IGNORED

"Your" Top 25 Intellivision Games

Given that we have some new folks who have recently joined the best place on the interwebs to discuss and revel in the awesomeness that is Intellivision, I thought it was time to bump this thread so that the new ones might benefit from our vast collective knowledge. ;)

Enjoy the read, and feel free to add your thoughts once you've had a chance to dive in. :)

Am I allowed to add my list still? I like the updated voting totals...very cool. Nice job guys!

Yeah, give us yours!

The only problem is cvga hasn't been around in a long time to update this list.

There have been sightings recently... :ponder:

You're right, just noticed that myself....:)

Most of mine are early games because that's when I was most involved playing them and it's how I remember the system.

OK here goes...

1. Auto Racing - Great 1 or 2 player game...hours and hours playing this...

2. Sea Battle - Best 2 player only game

3. Astrosmash

4. Burgertime

5. Triple Action (Only Bi-Planes)

6. Tron Deadly Discs

7. Night Stalker

8. B-17 Bomber

9. Atlantis

10. Shark! Shark!

11. Swords and Serpents

12. Boxing

13. Sub Hunt

14. Star Strike

15. Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

16. Utopia

17. Demon Attack

18. MLB Baseball

19. Worm Whomper

20. AD&D - Cloudy Mountain

21. Pitfall!

22. Frog Bog

23. Carnival

24. Skiing

25. PGA Golf

Top 25 and still so difficult to decide...

These are my favorites but in no particular order, otherwise I can't really decide! Besides, there are still some classics I never played yet and still have to test and... "evaluate" ;) so this list is subject to change

Fathom (I believe this was one of the last games I bought for the system when a kid... maybe that's why I still love it so much)

AD&D Cloudy Mountain (the fog of war made me really scared...)

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin

NASL Soccer (the first time I could lead my team to countless, albeit virtual, victories!)

Tennis

Lock'n'Chase (one of the games I played most back in the day)

Burger Time

Shark! Shark!

Utopia (everyone agrees this one is Civ 0.1!)

Safecracker (though I dodn't know anyone saying it, to me this is GTA 0.1!!)

Microsurgeon

Bump'n Jump

Dracula (being the bad guy was never so much fun!)

Tropical Trouble

Dig Dug

Happy Trails

Swords and Serpents (very immersive game. I remember getting to the final dragon with a friend and then asking each other "and now what?? :D )

Frog Bog

Snafu

Mission X (River Raid on steroids!)

Beamrider

Space Battle

Tron Maze a Tron (I always loved the idea of getting into a computer... :roll: )

Bomb Squad

Astrosmash (simplicity perfected)

There's enough to play for a whole lifetime here!

Edited by roberto

1. Tron Deadly Discs:

I don't understand why this isn't everyone's favorite game :) It's also great that this actually required the intv controller to play properly.

2. Space Spartans

The last of the intv games I get serious insatiable cravings for.

It's a space flight sim, it's a strategy game, it's castle defense, it's awesome. Really puts the voicebox to good use.

3. Dreadnaught Factor:

Underrated on all counts.

4. Burgertime

Used to be my favorite as a kid.

5. Astrosmash

The only game my mom liked. She still talks about it sometimes.

6. Bomb Squad

Great memories with this one. The voices crack me up on this game "Up more... DOOOOOWN more!"

7. lock and chase:

I didn't know that this was a pacman clone when I was young, I never liked pacman much, but this game was great

8. Treasures of Tarmin:

The only game that felt d&d-ish on the intv. I'm also surprised many people like cloudy better. When wizardry came out I stopped playing it though.

9. He-Man:

Of course I had the toys when I was young, but this game stands on it's own.

10. Utopia:

Two bad I got no one to play with anymore.

11. Sea Battle:

Ditto

12. Tripple Action:

Biplanes. My brother and I also liked the tank game better than armor battle. The racing game blew chunks.

13. Thunder Castle:

Just picked it up, it's going to see quite a bit of play time.

14. Space Hawk:

I guess 14 is the devide for me between the awesome and the mediocre.

This one is kinda funny.. There seems to be no point, and everything is slow but it's fun anyway.

15. Star Strike:

Great game visually. The game play is only decent.

16. Beamrider:

Another one I never tried until recently. It's a good strong game.

17. Boxing:

I had some good times with this one at my cousin's place who only had sports games.

18. Night Stalker:

Didn't really like this one all that much. I did play it quite a bit though for some reason.

19. Q-bert:

I never really played any other versions. It was not bad at all.

20. Pitfall:

Pretty good, but it hurts my thumb.

21. Truckin:

Another one that I picked up late. A good game, but one of those long ones that won't get played too often.

22. Cloudy Mountain:

I never really got into this one. It seems not bad

23. Snafu:

Or Tron: Cycles. :)

24. Centipede:

A good port of a good game.

25. Space Armada:

Good old arcade game. Nothing original.

There is still quite a few that I haven't tried that I just managed to get a hold of recently so maybe it will change soon :)

• 5 months later...

Necro bump from the depths of the graveyard

However I thought it would be even more lame if I started a new thread

This way the vets can see the old lists and change them if they want, and the noobs and guys who didnt make a list now have a chance

And after playing nothing but my INTV for the past month or so I think im ready to list my top 25

1. Tron Deady Discs (No doubt in my mind that this is my favorite INTV game, I am so addicted to playing it. Getting a shot off and hitting the Recognizer in the whites of the eye has to be one of the hardest things to do for the first time, when I finally got him I was jumping up and down like I was 11 years old and had just beat Super Mario Bros 2 for the first time, what a great feeling!)

2.Masters of the Universe: Power of He-Man (I had all the He-Man action figures as a kid, It was my favorite cartoon, to be able to play this game that was released during the hay-day of He-Man. It could be said thats its a repetitive game, however the difficulty level keeps increasing! This game is awesome and has me on my toes at all times while trying to make my way across the forest or castle to fight Skeletor. I love it)

3. Dracula (same as He-man, Iove it)

4. Bowling (the best Bowling game of all time, I love it, it beats Bowling on Wii Sports, hands down the most realistic when it comes to throwing your ball with hook, I am obsessed with Bowling!)

5 Snafu (this is so high up because my wife likes playing against me, and getting her to like any game besides he beloved Tetris is an amazing feat)

6 Atlantis (blows the 2600 verison out of the water (pun intended) I love Missile Command and this is my MC for the INTV

7. B-17 Bomber (amazing Intellivoice game, I love it! Its just a great game! This is a game that UI would have played to death back in the 80s)

8. Beauty and the Beast (takes what Donley Kong is all about to new heights (pun intended again, sorry im an idiot thats the last one) I can really get into this game and play it for a long time, this is a game I can see myself trying to go for the TG record on because I like it and right off the bat I was kicking ass at it)

9 Demon Attack (amazing game, very addicting gameplay)

10. Astrosmash (like DA very addicting gameplay)

11. Bomb Squad (I love Bomb Squad, me and my daughter play it and she enjoys it as well, in fact I dropped her off for school and said I will be here around !:45 and she said in the Bomb Squad voice, "You'll never do it in time!" I laughed all the way home)

12. Tron Maze-a-Tron (very hard game, and I dont know why i like it this much, but its one of those games that I keep coming back to wanting to learn and master it, any tips on gameplay are welcome)

13. Triple Action (I drive my daughter CRAZY playing against her in Bi-Planes!!!! so much 2 player fun!)

14. Space Spartans (I dont know what it is with Intellivoice games but I love them!)

15. Slam Dunk Super Pro Basketball (if I had this as a kid, my entire neighborhood would have been at my house daily having tournys and trash talking all day long)

16. Super Pro Football (same as Basketball)

17. World Champ Baseball (same as Basketball and Football)

18. Shark! Shark! (my daughters favorite game, she has a high score sheet that she is so proud of, her high score is 4650)

19. Skiing (very fun, I thought it would suck, I was very wrong)

20. Burgertime (perfect arcade port! It plays very smooth!)

21. Night Stalker (the Berzerk for the INTV, another fun game, it’s a little slow for me but still very fun)

22. Lock and Chase (still learning how to play and get good, but I like what I have played so far)

23. Microsurgeon (I loved it at first, but after a while it got pretty boring, its still great, but just not exciting for me)

24. Safecracker (another hard game that im learning to play but like)

25. Frog Bog (an all time classic that I played like crazy on the 2600 (Frogs and Flies) I love it on the INTV and so does my daughter)

Edited by AlvinKarpis

11. Bomb Squad (I love Bomb Squad, me and my daughter play it and she enjoys it as well, in fact I dropped her off for school and said I will be here around !:45 and she said in the Bomb Squad voice, "You'll never do it in time!" I laughed all the way home)

Loved this one. Need more stories like this one for our hobby.

It was so funny, my daughter is very quick and always has a funny or sarcastic comment (for me and mom only! She would never say a sarcastic remark to another adult)

But I couldt stop laughing, because when we play she would listen to what the Intellivoice was saying and then when it started to talk she would talk with it and say what it was saying in the computer voice

I almost think he was witing for the perefect moment to use that one on me

15. Slam Dunk Super Pro Basketball (if I had this as a kid, my entire neighborhood would have been at my house daily having tournys and trash talking all day long)

My friend and i did the tourney's. Especially with NBA Basketball.

Nice choices. I been meaning to update my choices. My list may be a little different than when i made it originally. I'd be putting Thunder Castle in my top 5 for sure.

• 9 months later...

Heh, my list has changed a lot in two-and-a-half years. This is fairly rough, but a reasonable approximation of what I'd say now:

25. Loco-Motion

24. Snafu

23. King of the Mountain

22. Sewer Sam

21. Shark! Shark!

20. White Water

19. Thunder Castle

18. B-17 Bomber

17. PGA Golf

16. Pinball

15. Bump 'n' Jump

14. Mind Strike

13. USCF Chess

12. PBA Bowling

11. Commando

10. Microsurgeon

9. Pitfall

8. D2K Arcade (including/subsuming the original release)

7. Championship Tennis

6. Thin Ice

5. Frog Bog

4. Utopia

3. Stonix

2. Tower of Doom

1. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain

The top 5 is sort of the same, but I burned out on Utopia somewhat, and Stonix is such a tour de force that it deserves a spot in the top five (I don't have Space Patrol, otherwise it might well be up there too). Once you get below the top 15 or so, it gets sort of interchangeable.

Also there are games that might be on there, or (if they're already on there) might be ranked higher, if I'd played them more. King of the Mountain seems terrific but I need to spend more time with it, and several Imagic games are very promising (particularly Swords and Serpents) but have really only gotten one solid gameplay session out of me.

Once again I'm reminded of how the Intellivision has an uncommonly high-quality library, especially the first-party titles. Even the flops are often ambitious and/or interesting.

Yah, I'd definitely be including D2K and likely King of the Mountain if if could stop sucking at it! :-D Also, Thunder Castle would be added to my original list as well. Might need to do a full revision.

@thegoldenband, I promise Space Patrol would be on your list...no ifs, ands, or buts...so good. :thumbsup:

I actually moved Thunder Castle down from its previous position on my list since -- much as I appreciate the game for its presentation and technical achievement -- I enjoy it less than all the games listed above it (except maybe B-17 Bomber and USCF Chess). OTOH, I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun Thin Ice turned out to be; I didn't like it at all at first, but once I got on its wavelength it became a favorite.

Meanwhile AD&D Cloudy Mountain stays at #1 because it's an example of something pretty rare with me: a game I've beaten outright with nothing more to achieve, and yet one I'll pull out and play every now and then. Usually when I beat a game I'm basically done with it, but Cloudy Mountain is just such a pleasure to play.

I'm looking forward very much to the revised/upgraded Space Patrol! I asked Joe Z. if there would be anything in the original that wasn't also in the Super Pro version, but didn't hear back; still, I assume that SPSP will have everything that's in SP, and more.

• 1 year later...

Here is my updated top 25. I still won't be adding any homebrews just because i want to keep my list all OG. But you guys can feel free to do whatever you want. Maybe we could do a different thread one day dedicated just to them.

Numbering these is still tough. Any one of these in my top 5 could be #1 any day of the week. I'm not just judging these on how much i play them now but also how much i played them when i was younger.

1. Burger Time: The game packed in with my Intellivision II. The game i played the most of all the games i owned. I recently bought this again and broke all my old records.

2. Diner: It's the sequel to Burgertime. I like this game way way more now then i did back in the day.

3. Thunder Castle: Awesome music, addicting gameplay. Kind of like if Pac-Man was an Adventure game.

4. Slam Dunk Super Pro Basketball or NBA Basketball: Me and a friend wore these 2 games out. If we wanted more of a NBA feel we would throw in Slam Dunk and if wanted more of a college feel we would play NBA. Slam Dunk was ahead of it's time with being able to draft your own players.

5. AD&D The Treasure of Tarmin: Not only is this a new addition to my top 25 it's going high on the list. This is an amazing dungeon crawler i wish i had played sooner.

6. Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling: A personal favorite of mine since i am such a huge wrestling fan. Also another game way ahead of it's time. Picking your own move set and even the ability to Sim your own matches. This was even better than the Nes wrestling games in my opinion. And i am a fan of those too.

7. Astrosmash: My Avatar should speak for itself. A combination of Asteroids and Space Invaders. I didn't have an Atari so this was the next best thing. I remember playing this for over an hour straight once as a kid.

8. Shark! Shark!: Simple fun game, eat the fish, kill the shark.

9. Beamrider: Another new addition to my top 25 and it's a doozy. I'd easily rank it up there with the best shooters on the system.

10. Beauty & the Beast: A fun Donkey Kong clone. I liked it better than DK because i was actually good at this game. I sucked at DK. I could have fun either trying to break my high score, or getting to the top of the building and falling off on purpose.

11. He-Man: The battle with Skeletor never ends no matter how many times you bomb him.

12. Tron Deadly Discs: It's like a futuristic game of Dodge Ball. I have seen a review lately that said the Atari version, even though has worse graphics plays smoother and faster, that is partially true but the 2600 version is more dull and repetitive plus no Recognizer.

13. Snafu: Maybe one of the most simplistic games ever made and still one of the funnest. I remember having fun just watching the computer play and just seeing who would win. Could be a good betting game like Horse Racing.

14. Night Stalker: I guess this is kind of like Bezerk for the Atari. I don't really have any comments. Just a great game. And can't wait for Super Pro.

15. Super Pro Football: As you can tell i played alot of sports games. Played this a lot with my friend back in the day and been playing it a lot recently.

16. World Chmpionship Baseball: Great Baseball Game and you can play against the computer.

17. Centipede: Not as good as the Atari 2600 version but it was my favorite game in the arcade and this was as close as i could get at home so i loved it.

18. Boxing: I know your gonna say this game sucked but i remember having a lot of fun against my friend playing this.

19. Buzz Bombers: BZZZZ BZZZZ BZZZz Polar Bear BZZZZ BZZZZ BZZZZ

What other game back then had cut scenes besides this and Pac-Man?

20. Demon Attack: Not sure why i left this one out the first time around. What was i thinking? Sorry Lock n Chase, while i have some good memories of Lock when i was a kid, i almost hate the game now.

21. Skiing: I was real good at this as a kid.

22. Frog Bog: Catching Flies is fun.

23. Poker & Blackjack: I may not play this much these days but i played this game so much as a kid. The Intellivision taught me how to play poker. :-D

24: Auto Racing: They did a good job with the illusion that your car was going super fast with the rumbling noise and shaking of the screen.

25: Atlantis: A lot better the 2600 Atlantis. ;)

Games i knocked off the list.

Lock n Chase: I may have liked it as a kid but i also found poop interesting back then. Okay okay i went too far. :lol:

Motocross: The game just hasn't aged well. We did play it a lot back in the day but it eventually got old.

Slap Shot: Hockey was honestly one of the weaker sports titles. But i love the sport and played this a lot back in the day. But it really hasn't aged well either. Not like some of the others.

Locomotion: I just don't play it much anymore and something had to knocked off for Buzz Bombers.

And one honorable mention: Worm Whomper. Another newer game i recently discovered but i just couldn't think of what to knock off the list so it stays off.

I actually read this topic many times as I was getting into Intellivision to get ideas for what games to play. Perhaps I will take it upon myself to assemble all the votes and come up with a combined list the way it is done on the Atari 2600 boards.

To do it, I would go back through the 3 pages of posts and take everyone's top 10. I'd give 10 points to 1st, 9 to 2nd etc. Then we could see which game comes out on top. I think I'd like to wait for the current tournament to end though.

IntellivisionDude,

Glad you finally gave AD&D Tarmin a shot - a GREAT Game ahead of its time. You will also enjoy AD&D Cloudy Mountain and Tower of Doom if you give them a chance - a true trilogy of awesome games in their own ways! I'd like to get my top-25 in - need to pull up a list of the 125 and get pen/paper out - so difficult:-)

• Like 2

I've only considered 'official' titles, since I haven't played many homebrews, but if you include those then D2K is probably very close to the top of this list.

Some excellent titles I couldn't consider because I either haven't owned or played them (Worm Whomper), or won't work on my PAL Inty (Dreadnought Factor, sob).

1. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Treasure of Tarmin

2. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Cloudy Mountain

3. Burger Time

4. Bump 'n' Jump

5. Thunder Castle

6. Thin Ice

7. Tower of Doom

8. Locomotion

9. Happy Trails

10. Beauty and the Beast

11. Major League Baseball

12. Utopia

13. Pitfall!

14. Swords and Serpents (co-op play!)

15. Space Spartans

16. B-17 Bomber

17. Lock 'n' Chase

18. Tron Deadly Discs

19. Shark Shark!

20. Q*Bert

21. Astrosmash

22. Snafu

23. Dracula (again co-op makes this great fun!)

24. Nova Blast

25. White Water

Edited by HunterZero
  • Like 2

And one honorable mention: Worm Whomper. Another newer game i recently discovered but i just couldn't think of what to knock off the list so it stays off.

Ummmm.....you couldn't find anything on that list that's worse than Worm Whomper? Boxing? Er....ok, the rest are pretty good, but I still think you should reconsider :grin:

• Like 1

Ummmm.....you couldn't find anything on that list that's worse than Worm Whomper? Boxing? Er....ok, the rest are pretty good, but I still think you should reconsider :grin:

I'm shocked! SHOCKED!!! that you would say such a thing, Jason! It took you over THREE HOURS to reply to that. Shameful! ;)

EDIT: It's even worse than I thought! You're replying to something ALMOST A DAY OLD!? Here I thought it was in response to HunterZero's list. <shakes head in bewilderment/> :P

Edited by intvsteve

Here is my list, in no particular order (not including homebrews or games released after INTV went under:

1. Spiker SP Volleyball

2. Burgertime

3. Utopia

4. Tutankham (GREAT game, don't see it mentioned much)

5. Beauty & The Beast

6. Chip Shot

7. SP Decathlon ( why haven't I seen this much on other's lists? Great game!)

8. SP Football

9. Popeye

10. Sea Battle

11. ADD Cloudy Mountain

12. Dig Dug

13. Beamrider

14. Slam Dunk

15. Mountain Madness

16. Stampede

17. B-17 Bomber

18. Q Bert

19. Bowling

20. Frogger

21. Pole Position

22. Atlantis

23. Defender (another one I don't see much on the list)

24. Astrosmash

25. Happy Trails