTouch, and most of the levels from Beautiful Katamari ported to Katamari Forever, there's currently nothing exclusive to the 360 that I personally want. I'm not a hater, though... I'm open to the idea of getting one someday IF more interesting exclusive games appear (not a big shooter fan) and Microsoft issues a version that's fully immune to the RROD problem.

UPDATE:

Just caved and ordered an Elite from Amazon - with Bayonetta and the first Mass Effect. How terribly exciting. Hope it doesn't die.

Separately ordered one of those Play and Charge things and a component lead (have no HMDi sockets left and my amp can convert component to HDMi anyway).

Is that all I need? Sorry, I'm all a bit new to this :)

Oh yeah, one more little question - is the Xbox Live online store thingy updated every week? If so, what day? Mrs Liveinabin and myself already enjoy, what we've come to know as, Free Sh*t Thursday on PSN. Another would be cool.

is the Xbox Live online store thingy updated every week?

Yes at any given time weekly there are new avatar items, DLC, videos, themes, demos etc.... I don't there is a particular day. Many are free, others cost points.

There are usually new Live Arcade titles every Wednesday though. Those are rarely free!! :)

Sounds like you are off to a good start with what you have.

Did you get any games packed in the Elite?

No, there are some bundles going around with Forza, Pure and Lego Batman for slightly more than retail, but none of those games really interests me. Amazon UK had a deal on, the Elite and 2 games from a short list (I got Bayonetta and ME1) for £199. Can't wait to get stuck into Mass Effect.

UPDATE:

Just caved and ordered an Elite from Amazon - with Bayonetta and the first Mass Effect. How terribly exciting. Hope it doesn't die.

Separately ordered one of those Play and Charge things and a component lead (have no HMDi sockets left and my amp can convert component to HDMi anyway).

Is that all I need? Sorry, I'm all a bit new to this :)

Oh yeah, one more little question - is the Xbox Live online store thingy updated every week? If so, what day? Mrs Liveinabin and myself already enjoy, what we've come to know as, Free Sh*t Thursday on PSN. Another would be cool.

At least the new arcade consoles come with the component cable still. They have both the old Component/Composite output and an HDMI port. I'd be surprised if the Elite was any different.

I thought it was a bit much that the Elite now only comes with a composite cable. Nothing very elite about that, is there?

I agree.... you would think Microsoft and Sony would throw a $2 HDMI cable in the box too.

They are not the only culprits though. I bought a Panasonic Blue Ray player recently and it did not have a HDMI cable included either.

The only HD component I have bought that does come with a HDMI cable is a DirecTV receiver.

Ooh, just looked at the Xbox Live Marketplace - I didn't realise how much good stuff was there! - Rez, Ikaruga, Robotron 2084, Mr Driller... Yay!

Be sure and grab Aegis Wing for free. That game is great fun if you can get a 4 player online going and best of all....FREE

I considered getting a 360˙ for AvP when it comes out, but probably won't since I keep hearing nothing but bad about the machines reliability. I thought the new AvP was exclusive to the system though...

I do not have any real statistics but complaints seem to be normal for any 360 built after late 2008. Launch era 360s were not reliable at all.

If you buy a new unit, I do not think you have anything to worry about.