IGNORED

New Vectrex Owner :D

DaytonaUSA

I'll be getting my Vectrex in soon. I finally was able to get one, and in great condition :D. I also got one of the Sean Kelly multi carts. The thought of playing Lunar Lander (they call it Moon Lander) on a vector system is making me extremely giddy.

Anywho, thought I'd share. I've wanted one of these forever, but I either find systems in horrible condition or lose in auctions on eBay.

Here's a picture. There's some scratches on the top but that's it. The controller is in great shape. I'll be sure to post pics once it comes in:

Vectrex.jpg

A very cool system. I've been thinking of buying one but the going rate on ePay seems kind of high these days....

I got the multi cart that has the retail games and a ton of homebrew ones for 124. The system I got by contacting the guy at the beginning of the auction that was just put up tonight. Before anyone was able to bid, I got him to agree to sell it for 120 shipped, which I thought was a great deal considering what they're going for on the bay, as you noticed. One sold tonight for $350 with a few games and a lightpen. Others are well over 150 with barely anything that comes with the system at all. Basically common 9 dollar games.

I've found if you're persistent in checking for new listings and contacting the sellers you can get one eventually that's in good condition without having to wait through a lengthy auction that you'll probably lose.

Funny thing is, I was looking at them on eBay maybe a couple of years ago, and you could find a vanilla Vectrex with a working controller for maybe $80 plus shipping.

Yea I know. I remember seeing one in not so great condition, but still fully functional for 60 a couple years ago. I think people are just starting to understand their greatness and their worth is climbing with demand. I'm kinda glad I was able to get one. There's not a single auction out there for a system that isn't jumped on with bids after 30 minutes or less.

Such a fun system. You just can not emulate this with the vector graphics! There is another thread with homebrew lightpens you should grab one.

Yep, I'm ordering one :). I'm not really sure how that art/animation program works, but I'm hoping it's at least sort of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it in the mail! I love it!

I know it sounds silly, but this is so much more fun than other classic systems I've played. Having access to the multicart is a blessing and playing games like Frogger on the system just feels right.

I have a few questions. Is it normal for the lines sometimes to have a slight wabble to them.. not drastic. When I first got it, it WAS drastic, after it warmed up though it all but went away and is fine every time I boot it up. Also, I have one dot in the center that's white.. one small dot that's on the horizontal line of the horizon of Pole Position so you can't see it. It's not bright, it's fairly dim. It seems to be exactly the center of the screen. Is that normal?

Either way the controller is amazing. It's SO comfortable to hold! I'm in love with it and I am only ashamed because I've waited to long to own this great system.

One of the things you're going to want to do is to get yourself an Atari 2600 driving controller.

Yep, not a paddle, but a Driving controller.

And then get Spinnerama and Tsunami.. :-)

desiv

p.s. I'm not seeing Christopher Tumber's (Author of above) web page anymore, but he was (is) a member here...

I have a few questions. Is it normal for the lines sometimes to have a slight wabble to them.. not drastic. When I first got it, it WAS drastic, after it warmed up though it all but went away and is fine every time I boot it up. Also, I have one dot in the center that's white.. one small dot that's on the horizontal line of the horizon of Pole Position so you can't see it. It's not bright, it's fairly dim. It seems to be exactly the center of the screen. Is that normal?

Turn the contrast down .. knob in back .. wobble is part of the effect of the design .. as well as the Vectrex buzz sound.