IGNORED

Heavy Rain

Reaperman

While IGN seems at times to be a shill for some of the game companies, they aren't totally worthless and are sometimes right on the mark. As examples, they gave my five favorite PS3 games..... Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, and Uncharted a 9+ each, Pixeljunk Monsters an 8.5, & Siren an 8.4.... good scores which each of these games rightly deserved. And none of them were the "gaming as usual" established brand name.

Mendon

I usually look at the user scores too if I go to IGN. Modern Warfare 2 is a perfect example. IGN 9.5. User score 8.2 I'd probably give it a 6.5 due to campaign length but then I suspect they kept it short to make sure it was out in time for Xmas.

I usually look at the Amazon scores though if I haven't heard of a game.

It looks good and i like detective adventures. But i hear nobody complianing about graphic gliches. I had a few, first when talking to the girl, it looks like she is flooting above the ground. Going for place to place like she is on wheels, just no leg motion at all and at a strange speed. The she is picking a cigaret, it is totally a floot in midair just like the lighter. And they are moving arround by a invissable hand. Last one i had locked my ps3 total. Needed to reboot it, it didn't display anything and a wierd noise came out my speakers. No controller input possible. It was just after my visit at the crimescene, when i was near my car.

Am i the only one that has these problems? I have a 60gb fat ps3 launch console.

It looks good and i like detective adventures. But i hear nobody complianing about graphic gliches. I had a few, first when talking to the girl, it looks like she is flooting above the ground. Going for place to place like she is on wheels, just no leg motion at all and at a strange speed. The she is picking a cigaret, it is totally a floot in midair just like the lighter. And they are moving arround by a invissable hand. Last one i had locked my ps3 total. Needed to reboot it, it didn't display anything and a wierd noise came out my speakers. No controller input possible. It was just after my visit at the crimescene, when i was near my car.

Am i the only one that has these problems? I have a 60gb fat ps3 launch console.

Ummm... that's not the game. I think you have a problem. I didn't see any of those issues :?

Last one i had locked my ps3 total. Needed to reboot it, it didn't display anything and a wierd noise came out my speakers. No controller input possible. It was just after my visit at the crimescene, when i was near my car.

I had a lockup like that on one playthrough. I saw what I thought was a guy leaning on the building near my car when I was returning from the crime scene and tried to interact with him. about the time I got to him, my image went black and a *loud* drone came from my speakers.

I haven't tried to repeat it. I have the typical 80-gig for sale up until the slims. I doubt it's a system glitch, more likely an improperly handled software error.

Edited by Reaperman

Last one i had locked my ps3 total. Needed to reboot it, it didn't display anything and a wierd noise came out my speakers. No controller input possible. It was just after my visit at the crimescene, when i was near my car.

I had a lockup like that on one playthrough. I saw what I thought was a guy leaning on the building near my car when I was returning from the crime scene and tried to interact with him. about the time I got to him, my image went black and a *loud* drone came from my speakers.

I haven't tried to repeat it. I have the typical 80-gig for sale up until the slims. I doubt it's a system glitch, more likely an improperly handled software error.

Yep them same lock up as i had. Guess it is software related as well.

I get the feeling this one will drop to $20-30 pretty quickly and that's when I'll snap it up. There are just too many 'sure thing' sequels coming out in the next month or so. On one hand, it's a shame to see something rather unique crushed by the same old sequels. But on the other hand--"iz FF13 d00d!1!!" Tastes vary on what the 'big game' is this time of year, but there sure are enough to choose from.

Publishers seem to have really missed their mark this time around. February/March feels more like October/November, and Santa has a helluva lot larger video game budget than I do.

Edited by Reaperman

I played the demo last night and a little this morning and now believe all game reviews are like reading a horoscope...someone is gonna go "oh my god! that's exactly what I thought I knew it ruled/sucked"

I found the gameplay boring

I find the gameplay in GTA/Halo/GoW/CoD boring. Doesn't mean the 9+ score reviews are wrong or improperly scored, it just means it's not my thing.

Edited by Reaperman

Has anyone gotten this game yet? I'm curious what people think about it.

it's amazing. literally the most intense gaming experience i've ever had. i don't know how to describe it without giving spoilers but this game is the most emotionally weighty, draining, exhilarating and crushing game i've ever played. there are things in here that have never,to my knowledge, been attempted in gaming before.

even considering that the gameplay is contextual button presses, in no way did i feel gypped that it wasn't a "real" game. in all fairness all games are a series of contextual button presses.

for me this game was a revelation. it took about 10 hours on my first playthrough and i got a bittersweet "decent" ending. they weren't lying when they said what you do affects the outcome.

the entire game is an absolute adrenaline rush and by the end i was utterly spent and i knew i'd been some place that games have never taken me before.

the entire game is an absolute adrenaline rush and by the end i was utterly spent and i knew i'd been some place that games have never taken me before.

I will be getting a $25 giftcard to Gamestop soon. I think I'll probably wind up using it for this game.

Picked it up earlier today. Haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far the game is incredibly beautiful, intense and emotionally engaging. I know it will be a relatively short experience and that replay value will be probably be quite limited to me, but all indications so far tell me this is an experience that I would not in any way want to have missed...

That being said, this game is not for everyone and sadly will most likely be overlooked or simply hated by 'Joe Gamer'

I really enjoyed the demo and I'm sure it's an excellent game from the reviews. Unfortunately due to the fact it is basically an inter-active movie, I'm going to be renting this one. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great and innovative game, but the replay value is pretty low.

IGN did a comparison of the fight scene between the prostitute's boyfriend and the private eye showing what would happen with all buttons being pressed successfully, only half the buttons being pressed, and then again with complete failures on the button presses. Although the fight had differences in how the scene played out, the result was the same, the private eye is left alone with the girl.

I just don't have any interest in owning this movie. Rent it definitely, but own? Not really.

Picked it up earlier today. Haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far the game is incredibly beautiful, intense and emotionally engaging. I know it will be a relatively short experience and that replay value will be probably be quite limited to me, but all indications so far tell me this is an experience that I would not in any way want to have missed...

That being said, this game is not for everyone and sadly will most likely be overlooked or simply hated by 'Joe Gamer'

the game's tagline is "how far would you go to save the one you love". i was thinking about that the entire game. no game has ever made me think that deeply about it's concept before and applying it to my own life.

enjoy.

I was pretty sure I would hate this game.

Having just finished Mass Effect 2, I started Bioshock 2.

Heavy Rain arrived on Wednesday and having not turned on my PS3 in many moons, I decided to give the 360 a rest and give Heavy Rain a quick look.

Well, I was wrong about hating it. This game has officially trumped BioShock 2. I can't put it down.

Yes, the controls suck balls and are WAAAYYY wonky when walking around trying to look at things. A run button would have made me pretty damn happy too.

Yes, the game is like 75% push the correct button when it pops up on the screen. The other 25% is a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book.

Yes, the acting is laughable at times because the people are trying to fake American Accents and sometimes it is just really really bad. The acting is fine. You just pretend that all the characters have migrated to America from Koosbarkfrancistan.

However, the story is simply mind blowing and it is really fun investigating and seeing what outcome your choices create. This is why I always wind up with a PS system, for games like this. The Katamari, ICO, Shadow of the Collosus, unique weird games with an artsy style that blow you away from beginning to end.

I think this is the type of game that the PS3 desperately needed to make Xbox fans like me finally fall in love with their PS3.

I would dare say that if you have a PS3 this is a must have. My 360 can take a well deserved nap as I play the hell out of this game.

I think this is the type of game that the PS3 desperately needed to make Xbox fans like me finally fall in love with their PS3.

My PS3 hasn't gotten much love lately either, I was trying to get into Batman Arkham Asylum but that's about it. Heavy Rain however is getting my 360 a much needed rest now (after marathon sessions of Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect 2) :D

I would dare say that if you have a PS3 this is a must have. My 360 can take a well deserved nap as I play the hell out of this game.

This statement convinced me to for sure use my giftcard for this game!!! icon_thumbsup.gif

I think you will like it. The story is really good. I don't think I can name another game that I have been this emotionally invested in. When the story calls for your character to panic, you will panic right along with him. There are glaring issues that should piss you off that I sated above, but they are instantly forgiven as the story simply pulls you in and doesn't let go.

My wife, who puts up with my video game habbit, who plays nothing other than Peggle, Bejeweled or maybe an ocassional round of Diner Dash has, for the first time in years, sat by my side and watched every minute. THAT is saying a lot.

The first hour is pretty dry and tedious, but so far the reward for sticking with it after that initial hour has been incredible.

Finished it.

Brilliant and a must play.

A bit of a hole left at the end but over all just fantastic. If it wasn't a game, it would have been an awesome movie. Try not to read or hear anything about the story because you do not want to be spoiled at all with this one.

Try not to read or hear anything about the story because you do not want to be spoiled at all with this one.

Just curious, how long did it take you to finish it?

I would say 7 or 8 hours.

Buy it, beat it, sell it here or on Ebay and you will only wind up paying $20. Well worth it.

Wow, the next game on my list is God of War 2. You realize that I will be playing PS3 games on purpose two games in a row?

I feel dirty cheating on my 360. I hope it knows this is just a fling. icon_smile.gif