IGNORED

Running NTSC system on PAL TV?

Tickled_Pink

This question could probably be posted on just about every forum here, but this will do. icon_wink.gif

I've just discovered that our 21" PAL CRT TV will run at a refresh rate of 60Hz, albeit with a bit of letterboxing. COD Modern Warfare 2 only runs at 'PAL 60' on our TV. Does that mean that the TV will also run 60Hz NTSC signals?

I've just discovered that our 21" PAL CRT TV will run at a refresh rate of 60Hz, albeit with a bit of letterboxing. COD Modern Warfare 2 only runs at 'PAL 60' on our TV. Does that mean that the TV will also run 60Hz NTSC signals?

The NTSC colour signal is different as well as the frequency. Unless it specifies in the TV's manual that it supports NTSC and PAL its probably not going to work. There is however a good chance it will work with an AV modded console.

Are you running COD from a computer or console?

If you can use your computer's TV-out and do normal NTSC, then consoles should be fine.

PAL60 isn't guarantee it'll do proper NTSC though - PAL60 is just a defacto standard meaning it's sending a PAL signal at 60 Hz and faster horizontal frequency.

Are you running COD from a computer or console?

If you can use your computer's TV-out and do normal NTSC, then consoles should be fine.

PAL60 isn't guarantee it'll do proper NTSC though - PAL60 is just a defacto standard meaning it's sending a PAL signal at 60 Hz and faster horizontal frequency.

I'm running it on an Xbox.

I suppose the only way to find out what this TV will do is to get hold of a 5200 or 1200XL. icon_mrgreen.gif

I haven't got this verified but I guess most european CRT TVs will not run NTSC antenna signal correctly (at least the colours will be off) meaning Atari 2600 will not display right. But most of them will accept NTSC through composite or RGB inputs.

As for the Xbox, that system is not built for standard CRT at all... the Xbox 1 renders at 480p (active scanlines) - too much for normal CRT TV, also have a look at its arcade variation (Chihiro?) that uses 480p displays in the cabinets..., and many games have the graphics too tiny and hard to read, it all does not look right at all... so for the Xbox you really need a TV that can handle 480 active scanlines.. I believe the last Philips CRT models from 2006 can do that.

Xbox 360 renders at 720p and there's no optimal display for that at all... all LCD and plazmas have different matrix....