IGNORED

Vintage Clones

Draugr

Hello Everyone.

I was searching through these forums for information on mods for the Atari and Colecovision. I saw one post where people mentioned wanting to see a modern clone of the CV. This really got me interested in that idea. I wanted to ask if there is any talk or work being done on producing modern clones of the following systems. Modern meaning with S-Video, VGA, or HDMI A/V type mods, possibly new/smaller board designs, etc...

So, if anyone has any information on any of these consoles getting a modern clone release please say so. If there are clones in the works, I'll hold off on modding my original consoles.

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800

Colecovision

Intellivision

NES

Thanks

John

Atari has released several modern versions of Atari 2600 called Flashbacks.

From what I've read, you can't use your original cartridges though. I'm hoping to see a flashback type system with the cartridge port so we can play our original cart based games from our collections.

Atari 2600 - Possible

Atari 5200 - Will never happen

Atari 7800 - Will never happen

Colecovision - Will never happen

Intellivision - Will never happen

NES - There are a ton of them and I'm sure more are coming

Companies like Yobo, Innex and Hyperkin are not going to make a clone of a system that did not have a huge library of games. I have heard rumblings of a 2600 clone a few times, but so far have not seen anything, which is somewhat surprising since I would think this would be a pretty easy system to clone.

I do believe Paul over at Longhorn Engineering is working on a smaller 2600 motherboard.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Hey, the market it SATURATED with NES clones, there's also SNES and Genny clones (I hear a few of the Genny's even work with PBC so you can play SMS games on them, though I have NO Idea which ones (suposedly) work)

It's about time for a 2600 clone...Yeah, the flashbacks are cool and all (thought he first one is actually a Nintendo clone, so are the stick and paddle games) but a REAL clone, with a cart port and all, already built in, would be cool.

Heck, whoever made one could make a deal with someone like AA to sell the system with a multi cart packed in with a few different modern games on it, that would be awesome IMO, and encourage sales of both the system, and Homebrew games.

Eh, but who knows, as near as I can tell, people are just alergic to making money, after all, if you can make a Nintendo clone for $30, and make money on it, it seems to me, it would be easy to make money on a $30, or even less Atari clone (and I'd be willing to pay $50+ for one or two dozen systems myself)

Personally, I think it's time, I'm kinda surprised Nintendo clones still do so well, as I said, the market is just saturated with them, you can buy only like 20 different variants at the moment.

Anyhow, I'd be first in line for something like that..but I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting.

From what I've read, you can't use your original cartridges though. I'm hoping to see a flashback type system with the cartridge port so we can play our original cart based games from our collections.

I can't remember where I saw it, I think ot was on AA somewhere but someone (possibly Curt Vendel of Atari Museum) said it was possilbe to fit retrofit a cartridge port to the flashback so that you could use original 2600 carts.

I can't remember where I saw it, I think ot was on AA somewhere but someone (possibly Curt Vendel of Atari Museum) said it was possilbe to fit retrofit a cartridge port to the flashback so that you could use original 2600 carts.

Unfortunately, that requires more knowhow than average Joe Blow will have. Sure, some people can do it, but then again, many of the ones that can, will probably upkeep an original system or three anyways :P (a working knowledge of soldering is handy for upkeeping older hardware like the 2600, very little goes wrong with it that can't be fixed)

Colecovision - Will never happen

I wouldn't be so sure...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155832-the-official-colecovision-2-thread/

$150? I would buy one, but would a casual classic gamer? Probably not. I guess I should have been more clear. I do not see a larger company like Hyperkin, Innex, Yobo, etc. making clones of those systems above. Thanks for the link though it looks interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

As for the Atari flashbacks, they leave a lot to be desired, despite all the swooning that you will see on the AA forums. Padding the ego of a certain individual in hopes of future hardware development serves no good purpose. They have some decent games included, but no ability to play your other game carts (without extensive modification of FB2 anyway). FB 2-1/2 has recently been released, but the library is underwhelming and no Activision or Imagic games are included.

5200 and Intellivision clones are much needed.

• 2 weeks later...

5200 and Intellivision clones are much needed.

It's not technically a clone, but the Intellivision 10-in-1 and 25-in-1 systems were released a few years ago. They are based on NES hardware, and the included games are far from faithful to the originals, but that is probably as close to an Intellivison re-release/clone as we will ever see.

As for the Atari flashbacks, they leave a lot to be desired, despite all the swooning that you will see on the AA forums. Padding the ego of a certain individual in hopes of future hardware development serves no good purpose. They have some decent games included, but no ability to play your other game carts (without extensive modification of FB2 anyway). FB 2-1/2 has recently been released, but the library is underwhelming and no Activision or Imagic games are included.

My understanding also was that even with FB2 modified to accept cartridges it still will not play some original Atari games. I'm not sure of the precentage but if its more than 5% then that's a problem IMHO. There are about a dozen of NES's library of 600-some-odd games that tend to have issues with most clones but that's at least a small percentage of the whole. Does anyone have a percentage on the number of Atari carts the FB2 won't play?