IGNORED

Games that could easily be done on lynx = lots of fun

Arek

I would love to see a Contra style game on the Lynx, with some pharallax, scaling and rotation effects. Haha, i always vote for Contra in this type of treads, as long as the systems library lacks such type of game, of course.

icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

Contra would be GREAT!

As would Rolling Thunder!

I like RT2 & 3 much better!icon_wink.gif

I never played those... I'll have to locate them on MAME! LOL

I would love to see a Contra style game on the Lynx, with some pharallax, scaling and rotation effects. Haha, i always vote for Contra in this type of treads, as long as the systems library lacks such type of game, of course.

icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

Contra would be GREAT!

As would Rolling Thunder!

I like RT2 & 3 much better!icon_wink.gif

I never played those... I'll have to locate them on MAME! LOL

Might of only been for Genesis?

To tired to remember...icon_sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing some Lynx Mode 7 videos, I think it would be great to see a driving game in style of Mario Kart or F-Zero.

Shame that I have no programming/code skills for even attempting that.

Though, the demos in the videos seemed bit on the slow side, so I dont know if Lynx hardware would have the power for fastpaced racing in Mode 7.

I don't what this big deal about that mode 7 demo is. The Lynx could do mode 7 in hardware before the SNES even came out and people knew what it was. A driving game eh? You not seen Battlewheels? Or maybe STUN Runner?

I know both of those games and they indeed are good, even though both concentrate bit too much on shooting things and making stuff explode, which kinda isnt the point when you are on the mode 7 platform. Mario Kart and F-zero were great RACERS. Thats why I wonder why people arent utilizing the true racing feature of mode 7 on the Lynx.

Also, Stun runner is hardly a racer, its more like a linear tube shooter. Awesome graphics yes, but not a racer.

I don't what this big deal about that mode 7 demo is. The Lynx could do mode 7 in hardware before the SNES even came out and people knew what it was. A driving game eh? You not seen Battlewheels? Or maybe STUN Runner?

There are no games on the lynx that uses mode-7. mode-7 = a big texture that can be rotated on more than one axis. The mode 7 achieved in a demo on youtube is done by cleverly using the atari lynx' hardware and it's not something the lynx can do by default.

I think I also missed The_Laird´s point. Battlewheels and STUN Runner are cool, but are not the same as Mode 7 I think; so those games are no indication the Lynx could handle a game in Mode 7.

The Genesis also has a much stronger CPU than the SNES, yet that does not make it possible to do Mode 7 on it in SNES quality.

I guess this misunderstanding stems from the bad habit of calling all scaling and rotation-stuff Mode-7.

On topic:

I have written it before, but Contra would make a good Lynx-game, and the system lacks a decent Run´n Gun.

Also a beat´em up (or as Americans put it "fighting game") is really missing; such a great genre for multiplayer, and one that can work well even with the Lynx low resolution.

A Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy-type RPG would rule as well; as would a Zelda-clone.

And damn, I wanna see David Crane´s Ghostbusters with enhanced graphics on the Lynx!

Edited by 108 Stars

Ok lets explain this

Battlewheels uses scaling and rotation effects at the same time, much like mode 7 does on the SNES.

STUN Runner uses polygons and scaling at the same time at a very high speed which is even more impressive.

The Megadrive dosn't have any custom graphics like the Lynx does that why it struggles with these effects as it has to do it all in software.

There are plenty of games that prove how powerful the Lynx's custom graphics hardware is and that it can handle mode 7 style stuff without a problem.

A multiplayer Kart game has always been at around the top of my wish list of Lynx games. It probably would be missing the rotating playfield, but would feature sprite scaling, something that not even the SNES Super Mario Kart had!

This are the 10 games that i would love to see in the Lynx:

*Bonk/PC Denjin clone: We got Zaku which is inspired on Bonks pal Zonk, so why not a Bonk clone?, that type of graphics would look great on the Lynx it could even add some parallax that not even the PC Engine game had! Oh and lets not forget some tasteful scaling effects here and there!

*A FPS ala Catacoms 3d: Something like Wolfenstein would probably be too much for the Lynx, but something along the lines of Catacomb 3d should be possible.

*An Outrun style game: Oh yeah, putting the Lynx awesome scaling effects to good use.

*A Zelda clone: Enough said.

*A Final Fantasy clone: Ditto.

*A multiplayer Kart game:

*A River City Ransom clone: Lynx has the muscle to display lots of sprites asses to beat around, right?

*Contra clone: Making over the top use of the Lynx special effects on its graphics, now that is my wet dream!

*Action game ala Strider or Shinobi or the old Castlevanias:

*A decent one on one fighting game: That is designed with the Lynx hardware in mind, you can get some pretty nice gameplay on just 2 action butons. Just look at CAPCOM VS SNK on Neo Geo Pocket Color.

I CAN DREAM RIGHT?!

Edited by sd32

There are no games on the lynx that uses mode-7. mode-7 = a big texture that can be rotated on more than one axis. The mode 7 achieved in a demo on youtube is done by cleverly using the atari lynx' hardware and it's not something the lynx can do by default.

Well isn´t the "zoom ship after level complete" in Zarlor Mercenary a mode-7 effect?

Well isn´t the "zoom ship after level complete" in Zarlor Mercenary a mode-7 effect?

I would call it scaling.

There is an important difference between the lynx and the snes when it comes to these effects. The lynx can scale all of its sprites and the snes can scale/rotate the background only.

It´s time to post this pic again it seems....rpg.gif

:D

Can u elaborate a bit more on what I am looking at? I might try and develop something like a Zelda clone myself. Still 'working' on a few demos before starting to implement the real deal tho. For sure this will take forever with my current other projects going on..

It´s time to post this pic again it seems....rpg.gif

:D

Can u elaborate a bit more on what I am looking at? I might try and develop something like a Zelda clone myself. Still 'working' on a few demos before starting to implement the real deal tho. For sure this will take forever with my current other projects going on..

Remember a few years back someone was doing a 2D version of Zelda OoT? I think it was stopped by Nintendo, but the progress was very nice.

That would be awesome on the Lynx. Can you imagine perhaps a series of carts with a few levels on each carts?!

I also wonder what that pic is in the above post

Actually, the pic is just a mock-up I did.

When I started helping matashen with Lynxopoly graphics I also did some conceptual screenshots

on possible RPG/Action-RPG-type games. Me being an RPG fan and gfx artist for Pier Solar on Genesis,

and him toying with the idea to do a cool RPG I couldn´t resist. :)

I wanted to try my skills on the Lynx, as I am used to having a 320x224 resolution

and 64 colors at once from the Genesis; so switching to 160x102 and 16 colors was a bit of a challenge, but I think both pics show just how good such games could look

even on the Lynx.

Sadly the RPG is put on hold for the moment, as some other projects have priority.

The one you see above is from a possible multiplayer-Zelda-clone. The other one I did was more in line with Diablo.

lynxisorpgstudie.png

Both pics are pretty much what such a game could look like on the Lynx; I used the original resolution and

the correct number of colors, eventhough I am not sure the color count is still correct after I converted the

pics a few times.

I am working on screens for a possible beat´em up/fighting game and a Contra-clone atm, I´ll post them soon. :)

Doing such mock-ups is not unusual even for professional devs btw. We all know the Atari-2600-Hulk-screenshots, or the pics of the Game.Com version of Metal Gear Solid.

When any homebrewer would want to pick such a concept up, I would be glad to help. ;)

@ninjabba

Your demo looks promising. :)

Being a Final-Fantasy-nut your choice of the character sprite is appreciated. :P

It´s really a shame that few people can do both well; coding and drawing.

There are many games I would like to do, but I can´t code one bit, and for a programming n00b the Lynx must be especially hard to do something for, seeing it is best programmed in ASM.

So I do mock-ups and jump on board whenever a project seems cool and some pixel art is needed.

Edited by 108 Stars

Actually, the pic is just a mock-up I did.

When I started helping matashen with Lynxopoly graphics I also did some conceptual screenshots

on possible RPG/Action-RPG-type games. Me being an RPG fan and gfx artist for Pier Solar on Genesis,

and him toying with the idea to do a cool RPG I couldn´t resist. :)

I wanted to try my skills on the Lynx, as I am used to having a 320x224 resolution

and 64 colors at once from the Genesis; so switching to 160x102 and 16 colors was a bit of a challenge, but I think both pics show just how good such games could look

even on the Lynx.

Sadly the RPG is put on hold for the moment, as some other projects have priority.

The one you see above is from a possible multiplayer-Zelda-clone. The other one I did was more in line with Diablo.

lynxisorpgstudie.png

Both pics are pretty much what such a game could look like on the Lynx; I used the original resolution and

the correct number of colors, eventhough I am not sure the color count is still correct after I converted the

pics a few times.

I am working on screens for a possible beat´em up/fighting game and a Contra-clone atm, I´ll post them soon. :)

Doing such mock-ups is not unusual even for professional devs btw. We all know the Atari-2600-Hulk-screenshots, or the pics of the Game.Com version of Metal Gear Solid.

When any homebrewer would want to pick such a concept up, I would be glad to help. ;)

@ninjabba

Your demo looks promising. :)

Being a Final-Fantasy-nut your choice of the character sprite is appreciated. :P

It´s really a shame that few people can do both well; coding and drawing.

There are many games I would like to do, but I can´t code one bit, and for a programming n00b the Lynx must be especially hard to do something for, seeing it is best programmed in ASM.

So I do mock-ups and jump on board whenever a project seems cool and some pixel art is needed.

There are some more ideas flying around, but i cant code on 1000 projects at the same time. So i decided to do first some projects where i can get more coding skills. An RPG and a strategy game is planed in the future. Hope 108Stars have enough time to draw when i start to code. When we talk about possible games, we send us ideas and concept arts to figure out what can be done and how it looks.

Regards

Matthias