IGNORED

Got my Atari Flashback 2+

Has anyone else noticed that the console on the shirt is a 4-banger with the Color/B&W switch set to B&W? I did. No biggie, but it's there.

Well, the shirt is printed in black and white, so I guess that makes sense.

That is exactly what I was going to say until I'd saw mine set on color.

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

No, it didn't... with only 15,000 units in the initial run, they wouldn't spring for a new chip die, so my rev update is sitting and collecting dust :-(

Curt

Only 15,000? Man, I thought the Flashback 2 did a lot better than that. Seemed to be all the buzz when it was being sold.

As for the Harmony mod, I have an original flashback2 I might do that to. Does it basically just go straight to the Harmony cart, ignoring all other built in games?

• Like 1

You know, now that I look at mine again, it almost looks as if the TV switch is broken or stuck somewhere in the middle:

fb2plusshirt.jpg

The artist must have based the drawing on a system sold on eBay.

• Like 1

If you set it up that way... Basically, most installations put it on a switch. One way = Flashback code, other way = cart.

No, it didn't... with only 15,000 units in the initial run, they wouldn't spring for a new chip die, so my rev update is sitting and collecting dust :-(

Curt

Only 15,000? Man, I thought the Flashback 2 did a lot better than that. Seemed to be all the buzz when it was being sold.

As for the Harmony mod, I have an original flashback2 I might do that to. Does it basically just go straight to the Harmony cart, ignoring all other built in games?

You know, now that I look at mine again, it almost looks as if the TV switch is broken or stuck somewhere in the middle:

post-3819-126740373371_thumb.jpg

:lol: that doesn't bother me to much....but it is funny that the left controller has the cord come out the top (proper) and the right controller has the cord come out the right side :P (I know, it's for symmetry, but still :P )

• Like 1

post-3819-126740373371_thumb.jpg

:lol: that doesn't bother me to much....but it is funny that the left controller has the cord come out the top (proper) and the right controller has the cord come out the right side :P (I know, it's for symmetry, but still :P )

Speaking of cords, anybody else notice that the actual Atari Flashback 2+ audio/video cable is longer than its predecessor, so you now have more slack!

:cool:

Signed,

Rick

So I got two sets of paddle controllers today that I bought via buy.com. The first pair is a clone of the old 2600 controllers, i.e. two paddles on one port. They're ok, but they don't seem to have the same "feel" or "heft" like the 2600 controllers I remember. They really do feel like 'cheap knock-off'. They play alright though. But the other thing I got, just to try, was a pair of the Sears controllers. Wow, cool! I had no idea about these things - you can use them as a joystick OR paddle, but the 'fire' control is pushing the controller to the right when used as a paddle. Great heft, very precise. The only thing that's odd is in Warlords - because you have to push the controller to the right to work as a button, it's not so easy catching and releasing the fireball. Breakout and Circus Atari play just great though!

• Like 1

Can you post a link to the first one....

Regarding the 2nd one - sounds like an easy hack to add a switch to basically map the "push right" to the button as well when switch is flipped.

So I got two sets of paddle controllers today that I bought via buy.com. The first pair is a clone of the old 2600 controllers, i.e. two paddles on one port. They're ok, but they don't seem to have the same "feel" or "heft" like the 2600 controllers I remember. They really do feel like 'cheap knock-off'. They play alright though. But the other thing I got, just to try, was a pair of the Sears controllers. Wow, cool! I had no idea about these things - you can use them as a joystick OR paddle, but the 'fire' control is pushing the controller to the right when used as a paddle. Great heft, very precise. The only thing that's odd is in Warlords - because you have to push the controller to the right to work as a button, it's not so easy catching and releasing the fireball. Breakout and Circus Atari play just great though!

• Like 1

Can you post a link to the first one....

Regarding the 2nd one - sounds like an easy hack to add a switch to basically map the "push right" to the button as well when switch is flipped.

Maybe, but I'm not that great at fiddling with electronics. That was (is) my dad's domain. We built a synthesized voice module and did the Antic Sample Processor for my 800xl back in the day. But I digress.

Buy.com is currently listing the "knockoff" paddle controllers as out of stock. If you type "atari 2600 paddles" in google and click on shopping (or use the search engine of your choice), you should be able to come up with a pair of genuine ones on eBay or somewhere. I just didn't feel like dealing with someone's used pair of paddles.

The Sears controllers are still in stock on buy.com at:

http://www.buy.com/p.../211447467.html

Oh one thing I forgot to add: There are notches on the end of the Sears controller plugs that have to be cut/shaven off with a knife in order for the controller to plug into a regular, flat Atari joystick port, like the ones on the FB2+.

Edited by JohnBuell
  • Like 1

Were the first ones coleco gemini paddles? I have a pair of those, but they turn more stiffly. Worked well enough though,. Prefer the Atari originals.

I didn't like the sears arcade II controller as a paddle. More prone to jitter compared to regular paddles. Also a smaller knob... didn't feel like I had the same precision.

• Like 1

Were the first ones coleco gemini paddles? I have a pair of those, but they turn more stiffly. Worked well enough though,. Prefer the Atari originals.

I didn't like the sears arcade II controller as a paddle. More prone to jitter compared to regular paddles. Also a smaller knob... didn't feel like I had the same precision.

I have no idea - they didn't come in a box, and they just say 'Paddle' on top and 'Made in China' on the bottom.

• Like 1

Well, we will see if I get a FB2+. I found a cached version of the FB2+ order page and Atari accepted my order for one. We'll see if I get billed or if I'll get an email from Atari stating it's no longer available. Was worth a try!! LOL

Can ya post a link to the cached page or PM?

• Like 1

Cached Google Page for Flashback 2+ Atari Preorder

No telling how long the cached page will last though.

EDIT!!!!!!! The original preorder link is now the order page for the Flashback 2+. It is NOW currently available on the Atari Website.

Well, we will see if I get a FB2+. I found a cached version of the FB2+ order page and Atari accepted my order for one. We'll see if I get billed or if I'll get an email from Atari stating it's no longer available. Was worth a try!! LOL

Can ya post a link to the cached page or PM?

Edited by Guitarman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a FB2+, I got it weeks ago. And I just got the paddles. They work in the following games:

Warlords

Circus Atari

Super Breakout

Arcade Pong

The first three are games you unlock with a special code with the joystick.

Code:

UP:1

DOWN:9

UP:7

DOWN:2

Pretty cool you know. icon_smile.gif

I just ordered one thru their website but make sure you use the cheapest shipping amount.

Well I actually ordered a Atari USB joystick not the console, my error.

I am still waiting for it but I am sure I will get it soon

They're great, work on any computer-- if not, check your computer's settings. I still have yet to do an electronic hack to mine.

• Like 1

Toan,

If you modify the video touchpad and replace the resistors you will be able to get Star Raiders running correctly, Toan will be one of the only ones to have a Flashback 2 with Star Raiders built in...

Curt

I got my case last Wed. They sent all 4 in a master carton.

post-7833-126931241736_thumb.jpg

I also got another FB+ the prior week. Here's the box.post-7833-126931251015_thumb.jpg

Here's the unboxing.post-7833-126931252196_thumb.jpg

Here's the front. I like the hand made + post-7833-12693125539_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Toan,

If you modify the video touchpad and replace the resistors you will be able to get Star Raiders running correctly, Toan will be one of the only ones to have a Flashback 2 with Star Raiders built in...

Curt

I would need to pick up a Star Raiders touchpad. I assume it 380 Ohm resistors from this post.