IGNORED

HOT! ATARI JAGUAR INJECTION MOLD TOOLING on eBay NOW! call Curt!

Defender II

I have an idea, let's all collect that 8K and gave it to charity to feed some hungry people! 8K to have a clear shell for a game system? Please, give me a break... :roll:

Or the Cebus and friends need to drink beer fund? :ponder:

Or the iwan in Las Vegas fund!!!! :D

• Like 1

I have an idea, let's all collect that 8K and gave it to charity to feed some hungry people! 8K to have a clear shell for a game system? Please, give me a break... :roll:

but aren't those the same fund???? ;)

but aren't those the same fund???? ;)

HECK YEAH!

• Like 1

I also doubt Atari spent $250K on those molds originally unless they are including the time of the industrial designers who created the prototype cases, etc...

It wouldn't cost anything like $250K to do them today in China, but to do it 18 years ago in the US? I believe it. These days, we're spoiled by highly automated and (relatively) inexpensive software that does much of the heavy lifting. Cheap Chinese labor helps too. :)

1993 was before CAD/molding software was cheap or powerful, so most of the work was manual. A lot of tool paths were still programmed manually, which can cost hundreds of man hours per piece. If you could find someone with advanced CAD software, it was running on a million dollar workstation and he charged accordingly.

And forget modern fluid cooling analysis software... instead you paid a guru $500 an hour who just "knew" how to make the plastic come out right. And then you paid him again when it didn't.

Using high grade steel makes it even more expensive, because as you make mistakes (which you will), you have to pay for very expensive welding and curing processes -- typically through 5 or more iterations until it's just right, with finish and all.

Atari probably built the tools to last millions of shots, which requires even more iterations and an attention to detail that is very costly. Shortcuts that work for 50,000 parts will wear down or become unmaintainable by the millionth shot.

The Jaguar shell alone certainly isn't $250K, but $60K for the top and $60K for the bottom is starting to sound reasonable. Add more for the Jag CD, which has more pieces, and then the carts, light pipes, buttons... Now $250K makes sense.

Are the controllers in there too? Wasn't mentioned.

I think the auctioneer could get some money for the cart mold only, but not $8000. All the other pieces seem pretty useless these days.

- KS

Edited by kskunk

Auction ended without any bids. Maybe he'll re-list for a lower price? $8000 is out of range. I think $2000 might be do-able as a group but we would still need someone to transport it to an injection plant to do the cases.

Did he ever say if he found the other mold?

Nah, the dude never got back to me about having the 2nd mold for the rear panel. Probably should have reminded him as we would need that for our clear/colored Jag base unit cases. Would still be cool to have a JaguarCD case in translucent plastic! - that mold is unmodded. The Cartridge mold would be very good for someone, anyone in the Jag community to have.

• 2 weeks later...
Did he ever say if he found the other mold?

He's not being specific as to whether he found the second mold that includes the back panel of the base unit that was removed for the camera production, but he did get back to me with this:

Noel,

I have made some time to do an extensive inspection of these Atari Molds to better represent them. If you are still interested in them please reply and I will send you the report and pictures.

Thx,

Steve Mortensen

650-703-9859

I think I may ask again about the panel and get the pictures of the inner mold if that's what he has. :)

• 2 years later...

I think the "I'm selling this or scrapping it" is his idea of a sales tactic. The only useful die would be the one for the carts, the others are just pieces of Atari history.

Not so true. People are after those white shells for the Jag, and would buy CD and controller shells too. I wrote him and he said he just doesn't have time to make them. If you look at his history, the white system shells have sold THOUSANDS of dollars worth. The current listing he has up (due to popular demand) has sold $1000 in shells alone.

But how big is that market and how much did it cost to make those shells? Even if his gross was $1K, after Ebay and Paypal fees and the cost and time of actually making those shells, shipping them out, maintaining his listings, dealing with picky buyers, etc...he's lucky if he cleared a few hundred bucks.

I think the "I'm selling this or scrapping it" is his idea of a sales tactic. The only useful die would be the one for the carts, the others are just pieces of Atari history.

Not so true. People are after those white shells for the Jag, and would buy CD and controller shells too. I wrote him and he said he just doesn't have time to make them. If you look at his history, the white system shells have sold THOUSANDS of dollars worth. The current listing he has up (due to popular demand) has sold $1000 in shells alone.

But how big is that market and how much did it cost to make those shells? Even if his gross was $1K, after Ebay and Paypal fees and the cost and time of actually making those shells, shipping them out, maintaining his listings, dealing with picky buyers, etc...he's lucky if he cleared a few hundred bucks.

I'm not sure how many listings there have been in two years but as far as I can tell on my own from observation he has sold no less than 200. I'd be willing to bet that every one of those people would be interested in other white jag stuff. If the lot includes the cartridge molds, I don't see how an investor could go wrong. I hope someone within the community grabs it and starts making stuff. I don't know what the plastic costs beyond the molds other than the color Coleco carts that were made ran around $1 - $2 each once done. Having the molds is half the battle.

I would consider the cartridge mold, but even with that, I don't know what demand there is for the cart shells these days. I suppose custom colors would be interesting to those who release homebrew, but I'm not sure what a minimum order would be from a business that does injection molding.

I just don't see it. He was selling them for between $20 and $30 for most of the time, so assuming 200 sold that's only $5K gross revenue minus 13% Ebay and Paypal plus raw materials and time, etc...That's maybe $2K-$3K net in two years on something that he wants to sell without a qualified techician or expert in injection molding to go along with it for $4500. That seems like a pretty poor investment.

I'm not sure how many listings there have been in two years but as far as I can tell on my own from observation he has sold no less than 200. I'd be willing to bet that every one of those people would be interested in other white jag stuff. If the lot includes the cartridge molds, I don't see how an investor could go wrong. I hope someone within the community grabs it and starts making stuff. I don't know what the plastic costs beyond the molds other than the color Coleco carts that were made ran around $1 - $2 each once done. Having the molds is half the battle.

• 1 year later...