IGNORED

7800 Put me in the hospital!

voiddweller

:D Just kidding!!!

The pain from the Crampline controllers is killing me! I just finished playing Commando for about 20 minutes and this just should not be happening.

I just started collecting 7800 items and I am considering getting rid of it because of this anti-ergonomic design. I know I can use other controllers (and I do) but I NEED to have both fire buttons for Commando.

I like the CX40 mod , but want to go a little further. If a home brew person would be willing to set me up with instructions on a HAPP controller or a more comfortable Wico bat controller (modified to handle the Aux fire button) or even a game pad, I would be most appreciative!

- VD

I despise the 7800 controllers and avoid them like the plague. One would think that Atari would have learned from the Atari 5200, but no, they managed to make controllers that were even more uncomfortable to use than the 5200! At least they didn't try to make another non-centering analog stick.

Thank goodness that console makers eventually learned the importance of ergonomics. Well, except Microsoft. :)

..Al

:D   Just kidding!!!  

The pain from the Crampline controllers is killing me!  I just finished playing Commando for about 20 minutes and this just should not be happening.  

I just started collecting 7800 items and I am considering getting rid of it  because of this anti-ergonomic design.  I know I can use other controllers (and I do) but I NEED to have both fire buttons for Commando.

I like the CX40 mod, but want to go a little further.  If a home brew person would be willing to set me up with instructions on a HAPP controller or  a more comfortable Wico bat controller (modified to handle the Aux fire button) or even a game pad, I would be most appreciative!

- VD

I haven't used the standard 7800 controllers in over a year for actual playing. I just test them out occasionally when I'm selling one.

I built myself a pair of HAPP controllers which works great for most games. Though, for a few games I still like using 2600 third party joysticks.

I do have an extra Wico bat joystick that I could probably mod if I can find the time. What do you have to trade if I mod it for you?

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I despise the 7800 controllers and avoid them like the plague. One would think that Atari would have learned from the Atari 5200, but no, they managed to make controllers that were even more uncomfortable to use than the 5200!

No, they're not as bad as the 5200 controllers, they seem a bit more streamlined and easier to hold on to, but by no means suited for long play sessions. They also seem to fail too easy, both of mine are shot, making Double Dragon impossible to play.

Thank goodness that console makers eventually learned the importance of ergonomics.  Well, except Microsoft.  :)

Microsoft should have stuck with the Sidewinder design that they used for their PC pad. Those things are both very comfortable and very responsive; they're perhaps my favorite controllers after the original Atari sticks.

If you want to use the most comfortable controller that Atari ever made, I would go to Best Electronics and buy the Best Jaguar Power Pad adapter with a New Jaguar Power Pad combo ($26.95). It works great, feels great, you still have use of two buttons for the 7800, and at least you are still using an Atari product. It is the only controller that I use anymore.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/review.htm

Now if I could just complete my mod for it so that I can use it on the 5200 I would be set...... :x :x :? :?

If you want to use the most comfortable controller that Atari ever made, I would go to Best Electronics and buy the Best Jaguar Power Pad adapter with a New Jaguar Power Pad combo ($26.95).  It works great, feels great, you still have use of two buttons for the 7800, and at least you are still using an Atari product.  It is the only controller that I use anymore.  

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/review.htm

Now if I could just complete my mod for it so that I can use it on the 5200 I would be set...... :x  :x  :?  :?

Are you sure that it has 7800 two button support? From the review it seems to indicate that it doesn't.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Are you sure that it has 7800 two button support? From the review it  seems to indicate that it doesn't.

Mitchhttp://atari7800.atari.org

I doubt it myself. Trust us, if you really want an anti-cramping controller for 7800, get the official Atari joypads that were sold in Europe. It's no different from an SMS controller, save for the fact that both buttons are keyed correctly to 7800, whereas with the SMS controller or any other 9-pin non-Atari you plug in, you'll only get a one button response no matter how many it has.

Ok, I can't seem to find any games that use two buttons right now in my collection. I just tried Ms. Pac, Choplifter, Robotron, Joust, and Mario Bros. Do any of those use two buttons and I am just to stupid to figure it out? Let me know.

Thanks,

Randall

The Joypads just came in this morning. I hooked both of them up and tried several games with and without the thumbstick attached.

The ergonomics are much better than the 7800 Crampline joysticks. The fire buttons respond well and it fits comfortable in my hand. While I think they feel cheap, after two hours of play, my hands still feel fine!

Unfortunately, the thumb pad feels sloppy. The output is never exactly where I depress, unless a good amount of force is applied. I tried Ms.Pac-Man, Commando, and Winter Games. Ms. Pac-Man experienced momentary delays when changing directions that I would describe as a slight to pronounced hesitation in movement. Commando was O.K., but it was VERY difficult to quickly change directions. Winter Games...well...it was not playable.

I REALLY wanted to like the Joypads, but they were an experience in frustration!

Custom hardware hacks, here I come!

- VD

Now...if I could only find and adapter to utilize the X-Arcade....bah...who would be interested in that? :roll:

Screw a SMS pad thumb-stick into the 7800 pads rather than the normal concave one. I find that this makes the pads a little easier to control. Not perfect but better. I generally only use my pad for two button games. For everything else, I use a CX40.

the best joy for the 7800 is the hoypad with the stick that screws in the arrow buttons. it works as good as the joystick but it feels better and its more comfortable. the other good joy stick is the boss from wico. it has 2 buttons on the 7800 and also for the 520 st 8 bit 2600 and comodore.