IGNORED

Converting TT-High to a standard monitor

crash

Does anyone know how to covert the TT-High video output signal so it can be displayed on a standard VGA monitor? I can't seem to find specifications on the TTM195 or Moniterm Viking 2/91 nor the TT-Video output, but was led to believe that it was possible with some additional hardware. My last TT-High monitor is dead.

Thanks

Does anyone know how to covert the TT-High video output signal so it can be displayed on a standard VGA monitor? I can't seem to find specifications on the TTM195 or Moniterm Viking 2/91 nor the TT-Video output, but was led to believe that it was possible with some additional hardware. My last TT-High monitor is dead.

Thanks

i thought the TT had a standard VGA output?

Yes, althought the TT-High resolution (1280x960) can only be used on the special monochrome monitors, of which both of mine happened to fail today. With a standard VGA monitor, only up to 640x480 can be used. I did manage to find some fragments of discussions about adapting the TT's ECL video output to a standard monitor, but no conclusions.

Edited by crash

ah... i thought it was dependent on the monitor, not on the TT output. what you would need would be a multiscan monitor if i´m not mistaken...

Also, you should try and get your monitors fixed. Old monitors were built to last and usually when they stop working, it´s one of the cheap components inside like a fuse...

i recently had an old CRT fixed that would not turn on and the guy was throwing it to the garbage. solution, new fuse and relay, total cost to fix, 15$ (and most of it to the guy who fixed it!)

Edited by anzac

With the Atari ST computers, it is true that a certain type of multiscan monitor was capable of syncing with all three of the ST resolutions, normally requiring two separate monitors. The TT continued the dual monitor design, offering a special 19 inch monochrome monitor with TT-High (1280x960*2) or a color VGA model with TT-Medium (640x480*16) and TT-Low (320*480*256). The TT-High resolution is only possible on the special ECL type of monochrome monitor, and the TT apparently switches modes from VGA to ECL when it detects a certain pin on the monitor cable is connected, much like the ST does when color or mono monitors are attached. Unfortunately it does not seem that even modern VGA monitors can be adapted to display the ECL signals.

There was some discussion into the idea of making a converter to display the TT-High mode on a VGA monitor, but it seems that it was more difficult to achieve than originally suspected.

I'm looking into whether there is someone that may be willing to try and repair these, but both of them had power related issues that would re-occur if it were just a fuse or capacitor. That is to say, what finally popped might not be the cause of the problems and the symptoms pointed to bad transformers as well as anything related to power regulation. There are not a lot of good service options in my area, as evidenced by the fact that I have to send Atari computers to Europe to get repaired.

Cheers

• 13 years later...

Very old thread but I am adding this link as it seems to be a solution to the problem discussed here. At this time I have no idea if the solution described at this link is still available or not.  If anyone knows please share. 

Quoted from the link:

TenoxVGA ECL to VGA Adapter (ECL2VGA)

tenox01.png

TenoxVGA is an adapter that lets you use a standard LCD flat panel or a CRT monitor with Atari TT built-in video card in TT-HIGH mode (1280x960). You can think of it as TTM194 or TTM195 monitor replacement or ECL to VGA video signal converter.

https://www.legacypixels.com/atari/index.html

On 4/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, 800_Rocks said:

Very old thread but I am adding this link as it seems to be a solution to the problem discussed here. At this time I have no idea if the solution described at this link is still available or not.  If anyone knows please share. 

Quoted from the link:

TenoxVGA ECL to VGA Adapter (ECL2VGA)

tenox01.png

TenoxVGA is an adapter that lets you use a standard LCD flat panel or a CRT monitor with Atari TT built-in video card in TT-HIGH mode (1280x960). You can think of it as TTM194 or TTM195 monitor replacement or ECL to VGA video signal converter.

https://www.legacypixels.com/atari/index.html

Legacy Pixels is me, and I do still have these available

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:05 PM, Forrest said:

Does the TenoxVGA adapter also work with the Viking Moniterm board installed in a Mega ST computer?

It does not, the input to the adapter is specific to the TT030 VGA port pinout. I have been looking at a version for older Mac and Sun ECL outputs.