IGNORED

Black Magic Composer Manual

Syfo-Dyas

I have been talking to user Alphasys on Youtube, and they told me they had the original Black Magic Composer manual and that they would translate it for me and put it into PDF format.

Well here we are a few months later and it is complete!

I hope you guys get some good use out of this.

Thankx again to Arianne aka AlphaSys for the hard work!

Manual Available on the Atari section of my messy web page here:

http://starwarslegacy.net/Atari.aspx

P.S. if you can think of any links I should add to the page, please let me know!

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

Wow. I happen to be the original author of the BMC ... and I'm totally amazed that you dug up this piece of software after nearly 20 years :) It's been such a long time, I had totally forgotten about it. Seeing the above youtube video brings back some very fond memories of old times :)

• Like 1

Good Old BMC. They stated that this is the 1st Soundtool with sinewave support. I still wonder where to find it ;)

In the RMT Folder, some tune from "Nils Feske" was my latest victim to do some impossible stuff with the Pokey.

You can try the "original" right with RMT.

The changes made two "C64 like" waves with false side noise and badly interfering, into one guitar sound (build by filter offset programming) and a synth-sweep (using some modulation)...

Good lord.... what will happen, if we could get those sounds out of the BMC including the drum channel.....icon_ponder.gif

harmonix.zip

Wow. I happen to be the original author of the BMC ... and I'm totally amazed that you dug up this piece of software after nearly 20 years :) It's been such a long time, I had totally forgotten about it. Seeing the above youtube video brings back some very fond memories of old times :)

Welcome Cheetah!

Well, I have to admit I couldn't resist to give Syfo-Dyas your e-mail address. Although I did not know you also wrote software on the A8, I knew of your music and programming skills from the "Furry Fantasies" CD I own and your involvement in the Amiga version of "Inherit the Earth". So when I read your name, it was pretty clear to me that it must have been you who did this great piece of software.

Thorsten

Good Old BMC. They stated that this is the 1st Soundtool with sinewave support. I still wonder where to find it icon_wink.gif

In the RMT Folder, some tune from "Nils Feske" was my latest victim to do some impossible stuff with the Pokey.

You can try the "original" right with RMT.

The changes made two "C64 like" waves with false side noise and badly interfering, into one guitar sound (build by filter offset programming) and a synth-sweep (using some modulation)...

Good lord.... what will happen, if we could get those sounds out of the BMC including the drum channel.....icon_ponder.gif

This one is as above. Just some portamento on the modulation added. And the guitar has a "harder" attack.

Can tell me someone about the "real" original tune? I don't know it ;)

harmonixu.zip

Cheetah! So you are the author I wrote to...

I humbly bow before you! ;)

Did you ever receive my E-mail?

It seems that BMC does not like NTSC machines, so I had written requesting the source code in hopes that I could find a coder that would be interested in correcting that.

For what ever reason on a NTSC machine, when you select DIR at the top, the listing does not pop up, and you can no longer use the mouse cursor to click on anything. Yet on a PAL machine this is not an issue at all.

As for me, I'm going to end up ordering a PAL machine or two, but I thought it would nice to see this software tweaked a little bit so that NTSC users could use it as well. I'm sure with the sudden interest in 8-bit chip tunes, that a lot of American musicians would love to get their hands on an amazing piece of software like this!

Sounds really clean, (in a dirty atari 8-bit sort of way), the only way I think you could improve this now is to make the songs longer. :)

So are you using Raster as well?

It really goes against my purist principles, but I may just have to have a crack at that software. It's amazing how much the POKEY sounds like the SID.

Thanks for the flowers icon_wink.gif

But , be aware, this is not the edge of the possible POKEY can do.

Sounds really clean, (in a dirty atari 8-bit sort of way), the only way I think you could improve this now is to make the songs longer. icon_smile.gif

So are you using Raster as well?

Raster Music Tracker, yes. Since I'm not a professional Musician I need some pre defined source for my experiments.

As you might see, the tune really runs in standard environment at 1VBI speed.

It really goes against my purist principles, but I may just have to have a crack at that software. It's amazing how much the POKEY sounds like the SID.

No problem, being a purist here. Those "new" sounds are still POKEY. The main problem here: They simply were not used before.

And, well, It's not my goal to make POKEY sounding like SID. According to the timeline, SID sounds like POKEY icon_wink.gif

The goal is to have a balanced sounding in high and low notes, and to have nice variation in the sounds.

The BIG deal would be, to have a combination of RMT and BMC plus some additions to handle the synth sounds more precisely. This simply means some cycle counting once per VBI in the playing routine.

Edited by emkay

Yeah... we need this tool multiple times X)

But today even the standard RMT impressed me a bit ....

This time a -tune by miker- had to be raped ;)

The usage is quite different. The Pizzi style is done with a short filter and then turned into a modulated voice.

The filter voice plays at the double frequency by the resulting of the hardware filtering. In modulated mode the sound has half the frequency, so it has to fit together. Some arpeggio 00/f4 is added because the tune is build upon this.

bj1.zip