IGNORED

Atari XEGS Back Screen?

Crickster

Hey everyone I'm new here and new to the 8-bit Atari computer scene, so I thought I'd start out with an Atari XEGS. The system itself starts up with the little green light turning on but nothing shows and it just turns black. I don't have the original RF cable and am using a substitute.

If someone can tell me what cable should go where and that kind of stuff it would really help out. Sorry if I sound kinda noobish it's just that I've always wanted to mess around with one of these and now that I can I'm kinda confused.

Thanks for looking!

Hey everyone I'm new here and new to the 8-bit Atari computer scene, so I thought I'd start out with an Atari XEGS. The system itself starts up with the little green light turning on but nothing shows and it just turns black. I don't have the original RF cable and am using a substitute.

If someone can tell me what cable should go where and that kind of stuff it would really help out. Sorry if I sound kinda noobish it's just that I've always wanted to mess around with one of these and now that I can I'm kinda confused.

Thanks for looking!

If you use RF output, it connects to the coaxial input on the TV. Better to use the A/V (audio/video) output and set to line input on your TV/VCR. See if that gives a black screen.

Thanks for the quick reply, both AV out and RF out show black screens.

The last black-screened XEGS that I saw had a bad CPU and RAM. I happened to have spares of both, so I was able to repair it. Not sure if yours has the same issue or not, but it's the first thing I would check. Unfortunately, the chips in the XEGS are mostly soldered in place, so swapping them out isn't as easy as it would be if they were socketed.

Thanks for the quick reply, both AV out and RF out show black screens.

Check the serial number on the bottom-- if it starts with A181... it most likely has socketed RAM and ROM. If it's like A179..., you need soldering/desoldering to repair RAM/ROM/CPU/etc.

Another thing, you can turn on machine with START key pressed and if you hear BEEP from TV, you can eliminate most of trial-and-error "which chip is bad" dilemna.

Check the serial number on the bottom-- if it starts with A181... it most likely has socketed RAM and ROM. If it's like A179..., you need soldering/desoldering to repair RAM/ROM/CPU/etc.

Another thing, you can turn on machine with START key pressed and if you hear BEEP from TV, you can eliminate most of trial-and-error "which chip is bad" dilemna.

The serial number starts with A182 and I did try the Start key like you said and no sound came out. I am not skilled enough with a soldering iron to repair this myself so should I just throw it out, or could somebody here repair it?

The serial number starts with A182 and I did try the Start key like you said and no sound came out. I am not skilled enough with a soldering iron to repair this myself so should I just throw it out, or could somebody here repair it?

I can repair it, or I can send you a spare XEGS that I have if it can't be repaired. PM me if you're interested.

I can repair it, or I can send you a spare XEGS that I have if it can't be repaired. PM me if you're interested.

If you do repair it, post what was wrong. I think that model also may have socketed RAM/ROM given the serial #.