IGNORED

How did you discover the Jaguar.

NBC

I went to a Circut City. And I saw the display stand. I looked at the Playstation One, The 3do because of a fighting game that was a clone of Mortal Combat with wicked rock music. 2 weeks later I went back and loked at the Jaguar. I also read about it in my local paper. Later when it was discontiude I bough 15 machines for my family. Aunt's and cousion's. I got 3 of each for my self. I went back to Circut City and they thew the display out back. I talked them into leting me buy it plus the 3do display. They talked to 6 other Circut City's. I got 6 Jaguar and 3do display stands. My mom's sister has one of them.

I also got the Turbo Grafx and Duo display stands the same way. I got my Jaguar's at Wallmart. I got 14 of each game. My family has 2 of each game. The cart unit was 30 dollars. The cd unit was 50 bucks. Then one day I found 8 games at Wallmart for 50 cents. 3 years later. Then I found A bunch of games at KB discount store in Pigen Forge. 2 weeks later I asked the store if the had the machines. I got 3 cart machines for 30 bucks a pop. 6 cd machines for 70 bucks.

3 weeks later a local pawn shop had 2 Jaguar's and 3 cd units. I got them all for 20 dollars. I then found a bunch of Jaguar's games for a dollar new unopend at a yard sell. I used to find them all the time. Not anymore.

I never bought from MyGoAtari.com. My friend would like to buy from there. Are the any good.

I like ever game for the system. I bought my family the Turbo Grafx the same way. Duo to.

We all play the Jaguar all the time. every friday night after we go out to eat. We love the Jaguar and the Duo. We play for money. I own my own factory. They work for me.

I would like to buy them a lynx. But is MyGoatari.com a good place to buy games.

Edited by NBC

I have bought from myatari.com and goatari.com and they are both good suppliers of new Jaguar stuff.

Wow man!, You sure did buy a lot of Jaguars and it must be just awesome owning a factory and being able to buy as much as you want of cool things like Jaguar!

I bought my Jaguar base unit in 1994 and the CD unit in 1995, the CD unit's MoBo is messed up but the base unit still works fine.

I like all the Jaguar games also. :) You should stop by Atariage more often and sign up at the jaguarsector.com - you now need a recommendation for that tho, let me know if needed.

I realy don't buy all that much. I just buy games off Ebay a few arcades and things. I mostly buy games at Walmart and EB.

I have 2 homes a 6 cars 4 trucks. I'm not rich.

I go out to eat at a different all you can eat buffets evey night. I just have to chose which one Ryan's or Shoneys. So I tell people that makes me rich. When I was a kid I went out to eat once a year. So eating out makes me feel rich.

I just have 300 dolars to spend a week.

I have 12 old game machines off ebay. 5 fake arcades. 40 real arcades and few odds and ends. I have new game machines like Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS1 and Super Nintendo. I have over 500 games for the PS1. 60 games for the others machines. Every Turbo Grafix, Duo, 3DO, and Lynx games.

My wife buy's clothes. I got suit's and things for church. So I do not buy much clothes. I like t shirts and things like that. I got a Elvis Presley collecton that is huge. Video games as well.

So mostly we help the church, poor, and hungry. Give a lot away. We do not need all of it.

I alway said if I had money I help people, go out to eat every night, and buy everything I ever wonted and I did. I never wanted much expect video games and food. Growing up I had a Atari 2600 and 7 games. Nintendo 20 games. Lynx 12 games. SuperNintendo and 14 games.

I just buy games or give money to family. Those gifts are allways perfect. Gift cards to. Free lunch at the factory. Pizza, Subways, Home cooked style food from Franks mostly.

So it is all good.

Edited by NBC

You should stop by Atariage more often and sign up at the jaguarsector.com - you now need a recommendation for that tho, let me know if needed.

Can you recommend me? I'm sorta new to jag and want to learn more/ be a part of these communities.

Is there something off about the OP?

ESL?

..and that he must have had a lot of money to burn through? :lolblue:

But how did I personally "discover" it?

Hm. I was just in elementary school around the first times I heard about it. Back then I only had access to printed magazines and I was really only a subscriber to Nintendo Power, so naturally I didn't hear much about the system.. It was still something mysterious to me at that time. I remember being in sixth grade and one day a guy in class talked about how he got a Jaguar with "DOOM". It was sometime in 1994, I think. I hadn't even played DOOM at that point--I just heard it was a scary game and so naturally as a kid I was intrigued. That was the only time I *ever* heard someone talk about the Jaguar as a kid. My second run-in with the Jaguar name was when I received a flyer from Atari in the mail (Probably the next year). They were advertising, again, DOOM, and I think the system was $200 or $250.. Hell, it may have even been $149 (It may have been later than I think I remember). I actually tried to get my parents to buy into it, but they said it was too expensive.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), my first hands-on experience with an actual system wouldn't be until I snatched a new console when they were being liquidated nationwide.

Edited by Austin

I used to think the NES and Genesis were the shiznit and all other systems sucked. I had a friend with a neo geo in elementary school and it was so exotic it was from a different world. Everyone I knew had an NES or a genesis. I can remember playing burgertime and dragonfire on atari, but I basicly missed that generation and went straight to NES. Now that I am 29 years old I am rediscovering Atari for the first time. ALL of the games are new to me outside the arcade classics so this is awsome. I bought a few games off ebay to collect. The first one was the sealed Rampage 7800 I have as my avatar. I then found atariage and saw how much passion some of the collectors have, which inspired me. I bought 2 7800s and found someone on here to AV mod them. While I was waiting for them to get modded, I found the Jaguar forum about a month ago.

So basicly I found out about Jaguar a MONTH ago for ATARIAGE! Since then I bought:

system with 6 games:(wolfenstein, doom, tempest, avp, iron soldier, cybermorph beacuse I knew youd be curious)

RGB/composite cable

Jaguar Developer Flash Cart

Cant wait to try out all the other games and find a pro controller!

I didn't know much about the Jaguar until I was offered a boxed console and 5 games for £100 last year. I didn't have the internet at the time so I couldn't look it up but I knew they were rare so I took a chance and bought it.

I remember being anxious on the way back home hoping that it was a good decision. First 2 games I played were Doom and Wolfenstein 3d. Both were awesome and I knew right away it was money well spent. I tried out Cybermorph which I thought was pretty crap at the time, though it's now one of my favourites and also played Alien vs Predator which I thought was quite good at first but it got boring pretty quick.

The 5th game I got, I-War sat on my shelf for months as it was sealed and I thought it would be worth a bit of cash, which it isn't really. I didn't like the look of it but one day I couldn't help myself and opened it up. I ended up playing it for about 3 hours straight and being mesmerised by the look and atmophere of it.

I was hooked on the Jaguar ever since then.

At B&C Computervisions (now myatari.com) when they still had a retail store in Santa Clara (on Scott Blvd) in 1994. They had a large screen TV with a Jaguar running Cybermorph that you could play. Anything and everything Atari was in that store. I remember reading early mentions of the Jaguar on GEnie.

Glenn

At B&C Computervisions (now myatari.com) when they still had a retail store in Santa Clara (on Scott Blvd) in 1994. They had a large screen TV with a Jaguar running Cybermorph that you could play. Anything and everything Atari was in that store. I remember reading early mentions of the Jaguar on GEnie.

Glenn

Wow I bet that store was just awesome. :) Didn't they even have import things for the ST?

For me I found out about the Jaguar through a local Atari user group in 1999. Got a Jaguar at Kaybee toystore (two of the last three) for $30.

Initially did not like Cybermorph and Bubsy was the first game that clicked with me.

I'm pretty sure I knew when it was coming out- I was an Atari fan all the way. I got it at an EB (before the GameStop merge of course) & wanted to write a check for the full amount. They wouldnt accept checks over $200 so I grudgingly went to my nearby credit union & took out some cash too. When I got back the mgr could see I was mad so he knocked $10 off a game (Trevor McFur IIRC :ponder:)

I remember being excited about the Jaguar from reading about it in various gaming magazines before it was released. I bought mine used with a bunch of games not too long after it was released. Unfortunately, most of the games released were disappointing.

• Like 1

I remember reading early mentions of the Jaguar on GEnie.

:thumbsup:

I was a big ST fan at the time, but I was starting to see the writing on the wall regarding the fate of Atari's computers. Around 1993, the buzz about the Jaguar started to crescendo on GEnie's Atari Roundtable. When I read about its RISC multiprocessor architecture, that sealed the deal for me; I had to have one.

Also, I remember downloading GIFs of the system (from GEnie) *before* the marketing blitz started. So count me as one of the Jaguar fans that existed before you could even buy one in the store.

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking to way back when, and I think the first time I saw the atari jaguar (even thought I didn't realize what it was) was when I was extremely young. I definitely remember I wanted to watch a movie with my dad, so I walk in and sit next to him. after a while I believe the Doom commercial played and if that didn't scare me enough,right after that it turns out he was watching the godfather and the horse head scene comes on. I was never so scared!

I believe that is the first time I saw it, I'm not 100% certain due to being so young, scared, and oh gosh long ago, - even then idk if this was a vhs tape my dad recorded a time before...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my first one in '93, when the downtown Toronto Sam the Record Man had a huge display devoted to the Jag. I was embittered with Atari's decision to drop the A8 the year before, though, so didn't pick one up until '02 (and continued to collect, even though my first game was Club Drive).

I first heard about the Jaguar a couple years before it came out in an Atari Magazine, becuase I already was into Atari 8-bits, and was going to get a 16/32-bit Atari but when I heard of the Jaguar, I waited for it instead, becuase in the early 90's my 8-bit was still good enough for the application software I used, I mainly wanted a new computer for next-gen games. Atari had only computers (besides the Lynx) at the time I heard about the Jag, and being an Atari owner/fan already, I planned on upgrading to a new Atari computer instead of getting a 16-bit console from Sega or Nintendo. But when I read about the upcoming Jaguar, a 64-bit system to leap frog all consoles and computers of the day, I waited for it and stuck with my trusty 130XE in the meantime. Soon after, I went to college, and then being a poor student, I couldn't afford the Jaguar when first released. I finally bought one in January of '95 with my college book money, along with AvP, Wolfenstien, Iron Soldier, Checkered Flag and Trevor Mcfur (and included Cybermorph) as my initial line-up. At the time Atari was also running a special where you can send in proof-of-purchase for the Jaguar and get either Wolfenstein or Raiden free. I chose Raiden. Everyone at College was extremely impressed with my Jaguar. Of course this was still several months before the Saturn and PSX were released, IIRC. One of my frat bro's had the 32X with his genesis, but that was the only other next-gen machine on campus, so I had the most advanced console on campus for a semester.

Edited by Gunstar

I actually read about it in a hunting magazine in about 93 area (yeah, a hunting mag) What can I say, I was goingto get my hair cut, and all the chairs were taken, so I was just flipping through random pages of magazines. And I came across it, and was just like "Wow! I didn't know Atari was still around"

Waited for it to come out, it never came (in our area anyways) About 96, I finely got my first system, back when the internet was pretty new, got it from Goatari, actually....

Cool system, but you know it's going to fail when it's not even released nationwide. Yeah, I know it's in california, but it's not like I'm in Main or something, I'm in OK, pretty central.

I actually read about it in a hunting magazine in about 93 area (yeah, a hunting mag) What can I say, I was goingto get my hair cut, and all the chairs were taken, so I was just flipping through random pages of magazines. And I came across it, and was just like "Wow! I didn't know Atari was still around"

Waited for it to come out, it never came (in our area anyways) About 96, I finely got my first system, back when the internet was pretty new, got it from Goatari, actually....

Cool system, but you know it's going to fail when it's not even released nationwide. Yeah, I know it's in california, but it's not like I'm in Main or something, I'm in OK, pretty central.

It was released nation-wide, that is, you could find it somewhere in your state, but not necessarily near you. The problem was limited outlets that were willing to carry the Jaguar after Atari past failures. It didn't get into Walmarts even until 6 months before the end of Atari, and then only in limited areas. It was mostly sold through smaller stores\chains that were also nationwide, but not in every town or city, like Tower Records, Electronics Boutique, Kay-bee toys, limited Target stores and mom-and-pop game shops and a few others, unfortunately some or most of those chains just don't exist in every town or even city. They needed stores like Walmart, Sears, K-mart and others to carry it everywhere, but they wouldn't Becuase of previous dealings with Atari and their string of failed systems. I was in Wisconsin at the time and I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest shop one way and about 60 the other way to Madison where there were a few stores that carried it. When it came time for me to buy my Jag, I just ordered it of one from the mail-order houses that advertised in the gaming mags.

Edited by Gunstar