IGNORED

Sega Genesis 3-button or 6-button Pad

jboypacman

3 buttons came first. 6 button controllers came out later. As a result, some earlier games don't work well with a 6 button controller, hence the 'mode' button, meant to be held down during system boot to get the 6 button controller to act like the older 3 button one.

Some games just don't work like this. The only one I can think of offhand is Ms. Pac-Man. IIRC, when using a 6 button controller with this game, even if 'mode' button is held during system boot, you can't go up.

The Sega 6 button controllers are kinda small, with the buttons pretty darn close together. There were some third party controllers with individually selectable turbo functions(auto-fire) that used a shape more like the original 3 button Sega controllers. These 3rd party controllers had a lot more room for 6 buttons and worked nicely.

Of course, as is mentioned in previous posts, the 6 button control is a necessity for some games, especially fighters.

That being said, both kinds have their appeal.

Nothing beats walking around some random world on Toe Jam and Earl with a bulky controller or having all your guys and trying to swim to the lower left corner hoping you can make it to the island of happiness. It just isnt the same using a six button controller since that controller didn't even exist when you were playing Toe Jam and Earl!

Depends on the game, but for the most part, it's the original 3-button for me. I don't own an actual Sega brand 6-button, seems that every used one I pick up is broken, I have at least three that were DOA.

There are a few (especially Star Wars Arcade 32X and Doom 32x) that I like to use an aciiPad MD-6. I like the shoulder buttons as triggers.

mdpad002.JPG

3 button since I don't play fighting games on Genesis.

I really liked my Genny arcade stick when I used to have one. I'd be happy to find something similar for PC to use with MAME, etc.

I'm pretty sure you can get Genesis -> PC controller adapters, and those joysticks go for hardly anything these days. :thumbsup:

Many of the later games, including non-fighting games, required the 6-button controller, otherwise you had to do funky button combos for regular gameplay.

I've never heard of a 6-button not working with any game ever, or having to use the "Mode" button during boot-up. I once called SOA and they told me that all it was used for at the time was the code in Doom 32X.

3 button since I don't play fighting games on Genesis.

I really liked my Genny arcade stick when I used to have one. I'd be happy to find something similar for PC to use with MAME, etc.

I'm pretty sure you can get Genesis -> PC controller adapters, and those joysticks go for hardly anything these days. :thumbsup:

I want a decent 6 button stick for PC use. Some games need more buttons.

I have to chime in with my preference for the 6-button. It's buttons and d-pad are so much more responsive and accurate to this gamer. D-pad on the 3-button Sega is too large and you often end up accidentally pressing a direction you didn't mean to. 6-button pads are elevated and a touch smaller for more refined directional movement.

As an aside, I like using the 6-button pad on just about any game system it's compatible with. Great for the Amiga, C64, A8, Vic, Atari 2600/7800, etc.

Edited by save2600

I have to chime in with my preference for the 6-button. It's buttons and d-pad are so much more responsive and accurate to this gamer. D-pad on the 3-button Sega is too large and you often end up accidentally pressing a direction you didn't mean to. 6-button pads are elevated and a touch smaller for more refined directional movement.

As an aside, I like using the 6-button pad on just about any game system it's compatible with. Great for the Amiga, C64, A8, Vic, Atari 2600/7800, etc.

I've always noticed the 3-button pad being somewhat too stiff for "Marble Madness". That game requires very precise control.