IGNORED

Question about Risen

Mendon

While on Xbox Live yesterday, I noticed that there is a promotion going on (with a contest) for a game called Risen. I was totally unaware of this game until I saw the promotion and after watching the trailer, I thought the game looked pretty interesting. I went on Amazon and saw the game is $40 and decided to read a couple reviews that were posted on the page. While these reviews were somewhat negative on the graphic's and control, they both mentioned that the game is like Morrowwind and Obliviion and that if I liked those games, I'd like Risen.

Just wondering if anyone has played the game and if so, what are your thoughts - comments?

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Been playing for a long while. So far the game is pretty hard core RPG. Even on normal, this hasn't been an easy game so far.

Some negatives : The visuals on the 360 seem pretty gray and washed out compared to the screen shots I've seen of the PC. The character models are very fugly. The voice acting is only ok, seems uninspired. The game is buggy in parts. One time I went to take a drink of water, I walked right through the barrel and got stuck for a bit, same thing one time I fell down a little cliff into an area I couldn't leave right away. Through moving and jumping I was able to get out of both eventually.

Some positives : The land is HUGE and exciting to explore. There are lot's of nooks and crannies, caves, items, etc... to find. Very fun. Even tho the graphic on the 360 aren't on par with the PC version, I personally think they look really good!(except the characters themselves, they suck) The game is challenging, but so far I haven't been frustrated. still this doesn't seem like an RPG you will blow through in a few hours.

The game play in many ways reminds me of Diablo or Guild Wars. You can aggro creatures and they will follow you. Often time you can separate groups of creatures by using aggro. The slower ones will eventually give up the chase. This games reminds me more of Two Worlds than Oblivion. There are 3 different views, but none are 1st person. At first I had some trouble with the control, but now it's not a problem at all. I like games where you can explore and so far this game is great in that aspect. I haven't leveled up any skills yet. Not sure when that happens. I might have to join one of the groups before I can do that. So far it seems worth the $40 (I got a used copy)