IGNORED

Will PAL 7800 carts playable on a US/NTSC system?

Austin

Like the title question states, I'm curious if PAL 7800 carts will play in a US 7800 system. I had a hard time sifting through the threads via the search function, and I couldn't see anything about it in the 7800 FAQ here on AA, so any feedback here is welcome. :)

My dumb-ass purchased a shrinkwrapped copy of Alien Brigade thinking what a hell of a deal it was (considering it's a R6)... Until I realized it's the PAL version. Having already hit the buy-it-now button, it looks like I'm stuck with it. Oops.

Also, I'm curious--What's the rarity like on the PAL version of Alien Brigade? I'm assuming since I paid $15 after shipping for a sealed copy, it's a lot more common than the US version.

Like the title question states, I'm curious if PAL 7800 carts will play in a US 7800 system. I had a hard time sifting through the threads via the search function, and I couldn't see anything about it in the 7800 FAQ here on AA, so any feedback here is welcome. :)

My dumb-ass purchased a shrinkwrapped copy of Alien Brigade thinking what a hell of a deal it was (considering it's a R6)... Until I realized it's the PAL version. Having already hit the buy-it-now button, it looks like I'm stuck with it. Oops.

Also, I'm curious--What's the rarity like on the PAL version of Alien Brigade? I'm assuming since I paid $15 after shipping for a sealed copy, it's a lot more common than the US version.

Nope, it won't work on an NTSC system, PAL roms are not signed like the NTSC versions so you will just have to enjoy looking at the box

Not difficult to get hold of a cart only, boxed may take a few weeks

Nope, it won't work on an NTSC system, PAL roms are not signed like the NTSC versions so you will just have to enjoy looking at the box

Oh, just beautiful! :lolblue:

Ah well.. Ya live and ya learn. Thanks for the info! :)

PS, if anyone else wants a paperweight, there are about five of these left from Classic Game Source on eBay. BIN, free shipping.. Also, another source has about the same amount of copies, but for $20 a pop.

Edited by Austin

Oh, just beautiful! :lolblue:

Ah well.. Ya live and ya learn. Thanks for the info! :)

PS, if anyone else wants a paperweight, there are about five of these left from Classic Game Source on eBay. BIN, free shipping.. Also, another source has about the same amount of copies, but for $20 a pop.

If you don't want that CIB PAL Alien Brigade, I'd trade for or buy it from you.

I will keep you in mind, Shawn. The deal is, I'm trying to buy a 7800 I see on eBay when I get paid on Friday morning, provided it hasn't been sold yet. With that in mind, I'm going to need some games, so if you happen to have spares I could see us working out some kind of trade.

Aw, the bastard! The system I was looking at has been sold. He decided to update his listing with the missing information I asked about that was probably keeping people from buying the thing.. And he was offered ten bucks less then what I was going to pay for it. *sigh*

Edited by Austin

I will keep you in mind, Shawn. The deal is, I'm trying to buy a 7800 I see on eBay when I get paid on Friday morning, provided it hasn't been sold yet. With that in mind, I'm going to need some games, so if you happen to have spares I could see us working out some kind of trade.

Well I could convert that Alien Brigade for you from PAL to NTSC if you buy me one of those PAL ones. You send me a CIB PAL Alien Brigade and your PAL Alien Brigade cart and I'll mail you back the PAL cart but it will be magically transformed to NTSC. :grin:

Well I could convert that Alien Brigade for you from PAL to NTSC if you buy me one of those PAL ones. You send me a CIB PAL Alien Brigade and your PAL Alien Brigade cart and I'll mail you back the PAL cart but it will be magically transformed to NTSC. :grin:

Hahaha.. I probably wouldn't want to do so until I had a system I was capable of playing it on! Anyway, we'll see. :lolblue:

I just posted a WTB listing in the marketplace.. Maybe I will get lucky. :D

Astropuff... I got myself an NTSC Ikari Warriors but I only have 2600 joysticks for the 7800 right now... so bottom line is, I have a working game but can't play it! Correction... I can play it but I can't shoot. lol Kinda pointless.... but at least I got the game to start and could confirm it was an NTSC version. How are you liking the 7800 so far anyway? I'm loving mine!

Astropuff... I got myself an NTSC Ikari Warriors but I only have 2600 joysticks for the 7800 right now... so bottom line is, I have a working game but can't play it! Correction... I can play it but I can't shoot. lol Kinda pointless.... but at least I got the game to start and could confirm it was an NTSC version. How are you liking the 7800 so far anyway? I'm loving mine!

I love it, well the few games I have anyway :) Ive got a extra kinda loose 7800 controller I give ya if you pay the shipping. That way you can atleast shoot :) Let me know if your intreasted.

In a slightly related context:

Does NTSC Ballblazer normally crash after a while on a PAL machine?

I've tried 3 of the BB ROM boards I got from Jaybird on my machine - a bit of garbage at the bottom of screen, you can play the game for a short time then it locks up the system.

Just wondering whether it's normal, or if in fact these boards have defective ROMs.

In a slightly related context:

I've tried 3 of the BB ROM boards I got from Jaybird on my machine - a bit of garbage at the bottom of screen, you can play the game for a short time then it locks up the system.

Just wondering whether it's normal, or if in fact these boards have defective ROMs.

That's interesting, I'd be curious to know that myself. I've never seen a bad ROM out of the boards I've tested (which must be a few dozen by this time), but I haven't had the means to try them on a PAL console.

Not sure, I'd have to try it. Usually NTSC games on a PAL machine do one of three things:

1) Play fine with a little graphical garbage

2) Play fine but with huge graphical glitching

3) Crash shortly after booting

Sounds like Ballblazer might in case 3 here but I've never tried the NTSC ROM on a PAL machine yet...

Check out the Golden Ax in the market place, he usually has a 7800 or two to sell at good prices. Much safer than egay

Why thank you preppie. Yes I have tons of games like Alien Brigade for sale, and could hook you up if you need a system as well.

Thanks,

AX

As much as I want a system, I'm only looking for a complete one (box & manual).. If it happens to be the one-in-a-million chance you have one like that Ax, shoot a PM my way.. ;)