IGNORED

Emulation on Dreamcast

GregadetH

Well I tried burning a disc and it seemed to work but when I tried it out there were no games when I browse the game library. I have 50 roms (of games I actually do own) and I double checked that it linked to the roms folder, the build programs said everything was "ok" when it created the ISO, I chose discjuggler which seems to work great and it burned the disc just fine. It loads the title screen, etc but no games show up.

The roms all end in .7z

Does that matter to the program?

Where might I be going wrong?

If the ROMs end in .7z, they are compressed, and you'll have to decompress them first (using 7Zip or WinRAR) so the CD Builder can attempt to identify them. As it compiles the list of ROMs, the program uses a database of checksums to identify them, and any ROM whose checksum is not in the database won't show up in the emulator menu, even if the ROM actually works. When I made my disc, I had to replace three or four of my own ROMs for this very reason. If you're able to use your compressed ROMs in another emulator as they are, it's because the emulator is decompressing them for you on the fly, but NesterDC doesn't support this.

Ok thanks, I'll decompress them and see how that works.

Aaaaand the NesterDC SE CD builder is incompatible with my version of Windows. W. T. F? I give up.

Strange. What does it say when you try to run it? Which version of Windows do you have? Can you run the program in compatibility mode?

I can't get it to do anything beyond running the initial setup. I'm running Windows 7, that's probable the issue. On the bright side SBI inducer just burned a nice version of NesterDC. If I can only get it to burn a good version of Stella I'll be happy. The one I burned last night was severely glitchy.

Edited by GregadetH

I've been looking in to the Atari 2600 emulation on the Dreamcast and it seems like there aren't any good emulators out there and none being actively developed at the moment.

About the problem running the setup file in W7, have you tried running it in compatibilitymode?

It's been about 8 years since I burned any Dreamcast emulation disc, but I used to use DIR2BOOT.EXE which made it extremely easy (i.e. create folders w/ needed files, run dir2boot.exe and it created a diskjuggler image). Is that tool still viable? I can provide if needed.

It's really a shame about 2600/7800 emulation on the DC not being any good. The 800/XL/XE/5200 emu runs great but I've had no luck with finding a trimmed down rom set. The pre-made image linked to here on AA is awesome, but it has some pesky adult games in it. I guess I'll stick with SMS and NES for now. I have some good, kid friendly rom sets for both.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh another question about NesterDC. I don't know if its the roms but a couple of them seem corrupted like Donkey Kong Classics and One on One. Is this the emulator or did I get bad roms because I tried a couple of versions of Nester from different sources on my DC and the same games seem to not work.

Oh another question about NesterDC. I don't know if its the roms but a couple of them seem corrupted like Donkey Kong Classics and One on One. Is this the emulator or did I get bad roms because I tried a couple of versions of Nester from different sources on my DC and the same games seem to not work.

I had that problem also. Stadium Events, for example: my good copy (which works fine in the emulator) wasn't in the database of recognized ROMs, but another copy that matched the database wouldn't work, either on the DC or my PC-based emulators.

Ummm.... I'm really new at this, so you're going to have to use small words, and maybe some puppets... but could anyone help me make a disc for the Simpsons Arcade game? I've found some files that say they work (both CDI and SBI) and even though I've burned other projects successfully, this one still borks on me. Help?

I had that problem also. Stadium Events, for example: my good copy (which works fine in the emulator) wasn't in the database of recognized ROMs, but another copy that matched the database wouldn't work, either on the DC or my PC-based emulators.

Strange. On the two games I mentioned I get weird ASCII characters all over the screen and its unplayable. Are you getting the same thing in some of your roms?

BTW, I only download roms of games I own. Just thought I'd make that clear :D