IGNORED

Pal / NTSC Differences

snicklin

Would have been nice if Antic just had a bitsetting... there's probably no internal difference between Pal/NSTC Antic other than a few constants relating to vertical timing.

And with a good modern TV, it should easily tolerate the resultant timing difference thanks to the slightly slower Pal system clock.

I've read that Amigas do that too. I do know that an awful lot of TVs will display it.

Amigas with ECS/AGA Agnus can switch between 50 and 60 Hz. But that has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC since PAL/NTSC are color encoding schemes which (most) Amigas do not output. Amigas video is analog RGB and not PAL or NTSC. Older Amigas with OCS Agnus (8371) cannot switch between 50/60 Hz.

Edited by Lazarus

ST can also do 50/60 switch, C= Plus/4 the same. Although I believe the Amiga and Plus/4 retain the same cycles per scanline and the system clocks are slightly different between systems, like the A8.

I would guess that any TV that happily displays 50/60 refresh rates would probably be fine with the slightly off-spec horizontal frequency. And, all systems mentioned still use the native encoding... not sure about inside the US, but the rest of us tend to call NTSC by NTSC 3.59 or NTSC 4.3 depending on whether it uses it's native, or PAL type encoding.