IGNORED

Xbox Live!!!!!!!!!!

Cupcakus

Only 12 days left, and I'm loosing sleep.

What's worse is I picked up Whacked!, which the live beta testers tell me is fantastic to play online with other people, and it has the option built in to play it on live. So for fun I selected XBox live to see what would happen.

It installed the XBox live software... oh man!!! Damnit! :-)

So I set it all up on the network and everything, get it to connect to the Live servers, get all the way through the sign up process and it wants a subscription code. :-)

I, of course knew I couldn't get online without something like this, but the anticipation is killing me... I actually read the license agreement.

Ugh, Atari will be taking a side step while I play with this in 12 days.

:-) I hope to see some of you folks in there :-)

(Goes back to staring at the new XBox Live dashboard option in the main menu)

You'll see me there infrequently under the user name "Velarium". I've had my XBox Live Beta kit for about a month and finally got around to setting it up.

For the record, the Linksys WET11 wireless bridge works fine with the XBox although setting it up from my laptop was not glitch-free.

Whacked was fun, especially with the voice support, so long as no one was using the stupid voice masking option, which doesn't work all that well. It doesn't take too long to get a game together. Funny thing is that the key diagrams in Whacked are for the S controller, so there was a bit of confusing for me getting a game started as host with my standard controllers.

But whacked it pretty funny. Nothing like beating the crap out of a total stranger with a baseball bat, or stapling them to the ground.

Didn't get a chance to try Madden and MotoGP yet.

Oh, one other thing, getting your screen name is going to be like AOL revisited. There are something like 150,000 beta testers, so the good names are already hard to come by. Better start thinking about your screen name now.

Eric

It will probably be really messed up the first few weeks. Has any massive online software ever worked when it first went live?

I think we can fully expect some minor issues in the first few weeks. I hope to get my kit and get signed in before the signup servers get flooded and we start having connection probelms.

As for area's with no broadband yet, with some special tweaking it will work with DirecPC. Something to think about....

I had to do that stupid survey twice too. :-)

I signed up for the beta last March I think, and only got selected now. It's probably just some random software crap they run on their end to pick people.

Plus M$ wants $29.95 to ship the beta kit to you, unless you are obsessed with playing it now like me, you might as well save the extra $ for a live game with the kit in 10 days.

Got it :-)

It arrived at 10:00 AM, so the first thing I wanted to try out was Wacked!, however there were no players online for that game, or at least no games I could find at all. So.... dissapointed I loaded up MotoGP and got in on a 16 player race.

The communicator at that time seemed terrible, There was some kid crashing into the walls and singing little songs and stuff, kind of ruined it. Plus I suck at GP, so I only placed 10th.

Loaded up NFL Fever, which I never played before in my life, lost 6 to 68, with only 3 minute quarters. I actually missed the extra point kick. My opponent never spoke, another dissapointment. I was starting to wonder what everyone was raving about.

So I went back to Wacked! and found a four player game, Everyone was talking, it was tons of fun. Everyone gangs up on the leader, oh man it's hilarious. Especially with the communicator. Finally I had some fun. I played Whacked! all morning, and just played another round of NFL, this time, I still lost of course, but my opponent talked, and we were talkin' **it to each other and everything, very cool stuff.

The communicator works like you'd expect, sounds like a telephone on the other end. Plus too much conversation can lag the game, NFL has huge problems with lag, When a Whacked! level first starts up voice is very laggy, but in about a minute it's all good. You can also hear yourself sometimes echoing back into your headset.

The communicator is also very sensitive, more than it should be, it's right by your mouth for goodness sakes. My son was playing with his toy on the floor, and the other players were complaining about the funny noise. So guess what happens when your TV is too loud? :-) Yep, so a lot of Live players have this strange background flutter that you have to listen too, because the communicator is picking up their TV.

So all in all kickass, I'll see you all in there hopefully.

Gamertag -> Cupkilla