IGNORED

Harmony Cart Issues - Tight Fit

vb_master

I received my Harmony cart about a month ago and only just recently got around to trying it out. It is actually impossible to insert it into any of my three Atari systems like a normal cart. I looked at it and found that the circuit board was actually skewed and not perfectly in line with the small slot that the cover provides for the PCB. I have to use a screwdriver to pop open the spring-loaded cover and push it over the PCB so it's held by friction, then carefully insert it into my Atari system.

Taking a closer look at the SD and USB hole revealed that the entire board was skewed slightly to one side - further evidence of my problem.

I don't want to ruin the label and take it apart to see why exactly this is happened to the cartridge - I read that batari tests the carts personally before sending them, so perhaps the post office beat up my package and forced the PCB out of alignment?

Any help or ideas from the Harmony team on this one? Should I take some pictures?

I'll send you a replacement. The problem, I believe, is that the board popped down on one side where it fits into the case. The shells are not all alike and some are more prone to this than others.

You might still be able to snap it back into place or at least get it inserted though. Insert a USB cable and use that as leverage to gently try to move the board while inserting. If nothing else, you will be able to use your cart while waiting for a replacement.

The problem, I believe, is that the board popped down on one side where it fits into the case.

Took a quick picture of the skewed board, see attachments.

I took your suggestion and pried on SD and MiniB connectors carefully and reduced the amount the edge of the connector sticks against the spring-loaded cart slot, however, I have to force it in to my Atari's cart slot and honestly it feels like it's going to damage either the Atari or the PCB eventually as the edge of the board hangs against the spring-loaded cart door.

Would you like me to PM you my Google Transaction number in exchange for the return address if you feel that replacement is still the solution?

Thanks.

post-3809-126747575566_thumb.jpg

The problem, I believe, is that the board popped down on one side where it fits into the case.

Took a quick picture of the skewed board, see attachments.

I took your suggestion and pried on SD and MiniB connectors carefully and reduced the amount the edge of the connector sticks against the spring-loaded cart slot, however, I have to force it in to my Atari's cart slot and honestly it feels like it's going to damage either the Atari or the PCB eventually as the edge of the board hangs against the spring-loaded cart door.

Would you like me to PM you my Google Transaction number in exchange for the return address if you feel that replacement is still the solution?

Thanks.

I thought I'd mention that Harmony is composed of two boards, and some carts have angled daughterboards as shown in your picture simply because of how they happened to fit together. That alone is not a cause for concern if the cart otherwise fits normally into a console. If the main board is angled (as you say it is) then this does need correction.

If the main board is angled
I didn't know it had two boards in it, thanks for that clarification. I took your suggestion of gently prying the board into place and it worked well. The cart works better now and it's possible to insert into my systems without pre-forcing the spring-loaded door open.

In other words, the main board is aligned well now; the SD/MiniB daughterboard being that much off was worrying me the most!

Thanks for your help, I don't need a replacement now ;) .

Edited by vb_master

• 4 months later...

i just got my harmony today and read this thread before i even got to try it

i saw the pic and knew that mine was exactly the same

manipulating the chip by using my thumbnail in the SD card slot straightens it out. otherwise its not just a tight fit -- it refuses to seat at all. ironically (or not) when i do get it in, it seats VERY well -- likely as carts seated in 1982 when they were brand new

crude, yet effective