IGNORED

Just got a hacked PSP on eBay - but did I get two?

We just picked up a couple of PSPs last week on eBay. One did mention that it had a hacked firmware but, of course, the seller was careful to say that it was good for playing homebrews. It came with a 4Gb memory card crammed with music and commercial games.icon_mrgreen.gif I wasn't aware that the PSP could be softmodded in the same way as a Wii, so this was a big bonus.

The firmware on this reads Version 5.02 33-3

The other one has an older firmware Version 3.95. However, it doesn't seem to play backups. Both do play MP4 movies, though, which was another surprise (I know very little about the PSP).

So is it just the one machine that has a hacked firmware?

Yep it is. The hacked one may be able to write to its battery pack which would allow you to install custom firmware to both. My honest recommendation, since you have two, is to update the hacked one to 5.50 GEN D3 and update the other one to the latest official Sony firmware. That gives you the best of both worlds.

My wife is accustomed to playing PSP games from the memory stick on my 1000 unit, otherwise I'd update one or the other to the latest official firmware.

Are they phat (1000), slim (2000), or brite (3000)? :?:

I'm trying to understand it all by reading up on it - but it's 1am and it's all gibberish at this state of tiredness. ;)

Finally got one of the units (they're both 1000s BTW) to go online and downloaded the new official firmware but a little voice inside my head said, WOAH THERE IDIOT!! So I haven't installed it. Probably just as well. I haven't decided yet what to do about the unhacked machine. I will probably attempt the hack by using the battery from the other one.

PSP games and movies are pretty cheap used, though.

What's the benefit of updating to 5.50 GEN D3?

psp-hacks has the 5.50 GEN-D3 firmware, and it's possible to patch games that require newer firmware so that they'll run on 5.50 GEN-D3.

IIRC, it installs the same way that the M-33 firmware did. I don't know if it'll go through "network update", but if you download the GEN-D3 files plus the official firmware eboot files, the manual install is much like M-33's was.

EDIT: The feature set is very similar as well. Forgot to mention that.

Edited by shadow460

psp-hacks has the 5.50 GEN-D3 firmware, and it's possible to patch games that require newer firmware so that they'll run on 5.50 GEN-D3.

IIRC, it installs the same way that the M-33 firmware did. I don't know if it'll go through "network update", but if you download the GEN-D3 files plus the official firmware eboot files, the manual install is much like M-33's was.

EDIT: The feature set is very similar as well. Forgot to mention that.

Well... the video tutorials seem very easy on there. I upgraded to 5.50 Gen....

I am trying out Little Big Planet... but it seems to be hung up. :(