IGNORED

Alien Versus Predator

bloodreptile

I have been looking forward to this game for simply ages. So when I had the chance to get the game a couple of days early I thought yeah!

I loved AVP on the Atari Jaguar (didnt everyone) so the first time another game came out on a system i had I thought Yeah baby yeah (to quote Gene Simmons).

The story is excellent, gripping and keeps you guessing throughout. Its set on an alien planet that looks like the original planed LV 426, then changes to and AVP2 location ending up with and AVP one location. Its a good way of linking the games to the movies. I have beat the Marine game on easy but am stuck on the Alien game. When a game is this good you just do not want it to end.

The game is split into three Marine Alien and Predator. Then there are various multiplayer modes. The guns that the marine gets are great. All the one from the original game are there. Also in parts it feels a lot like the superb Alien Trilogy game I had on my Saturn/PS1.

Graphics and sound.

Superb throughout. The game is quite dark but you still get to see an impressive array of futuristic bulings. The textures on the buildings are awesome and the skyy is menacing too. Also I really liked the water effects but hey thats me. I remember just being amazed at the water effects in Gears of War2. The sound is creepy as you would expect in what is essentially a first person survival horror game. It also has event music so you know when the bad dudes are out to get you. Other times you think you hear something and its nothing. Then you think you hear something nd is a huge bigass Alien looks for blood your blood to be exact. That when you need to say "lets rock" otherwise its "game over man".

I really like this game but the multiplayer is very hard or maybe that should read i am useless at it.

Who ever wins we lose. Pick a side.

Edited by bloodreptile

I'm so looking forward to this game. I was at walmart a day or two ago,and they didn't have it yet though :(

I'll have to get it, I like FPS in general, and being able to play an alien again would be cool...

Hey, do you lay eggs on people in this one like the Jag game? (probably not, but that would be kinda cool)

I'm so looking forward to this game. I was at walmart a day or two ago,and they didn't have it yet though :(

I'll have to get it, I like FPS in general, and being able to play an alien again would be cool...

Hey, do you lay eggs on people in this one like the Jag game? (probably not, but that would be kinda cool)

You can grab civilians to "harvest" them by basically holding them still while a facehugger latches onto their face. I'm hoping they release single player content, like an expansion pack. I like the one multiplayer map that is modeled after the first AVP movie that changes. A Predator survival mode (Call it tribal hunt or whatever) would be great in a map like that. I was kind of bummed how the Alien campaign was the shortest and how the Predator's tutorial counted as a "level" (cheap I think), but I really love the game. The Predator's combat is WAY better compared the the PC versions. Having your wrist blades always available is wonderful. Kind of wish you could use the combi-stick instead of just throwing it and have the Alien vision mode sooner (though I get what they were going for). I've been playing online on PSN and having a blast, though I like the maps for the original on PC better just because they are darker and more Alien friendly for sneaking around. Mixed Species Deathmatch is my favorite so far. It's cool watching a Predator's back while they get a trophy kill. Infestation is my second favorite mode and Predator Hunt (or whatever it's called) is a close third. Whenever I'm the Predator, I always seem to be around a marine that has a smartgun or something. The campaigns aren't long as most know, but they are fun enough to keep going back to. I haven't really ran into a part that irked me honestly. I like the aliens in the Marine campaign a lot more than in previous games. They actually STALK you for the most part, moving slow until they are around you. Oh yeah, survivor is a blast too with others online. I'm hoping those promo codes for the Hunter Edition work sooner than the 24th or whatever they said.

And I forgot to mention that the "bosses" have an old school feel to them, as well as most of the game, which I find refreshing. I wish there was a splitscreen mode too.

Edited by xenomorpher

Game Mags and sites just rag on stuff cause they think that's what sells their mags. Eh, or maybe because it's the whole "oh, you con't play very long" thing, which is true of any FPS (usually) but even more so if you only play the marine, or predator or alien, and ignore the other characters.

• 6 months later...

I bought this on the day pf release and have been playing it every week, almost every day since. I'm still unlocking new skins and advancing in rank so it still has re-play value for me. The only frustrations for me are the sometimes long period it takes to find a multiplayer game to join and the sometimes dodgy detection in terms of slow or no reactions to the buttons you are pressing. The 'grab' facility when upclose to someone doesn't always work for me eithe r so I rarely do a 'finishing' move on an enemy.

I have the PS3 version and it suffers from the same thing a decent chunk of the time. I'm not sure if it's my internet connection though. There are times where it's "right on" and I do pretty darn well like killing Predators six times in a row without dying as the alien. I've heard Sega won't release any more patches for consoles that tweaked the PC's version multiplayer. That really made me mad. I hope the next one is done by a different team. I like Rebellion and all for what they've done in the past, but they cut corners with this and never went the extra mile. I don't know, maybe the next one they make will be since they've got things working well with the engine. The lack of single player levels and unlockables irked me. Anyways the newest map pack looked pretty cool. Too bad no one on the PS3 will really buy it. I love the environmental hazard in the one.