IGNORED

[SOLD] IBM Model M Keyboard

BigO

IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard.

Mfd: 12MAY87

Worked when I took it off my wife's machine to get rid of the noise.

$20.00 + shipping (from 85022)

(The keyboard itself weighs about 5.5 lbs so probably 7 or 8 lbs shipping weight)

If anyone's interested, I'll provide pictures. Will double check functionality before shipping.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

That's a great deal on an awesome keyboard. If I didn't already have a mint one, I'd surely snag this up! Never have I seen a nicer keyboard and the thing is built like a tank. Wouldn't want to have one fall on 'ya! lol

Good luck with the sale. Can't imagine this lasting long. Can't get mine to work, even with a PS2/USB adapter on my Mac :( Works great with my Amiga's though.

Edited by save2600

That's a great deal on an awesome keyboard. If I didn't already have a mint one, I'd surely snag this up! Never have I seen a nicer keyboard and the thing is built like a tank. Wouldn't want to have one fall on 'ya! lol

Good luck with the sale. Can't imagine this lasting long. Can't get mine to work, even with a PS2/USB adapter on my Mac :( Works great with my Amiga's though.

They need a special adapter because they draw more power than most USB ports can handle. Here's some info:

My link

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpful link.

From the linked site:

Question: Why is it so hard to find an USB adapter that will make a vintage IBM keyboard interface with a modern Intel motherboard.

Answer: Online reports indicate that vintage IBM ps/2 keyboards pull up to 100x more current compared to modern keyboards (112 mA vs 1.2 mA). see reference: (http://www.geocities...board/index.htm). One way to resolve this problem to add resistors to change the voltage, or an easier non-destructive fix is to use an active ps/2 to USB plug-in converter with built-in electronics.

I wonder how this device compensates for the higher current draw. I don't see an external power supply attached. If that's the problem, would a high power port (capable of 500mA) run one with a simple adapter?

I always thought the keyboard itself needed to be able to detect connection to USB port and communicate accordingly. This is also addressed by info on the handy-dandy link:

[...] The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passiveADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. Simple ps/2 to USB adapters do not use specific software drivers.

In general, most users having trouble connecting their keyboard to newer computers are looking for a ps/2 to USB signal CONVERTER. These devices use an integrated circuit (pre-programmed chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal.

This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys).

Edited by BigO

OK, I have trouble figuring out why this won't sell. It's an awesome keyboard at a great price and people love these things. They are worth trying at least once--I was stupid and sold the one I had along with the computer it was with sometime in the early 90s I think. I have been looking for one cheap for years at thrift stores but at this moment in time I am more in selling mode because I just have too much stuff. So getting this keyboard is really not an option for me right now. BigO has gone out of his way to try to make it doable for me because he is an awesome seller and with all that said if no one buys this keyboard for this insanely good price soon I am going to buy it myself, probably risking a divorce, and may even be forced into the dreaded reseller role. So, yeah. Also I need some coffee.

Just a quick follow up and shout out for J.Max's keyboard adapter. Received mine yesterday and gave her a go on my iMac today. First time ever using this Model M keyboard on my Mac! For anyone looking to purchase BigO's keyboard and needs PS2<>USB compatibility, can't go wrong with this combo. Thanks again!

Just a quick follow up and shout out for J.Max's keyboard adapter. Received mine yesterday and gave her a go on my iMac today. First time ever using this Model M keyboard on my Mac! For anyone looking to purchase BigO's keyboard and needs PS2<>USB compatibility, can't go wrong with this combo. Thanks again!

How does it map CTRL, OPTION and COMMAND?

How does it map CTRL, OPTION and COMMAND?

What's incredibly queer is that OSX doesn't allow for much flexibility when it comes to remapping keys, but naturally - there are apps to do this. I am using Double Command, a free app I found off the 'Net that thankfully allows this.