IGNORED

Manic Miner Port?

Heaven/TQA

• I think it will never be released because its fake
What the fuck are you talking about?

Do you know Tezz from where? He is one of the most talented coder and lover of the A8 machines.

I invite you to find here and on other Atari sites his posts and work.

He also has an YouTube channel called AtariTezz.

And why no one here entered and answer to this gentleman?

P.s.- What he had there on ManicMiner it's the use of the A8 resources and his hard work together with his great passion for our beloved A8 (at least some of us!...).

Does he have to proof anything to certain people and have to post a w.i.p. file to some believe its true existance? Don't think soo!

Lets be careful, I half suspect that the post was designed to provoke a reaction.

On another note, hey, we've waited 30 or so years for a release, a couple more here or there is nothing.

Yes, that user is a troll. That is his only active post and he joined in 2009. Definitely a troll account. It is best just to ignore him. :roll:

• 6 months later...

And yet there's still nothing made public for so many months :(

Please remember that anybody coding Atari 8-bit games is doing so in whatever spare time they can muster so, "real life" being what it is, there will always be these gaps in development.

• Like 5

I DO remember that and I don't mean any harm to the author. I know that it's often wishful thinking of others to finally be able to play such great game conversion.

But since it was already mentioned few times that the game is almost ready, it's worrying that it's still not public. Hopefully Tezz is okay in his private life and will be able to deploy MM in a proper moment.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

As TMR said, real life tends to get in the way, but the game is nearly there from what I've seen. Though quite honestly I'm not the best at the game and so didn't get too far.

The engine looked good though and seemed to do what it should on the early levels.

Actually, the best proof of something being almost available is:

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Yes the project has been left in this virtually finished state untouched for a long time now. My plan has been to complete Chimera+ first with MM then next on the list. It's just a hobby but I didn't intend to let the projects get this drawn out though so appologies to anyone who's waiting for it. I've been working a lot in the free time I've had on rewriting Chimera+ which I'm just wrapping up now.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can't say I was ever a fan of the original. But I would like to see a platform game that will show what is possible on this hardware - and take the platform game to the next level?

I could envision some kind of Super Mario World like game - perhaps done in the same kind of style/format of AtariBLAST! - but it would be some kind of huge project looking for a programmer ... and it would involve some length of time of up to 3? years or less. I would not be keen on designing all the graphics for it - but would do some levels - if I can deliver what is required. Or I may fall flat on my face in so trying.

I'm not so keen on seeing straight ports of various games (depends on what it is, of course) - but I can appreciate how it would be a quick? process as such.

Of course, I know that it's always up to the person what they'll work on and why, etc.

My own reason for wanting to work on A8 project these days - is that I appreciate it is now 2015 (and counting) - and I don't really like to see new projects looking like they were done twenty five or something years ago - but rather to push this ole hardware as much as it can go?

I guess this means trying to deliver something that Crownland fell short on - the playability side - whereas it's graphics were of a very high standard.

Harvey

• Like 1

I could envision some kind of Super Mario World like game - perhaps done in the same kind of style/format of AtariBLAST! - but it would be some kind of huge project looking for a programmer ... and it would involve some length of time of up to 3? years or less. I would not be keen on designing all the graphics for it - but would do some levels - if I can deliver what is required. Or I may fall flat on my face in so trying.

I'm not so keen on seeing straight ports of various games (depends on what it is, of course) - but I can appreciate how it would be a quick? process as such.

...My own reason for wanting to work on A8 project these days - is that I appreciate it is now 2015 (and counting) - and I don't really like to see new projects looking like they were done twenty five or something years ago - but rather to push this ole hardware as much as it can go?

I'm all for porting existing games if they are easy to convert and porting doesn't take too much time.

On the other hand making new games instead of redoing decade old games sounds like it can produce much better results.

Lack of time makes me think that making kind of game-maker or at least editors for a game content sounds better than 'coder builds all'.

Make engine, graphics routines, scripting language, graphics and map editors and let community make what they like.

Something like AGD on ZX Spectrum could produce dozens of games like Manic Miner in no time if we had it on Atari :)

I would say this game is pushing the limits quite a bit. What other game is there on the 8-bits that uses so many colors in hi-res mode?

Maybe it does have couple shades more than others, but imho Spectrum is the king of 8-bit hires games...
  • Like 1

Maybe it does have couple shades more than others, but imho Spectrum is the king of 8-bit hires games...

When I said "8-bits" I meant the Atari 8-bits. So I was just saying "What other game is there on the Atari 8-bits that uses so many colors in hi-res mode?".

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

While it is a hi-res mode - and it has colours. The drawback seems to be it's only 2 shades as such within the character or tile.

I looked at the Super Mario Bros 3 demo - and see there is the nice use of colour there - but if players are used to achieve this, then software sprites would have to be used for enemies.

But if you stuck with only 4 colours instead, then you would have the players hardware available for the enemies?

I like to see a platform game using 2 fire buttons (such as the Genesis joypad) - for running, jumping and shooting. You could have a default system of the one fire button - which would be clumsier to use - but go for the Genesis joypad, if you want to play it the way it should be played.

I could suggest an open source platform game project - that may well end up as an unfinished WIP, which may serve as a tutorial for those wanting up upskill their programming? Whether it takes off at all, will be up to those who could help with it. Since I am no programmer - I can't start it off or be of great help with it. It probably has 'doomed to fail' written all over it, before it can even get started?

Harvey

While it is a hi-res mode - and it has colours. The drawback seems to be it's only 2 shades as such within the character or tile.

Well, this is the known limitation for hi-res mode on the Atari 8-bits. But his work is still pushing the system compared to what's been formerly done using this mode. If you do this game in anything other hi-res you're going to lose more than you gain if you want to keep the flavor of the original intact, which is exactly what Tezz is working to achieve.

I looked at the Super Mario Bros 3 demo - and see there is the nice use of colour there - but if players are used to achieve this, then software sprites would have to be used for enemies.

But if you stuck with only 4 colours instead, then you would have the players hardware available for the enemies?

There are several different SMB3 demos by AnalMux. You're probably referring to the one that has the "Instrumentarium" soundtrack, no sprites, and uses P/M's for extra colors in the background. I think this is intended more as a tech demo than anything else. But he has a completely different demo that just uses Antic 4 (5 Colors for the background) and has all P/M's free -- using several for a Mario character that can be move around the levels. This demo also has many levels already in it (accessed by hitting system reset to move to the next level), and doesn't attempt to replicate any of the SMB3 levels exactly. So it's more like a scaled-down SMB3 that has a realistic approach for being completed.

Edited by MrFish

When I said "8-bits" I meant the Atari 8-bits. So I was just saying "What other game is there on the Atari 8-bits that uses so many colors in hi-res mode?".

Sorry for doubting, makes much more sense that way :)

One of my own experiments when I was first learning about this stuff is scrolling map from Laser Squad.

It's kind of like color attributes from other 8bits as I wanted to allow any out of four colors for any tile.

Two layers of quad sized PMs give you two shades of one color per byte.

What I would call 'second' method (like in Tezz's Manic Miner) is using PMs where ever needed, kinda like G2F allows.

So with each Player or Missile you can add color to a limited part of horizontal line where size and resolution of details depends on size setting of PM.

Haven't spoken to Tezz about that, but I bet he spent hours manually doing layout for PMs :)

What would be better is PC based 'smart' layout editor (like g2f) but maybe with dynamic position of stuff. Like sprite multiplexer for color distribution... Just thinking about complexity of it, makes me dread color clash and flickering :)

• Like 1