IGNORED

Recent A8 conversions

Wrathchild

OK, I'm asking then for ideas from programmers here as to what might be causing this. What I'd solved was the crash occuring in Atari800WinPLus when the 'Shift' key was pressed, fixed by disabling the interrupt.

With Claim Jumper, the 'Start'key logic doesn't appear to differ from how I've done this in other games.

sub_0_A85C:
;		LDA	#8
;		STA	byte_0_D01F
;		LDA	byte_0_D01F
;		LSR
;		BCC	loc_0_A86D
	; Test for START key
	NOP
	NOP
	NOP
	NOP
	LDA	key
	CMP	#$C
	BEQ	loc_0_A86D
	;
	LDA	#0
	STA	byte_0_6FA
	RTS
loc_0_A86D:
	LDA	byte_0_6FA
	BEQ	loc_0_A873
	RTS
loc_0_A873:
	PLA
	PLA
	LDA	#1
	STA	byte_0_6FA

Okay, tested on my 5200. Chop Suey works fine (Pause/Reset don't do anything but who cares). Really impressed with the animation characteristics of Chop Suey, and music. As with Capture the Flag, not well suited for the 5200's analog stick.

As for Claim Jumper, the Fire-2 crashing is gone! As for the Start button, it literally works seemingly when it wants to. Sometimes I hit Start and I go right in, other times I'm hitting it for 30 seconds continuously. I think this was the same way in your previous version, I am finding now. Perhaps I was lucky before, and didn't notice the problem, chalking it up to lousy 5200 controller keys?

Edited by Greg2600

OK, I'm asking then for ideas from programmers here as to what might be causing this. What I'd solved was the crash occuring in Atari800WinPLus when the 'Shift' key was pressed, fixed by disabling the interrupt.

With Claim Jumper, the 'Start'key logic doesn't appear to differ from how I've done this in other games.

You might make sure the existing code for the game isn't setting SKCTL to 3 anywhere. If it is change it to set SKCTL to a 2.

Thanks for the reports guys, can I just ask the following too for Claim Jumper:

1) Is the odd start key behaviour just seen on the title page, e.g. within the game itself you can restart by pressing start at any time, does that work straight away?

2) Do the Option key replacement (# I think) take you to the game option menus from the title screen straight away or does it too misbehave?

Another conversion, Kid Grid, to be added to the site later today.

Thanks for the reports guys, can I just ask the following too for Claim Jumper:

1) Is the odd start key behaviour just seen on the title page, e.g. within the game itself you can restart by pressing start at any time, does that work straight away?

2) Do the Option key replacement (# I think) take you to the game option menus from the title screen straight away or does it too misbehave?

Another conversion, Kid Grid, to be added to the site later today.

Both don't work at all. The keys work fine on other games so there is definetely something wrong in CJ.

Allan

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for being a stranger to the 5200 board for a while.

Last attempt I had at trying to pinpoint why the 5200 port of Rampage was differing from the A8 one failed to uncover anything, so it has been parked since. As is the way, recent contract roles I've been doing (away from home) seem to keep me busy in the evening too instead of the A8/5200 work I had planned :(.

Therefore when I get back I'll post up the work-in-progress version so you can try it out.

Best wishes,

Mark

Sadly not so easy. The game has had some changes due to the move from PAL to NTSC which could be interfering in terms of less time available to some routines. The other issue is that the move from a RAM based game to ROM could suffer from some hang-overs if I've missed some code that modifies the addresses under the ROM area in the 5200. However I have checked this by also relocating the A8 version and seeing if it writes to the $4000->$C000 and it isn't.

The bug itself that I'm not happy with is that, upon occasions, when a monster jumps from the left or right most building and so goes off that side and reappears and lands on the opposite side, then the animation can get stuck in an endless loop meaning that the monster cannot move.

Last build image attached so you can get an impression of what could be... :)

Regards,

Mark

rampage_ntsc.zip

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

@ Wrathchild Zybex? http://www.atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=843&page=1

32K ROM of A5200 + 16K RAM = 48K total memory (or so I've been told)

If too RAM intensive, no worries.

only way you'll get zybex working on a 5200 is by modifying the a8 loader (that's where the xl/xe bank switch code is)....just going by memory

Shouldn't almost any XL game be convertible and usable on the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart when it comes out? He's adding all kinds of RAM and bank switching and stuff.

The SD cart has 512KB of bank switched RAM, which games can access, but like all bank switched memory the program has to know how to use it. It should make it easier to port games that require more than 16K of RAM, but the games still require disassembly/conversion.

Steve