IGNORED

Berzerk V.E. doesn't work with the Harmony Cart?

Underball

CAn't get this one to load up. Tried every single bankswitching extension on the file name. no dice.

Am I missing something? I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this.

It appears to be a programming error. I know the problem and could hack the binary, but I suppose it's possible that the author intentionally wrote the game this way in deliberately to prevent unauthorized reproductions (it looks like an error though.)

I suppose I'd be willing to fix the binary if the author said it was OK and the error wasn't intentional, or if whoever produced the original run of Berzerk VE carts can say that the binary on AA is the same as on the carts, error and all (and frankly I'm surprised these carts work reliably if this is the case.)

Regardless, we'll make sure the existing binary works with the next BIOS update.

I doubt it was intentional for piracy reasons. It's free to download right from the AA hacks database.

Thanks for looking at it.

What I was implying is there could be two versions. One that was sold in cart form and one that is intentionally modified so it only works on emulators and possibly flash carts but does not work reliably in cart form to discourage others from selling it without permission or royalties. While I doubt that's the case, I would like to know before fixing it.

Agh. Didn't know that was possible.

I do know that the current on on AA did work in the CC2.

I don't think I should fix this binary without express written permission from the author.

However, Harmony is capable of running this binary, and we will take care of it in the next BIOS update.

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is the problem? I am interested in reproducing it in my game in order to create a "harmony/emulator" only game. Is it easy to reproduce or will it require slot of effort?

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

The problem is the startup bank in the Harmony and emulators is currently fixed while with EPROM boards it's probably random. Writing a game that only starts in a particular bank is not a good idea as it won't completely prevent it from running on EPROM boards, and as emulators and Harmony firmware are changed, it might not work on them at all.

A bankswitching scheme can certainly be created for both Harmony and emulators (and probably will) that cannot run on anything else, including Kroko, CC or CC2. I don't see much reason to purposely exclude other flashcarts unless your game uses features that only Harmony can support.

So, I'd say the best way to exclude most EPROM boards is to use a bankswitching type that they don't support. For example, anything with RAM, or obscure schemes like UA, 3F, FE, E0 and others.

I don't mind if people play my game on flash carts(krokcart,Cuddle Cart, Harmony etc.) or emulators(Stella, z26 etc.), that's fine. I just don't want people to make money off my game since it is an open source effort and therefore selling it is against the license.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze