IGNORED

Which disk drives would I need for an Atari 800XL?...

ataridave

I'd just pick up an SIO2SD device and emulate floppy drives via ATR images. The loading time is MUCH faster and you don't have to worry about your floppy disks dying, let alone finding new ones.

There is also the SIO2USB device which you can use with APE.

I've had trouble with protected software and disk emulation in the past. if you're going to get a drive, get a 1050, preferrably with a happy or us-doubler in it.

Thus far, most of my problems have been due to not having a PAL Atari, or by not holding down option when booting certain programs.

Can you think of some protected software off hand that I could try to run and see if I get the same results?

Also I may have a 1050 for sale. I'm not getting any use out of it.

Totally agree with the SIO2xx solution. I have the SIO2USB, and it's the most amazing device for the A8. It even works with most copy-protected software images due to the .pro and .atx image formats. Burst mode for speed, ease of use, small size, affordable... it's just a great product. As mentioned above, unless you really want to collect real disks, or have a bunch of disks you want to archive or something, I wouldn't bother with a real drive anymore, for either the A8 or the Commodore computers for that matter. Hardly any point to it anymore. Real floppies are unreliable, take up lots of space, are a lot slower to work with, and cost a lot in shipping to get them from ebay or wherever... not worth it in 2010 except as a curiosity/nostalgia.

Totally agree with the SIO2xx solution. I have the SIO2USB, and it's the most amazing device for the A8. It even works with most copy-protected software images due to the .pro and .atx image formats. Burst mode for speed, ease of use, small size, affordable... it's just a great product. As mentioned above, unless you really want to collect real disks, or have a bunch of disks you want to archive or something, I wouldn't bother with a real drive anymore, for either the A8 or the Commodore computers for that matter. Hardly any point to it anymore. Real floppies are unreliable, take up lots of space, are a lot slower to work with, and cost a lot in shipping to get them from ebay or wherever... not worth it in 2010 except as a curiosity/nostalgia.

Ok, since these disc images are copy-protected is SIO2xx method legal? Don't take offense, I just want to know.

Ok, since these disc images are copy-protected is SIO2xx method legal? Don't take offense, I just want to know.

I can't answer the specific legality question, as that's another whole topic(s), but... It's no more ore less legal than a cracked copy. The copy protection doesn't have anything to do with it. If you want to run only Public Domain software off of disk images, you can do that. If you want to run old cracked copyrighted software, you can do that. If you want to run old copy-protected copyrighted software, you can (usually) do that too. The SIO2xx solution is just a technical solution... what you chose to do with it is up to you.

Something like this comes in REAL handy:

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/proda8/adv-ek0130.htm

I totaly agree, the SDrive is awesome, but the price tag on this item is quite high. I built an SDrive (ok, without a case and without a SIO jack) by myself and the parts cost me approx. 15 EUR (some 20 USD), including taxes (20% here in Austria).

so long,

Hias