IGNORED

Wanted: 8-bit cable for Commodore 1702 Monitor

Albert

It's a lot easier to just use the composite from an XEGS. :P

Mitch

True, but it's just composite and I really want to take advantage of the split chroma/luma inputs on the 1702. You get a fantastic picture that way. And I prefer the one-piece design of an 800XL or 130XE over the XEGS.

..Al

If I remember both of those machines don't look so great with a S-Video (Croma/Luma) connection. I think the 800 is the one that looked nice. Check some of the recent threads about lines through the picture.

Mitch

Edit: Here's the thread I was think about. I guess it's only the XE machines that have the issue.

Using chroma/luma looks so much better than composite, especially on the 1702. Maybe other people have issues with it, but my 130XE looks great on my 1702, using only Atari's stock video circuitry (I tried to take a picture but I'm getting bad moiré patterns). I actually have my 7800 development console connected to it, too, using Longhorn's S-Video mod kit and a switchbox.

The only problem with chroma/luma is that you lose color artifacting, but this is only an issue if you need ANTIC mode 15.

Hi, I always have it in my mind to hook up with 1702s if I run into a deal. I've been buying regular composite and S-video cables (for Atari and Commodore) from this guy on ebay:

eBay Seller: atari-commodore-n-morestore1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You'll notice he has S-video (4-pin mini DIN) cables for A8, and what's cool are the "combo" S-video _and_ composite cables. You'll also notice he lists chroma/luma for Commodore as well, but not for Atari. I asked him about this (on Ebay messenger) and he said he can make those too. You might try contacting him.

Have yet to get a chroma/luma cable, but I'm quite pleased with the quality of the others I've ordered.

I will play with the quote editor and paste the message here!

To: atari-commodore-n-morestore

Subject: Message from eBay Member Regarding Item #250534580625

Sent Date: Dec-08-09 21:03:16 PST

Dear atari-commodore-n-morestore,

Hi.

I was just wondering if you sell the "split composite" cable as well - for BOTH the Commodore and the Atari (800/XE/modified XL)?

I DON'T NEED THEM NOW. If, perhaps, I run across a Commodore 1701/1702 monitor on the cheap, I guess I'd need that.

Dear wood_jl,

YES! I do both. They are different. If you want one, let me know...I can invoice you. David (:

- atari-commodore-n-morestore

Edited by wood_jl

If I remember both of those machines don't look so great with a S-Video (Croma/Luma) connection. I think the 800 is the one that looked nice. Check some of the recent threads about lines through the picture.

Mitch

Edit: Here's the thread I was think about. I guess it's only the XE machines that have the issue.

I don't get any vertical lines on my 130XE nor 800 using either composite video or s-video (chroma/luma). I think it's due to various expansions people have put in their machines who may be experiencing vertical lines due to power issues or interference.

I don't get any vertical lines on my 130XE nor 800 using either composite video or s-video (chroma/luma). I think it's due to various expansions people have put in their machines who may be experiencing vertical lines due to power issues or interference.

No problems with my stock 130XE too.

There are countless factors that determine what you finally see on your TV/monitor. I have seen stock 600XLs/800XLs running thru the RF jack that looked as good as some s-video setups. You cannot expect a one-size-fits-all solution...

And, yes - adding mods to the system "may" introduce video nasties.

Bob

Mitch

There are countless factors that determine what you finally see on your TV/monitor. I have seen stock 600XLs/800XLs running thru the RF jack that looked as good as some s-video setups. You cannot expect a one-size-fits-all solution...

And, yes - adding mods to the system "may" introduce video nasties.

Bob

Mitch

Okay, there are many factors to determine the output but the stock A800/800XL/XE/XEGS cannot be required to tinker the hardware to remove vertical lines as in that case they are defective and should have failed quality assurance. And the proof that they are fine is that there are examples of each of those stock models that don't produce vertical lines.

You're right regarding getting better output with RF in some cases as when I pass the A400 through a Blonder Tongue demodulator, the picture is very cleaner and crisper than s-video.

Hi

Do these cables work with the Commodore 1702 monitor?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1403808690121?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

Interesting, an actual "Color Monitor Cable" from Atari. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. This would work fine with a 1702, but you'd need to use the composite input on the front, which defeats the purpose a bit of using a Commodore 1702.

I'm surprised he can get away with having a link to his site in that auction, since eBay is generally quick to end your auctions if you dare link to a site selling the same items..

..Al

What's the difference between this and the COLOR cable? Given that Al said you must use the front composite video input connector of the 1702 Commodore monitor...

The monochrome cable connects only to the luma output, which gives you a clearer picture on a monochrome monitor because it leaves out the color signals.

I've got the color version of this cable. It's basically an RCA jack for audio and a connector with snap-in adapters for different types of video connectors. The only one I'm familiar with is the RCA, and this is the one I use when I need composite video. That cable doesn't give you separate chroma/luma jacks or S-Video, though.

What's the difference between this and the COLOR cable? Given that Al said you must use the front composite video input connector of the 1702 Commodore monitor...

The monochrome cable connects only to the luma output, which gives you a clearer picture on a monochrome monitor because it leaves out the color signals.

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

..Al