IGNORED

Doom 1.5?

sh3-rg

. It's a biggie & had to be worked on quite a bit to get it going, but that's good as he learned a few more things in the process. I'm going to say sorry now for failing the jump so many times & quitting at the end, I suck, it's true :)

WOW, that's a big level and the Jag ran it just fine :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and it's one of the Doom 2 level's I hate the most! :x :x

It has been edited quite a bit I'm told, but the secrets are still all there (though I failed to get the other two, even the one right in front of me at one point :P I tried it without cheating & I couldn't get anywhere!). But it does bode well for possibilities for future JagDoom-based games if a level like this works :thumbsup:

the jaguar doom rom has about 600k of empty space. getting more levels, including the original

ones to fit would not be a problem, as for a level editor, best to stick with the pc versions

i doubt anyone could edit a level with the jagpad, not even me, and i've done a few.

• Like 1

I am on holiday for the next 10 or so days, so internet for me will be very limited.

When I get back I will show people how I managed to hack new levels into doom using

a hex editor and a few wad programs. It's all pretty simple really, the hard part is

making those levels run on the Jaguar. Quite a few changes have to be made, I may given

enough time and if people are interested write down a few rules to follow so you don't

have to go through what i did, maps not working plus gpu and draw errors, caused by the

Jaguar Doom engine complaining.

At the moment I am busy working on other things, but I will get back to Doom hacking

again, with possibly a release of a set of utilities to make porting levels and changing

anything you want in the Jaguar Doom wad somewhere in the near future.

For those people going to Outline 2010, they will be able to see and play whats been done

so far, and maybe Jagfest UK in September. I won't be taking this project any further.

Everything that has been learnt from doing it will help in future Doom Engined games.

There will be more of them in the future ;)

• Like 2

I am on holiday for the next 10 or so days, so internet for me will be very limited.

When I get back I will show people how I managed to hack new levels into doom using

a hex editor and a few wad programs. It's all pretty simple really, the hard part is

making those levels run on the Jaguar. Quite a few changes have to be made, I may given

enough time and if people are interested write down a few rules to follow so you don't

have to go through what i did, maps not working plus gpu and draw errors, caused by the

At the moment I am busy working on other things, but I will get back to Doom hacking

again, with possibly a release of a set of utilities to make porting levels and changing

For those people going to Outline 2010, they will be able to see and play whats been done

so far, and maybe Jagfest UK in September. I won't be taking this project any further.

Everything that has been learnt from doing it will help in future Doom Engined games.

Have a good time on your holiday!

Oh wow, definitely looking forward to this!

RAD! :thumbsup:

hey, thats cool, maybe i look around at outline 2010 :)

• Like 1

neo_rg any chance you could contact id software / carmack etc. and ask permission to release this on the Jag? :^)

It isn't up to Carmack or id anymore. It is up to ZeniMax now as they own id. Belboz has had communication with Carmack and he has stated already that any releases on the Jag must be completely free of the game content ip. All the assets have to be original and distribution of the game engine has to be adherent to the GPL or the original Doom license the engine was released with. Someone can e-mail this question to Carmack but he is simply going to direct them to inquire with ZeniMax. The prospects of Carmack allowing the content ip to be used in a Jag release were already low in my opinion but I think the prospects of ZeniMax allowing it are nonexistent. I would absolutely love for someone to prove me wrong. I just want to make sure anyone who takes up this cause knows who holds the power to make it happen.

As for the instructions on how someone could do this on their own (assuming the content being manipulated is possessed legally)... cool. I think there are a few in the community who would enjoy trying it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone.

Had my holiday but didn't go anywhere thanks to a volcano, but while I was at home I

started on the tutorial for hacking levels into doom. I've come across one major

problem, the assets. I don't want to spread them as thay are still © but I think

if you are interested in hacking levels and can prove you own a jaguar doom cartridge.

i.e. send me an email with a picture of you holding it, and maybe your name on a bit of

paper too... just to stop people using google picures. Then I can save you the hassle

of trying to extract them youself and put them into a compatable wad format. These would

be then emailed to you with a disclaimer.

What are your thoughts, is there an easier way to do this for people interested.

I will show people how I managed to hack new levels into doom using

a hex editor and a few wad programs.

Oh wow, definitely looking forward to this!

F#@K Yeah!, doc. :)

I will show people how I managed to hack new levels into doom using

a hex editor and a few wad programs.

I will get back to Doom hacking again, with possibly a release of a set of utilities to make porting levels and changing anything you want in the Jaguar Doom wad somewhere in the near future.

;)

RAD! :thumbsup:

RAD!? -Damn right, it's Prime! :P :D

Hello again everyone.

I started on the tutorial for hacking levels into doom. I can save you the hassle

of trying to extract them youself and put them into a compatable wad format. These would

be then emailed to you.

Killer! :D

Just totally Awesome neo! -your cool man! :cool: I really appreciate your willingness to share your Doom hacking knowledge! I will have to get that pic to you, for your tutorial - don't know if I can successfully hack a Doom wad but I will try!

Edited by ovalbugmann

i will upload the first part of the tutorial soon, its just to let you know what programs

and things you will need. and basically how to set up a program for our uses. most of the

programs are free and a couple are trial versions, but you will need a Doom II wad file and

an Atari Jaguar Doom rom file. Why a Doom II wad file and not normal Doom one..? Doom II uses

map with just numbers i.e. MAP01, MAP02, and so on. Normal Doom uses maps with numbers and

episodes i.e. e1m2, e3m4 and so on. Jaguar Doom uses the Doom II map numbering.

You will need the Atari Jaguar Doom rom too. Otherwise we'll have nothing to hack.. it may be

a good idea to get Project Tempest as well. It will be an easy way to test the maps you either

make or port there and then and gives an accurate indication of how the maps look and play on

the Jag. It will also be easier to take screenshots from if you get a crash screen. Once you

are happy with that, upload to your Skunkboard 8-).

see what i mean here ..

post-2706-127228633202_thumb.jpg

• Like 2