IGNORED

Recent A8 conversions

Wrathchild

I guess the ROM version would be the best starting point but the Atarimania A8 version for me results in a 12K file that can't be used? Can someone supply a clean cart dump of this?

Scrap that - the zip was 12K with a 16K ROM inside... starting to lose it now I've hit 40! ;)

Edited by Wrathchild

Hi,

Give this a try, this is just a few hours work but looks like it holds up under emulation, let me know if the controls can be improved in any way.

Although its a 16K cart on the A8, it doesn't have any spare space needed for the supporting 5200 code and so I've simply expanded this into a 32K cart for the 5200.

Regards,

Mark

necromancer_v1.zip

Edited by Wrathchild

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, game works great! Guess you'll have to find another convert there Steve ;)

What are the odds right? :-) I did the disk version and he did the cartridge version, so there will be two versions around in case one has a bug.

I think the disk version is much more likely to have a bug in the conversion somewhere, as it had to be moved around in memory in get it working on only 16k.

Steve

This is amazing. Any updates on doing a camstudio on how you do the conversions?

Not yet, finally got around to putting camstudio on my Win7 box that I'm using for most things now. I'm working on another port but its a bit more involved and so haven't been tracking it. Maybe I'll pick one of the existing ones and redo-it piece by piece, or I could find another nice 16K title to do.

Just throwing it out there, but any thoughts on doing Blinky's Scary School?

It was a game that some of my relatives had in England back in the 80s.

Lots of great Zeppelin titles (even their, well Domark's "Star Wars").

Most however are 64K titles and tend to use more than the 16K of RAM, so even after re-positioning the code things are still a bit tricky. I was looking into Zybex but this ended up needing more than 16K to run.

Thanks for the 'thanks' to the others!

Regards,

Mark

This is amazing. Any updates on doing a camstudio on how you do the conversions?

Not yet, finally got around to putting camstudio on my Win7 box that I'm using for most things now. I'm working on another port but its a bit more involved and so haven't been tracking it. Maybe I'll pick one of the existing ones and redo-it piece by piece, or I could find another nice 16K title to do.

Just throwing it out there, but any thoughts on doing Blinky's Scary School?

It was a game that some of my relatives had in England back in the 80s.

Most however are 64K titles and tend to use more than the 16K of RAM, so even after re-positioning the code things are still a bit tricky. I was looking into Zybex but this ended up needing more than 16K to run.

Regards,

Mark

Ah yes, the RAM thing. Should have known. Oh well. Looking forward to the Camstudio of how you do things. I'd love to know how to do it. Maybe someone will see how you're converting them and step up to perhaps write a converter program that would simplify moving A8 games to the 5200. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, I tried to send a PM today but it wouldn't go through saying the error was "Array"?

Regards,

Tezz.

• 4 weeks later...

Update made to the conversions page. :)

Enjoy!

I'm 99% confident that this should run OK now but there is a remote chance the calling of an NMI within an NMI could occur still (caused by an over-running DLI).

Encounter! Cool! Unfortunately, I couldn't get it running with my AtariMax USB card (on a 4-port 5200). Just got a black screen.

Enjoy!

I'm 99% confident that this should run OK now but there is a remote chance the calling of an NMI within an NMI could occur still (caused by an over-running DLI).

Encounter! Cool! Unfortunately, I couldn't get it running with my AtariMax USB card (on a 4-port 5200). Just got a black screen.

It works on mine. Did you set the right cart type?

Allan

Enjoy!

Allan

The AtariMax utility didn't ask for a cart type. I don't think that it asks for one when it's a 32K ROM. Is there a way to force it to a particular type?

So far, I've been able to get just about all the ROM's I've tried to work with the cart, other than BBSB (of course). Some converted games seem to refuse to respond to the Start key, but I do at least get a title screen for them.

Enjoy!

Allan

The AtariMax utility didn't ask for a cart type. I don't think that it asks for one when it's a 32K ROM. Is there a way to force it to a particular type?

So far, I've been able to get just about all the ROM's I've tried to work with the cart, other than BBSB (of course). Some converted games seem to refuse to respond to the Start key, but I do at least get a title screen for them.

Got it working... just tried it in a different slot on the menu. Many thanks for the conversion!