IGNORED

Dead 810

I have an 810 that the Atari wont see, it turns on and spins the disk like normal, but when I turn on the Atari it doesn't boot and the Atari goes to the ready prompt.

I checked the dip switches, changed cables, tried both SIO ports... No change, anyone have any ideas of what I could look at? (Bearing in mind I'm not that technically minded)

Work the address switches some more. Can you boot with a second drive? Try to access the drive as some other address after you boot from a good drive. (if one switch is bad, only some addresses will work.

Otherwise... dunno.

Bob

I have an 810 that the Atari wont see, it turns on and spins the disk like normal, but when I turn on the Atari it doesn't boot and the Atari goes to the ready prompt.

I checked the dip switches, changed cables, tried both SIO ports... No change, anyone have any ideas of what I could look at? (Bearing in mind I'm not that technically minded)

if you have another SIO device to try booting from , boot from that. if it works, then you know that the SIO port in your atari isn't fried.

A106 in the 810 is an IC that is an array of transistors and it is used in the SIO communications, if it is bad, then nothing will talk to the drive. just like in the 1050 or atari itself, if you hot plug live devices into the SIO chain you are taking chances on blowing this chip.

I have multiple ataris and drives, that all work on the SIO... This is the only one that doesnt.

Can you give me an idea where a106 is located, I may try swapping it out with a known working 810

As for the switches it doesnt work on 1,2,3,4 at all

But thanks guys :)

Boot with something else with the 810 connected and on. See if you can get a directory of a known good disk. If this was his main drive, I would have assumed it was drive 1.

Nope, tis still deader than a parrot in a Monty python sketch....