IGNORED

EGM returns!

The April 2010 edition of Electronic Gaming Monthly will mark a return more than a year after the magazine was shuttered by Ziff-Davis (aka THE DEVIL). The original creator of EGM has purchased the rights to the property and is heading up the new publication.

This is sweet! EGM was and still is my favorite rag for good, solid info. Even Seanbaby is back on board writing new articles on terrible games. I'll definately be picking this one up. It's nice to see that even with the total saturation of the internet, that monthly magazines still have a place in gaming. Since ZD is no longer involved in things, maybe they'll resurrect a bunch of the old standards that I loved during the mags early years, like "Trickman Terry" and the "Quartermann" sections. Maybe even bring back Sushi-X!

I guess it is cool that it is back and i wish them luck but EGM hasn't been the same after the 16-bit days of gaming when the magazine was the size of a telephone book.

And i agree it would be great if "Quartermann","Trickman Terry" and even "Sushi X" made there returns.

I'm hopeful this won't suck. I stopped subscribing to EGM in '94 during the waning days of the 16-bit era. They had a great run in the early 90's. I have a few ZD issues here and there and they feel like a totally different magazine: lots of text but no content.

Early 90's EGMs were great, followed by terrible mid 90s EGM. It then started to get better in the later part of the 90s with some decent Dreamcast Coverage. From about 2005 on it was downright terrible. I look forward to seeing what EGM does, and wish them well.

From my understanding, when EGMNOW comes back online, it will be the main page for the new EGM (if you went there before it went down, you know it was just a lot of black space with a few press releases-which were covered over on Out-of-Print Archive, as they happened).

Can't wait for it to come back, the stuff in the works is amazingly cool.

What everyone needs to remember is, the lost issue that is available online is based on an issue that was created before "digital paper" was thought of.  Just wait till you see what is in store with issues that were designed from the ground up with this format in mind.

• 1 month later...

Is the new publisher going to honor the old subscriptions? I had several years left on my subscription.

This question was asked in the letters section. The answer:

We'd like to give out free magazines, but that strategy doesn't seem to work so well if you want to stay in business. All kidding aside, When the rights to EGM were acquired the subscriber list had already been sold. The list existed, But was no longer available.

I don't know how much demand there is for print magazines anymore. But that's cool news.

I miss Gamefan. The writers seemed more like real gamers with real opinions and diverse interest in games, and not just shilling whatever is most popular/hyped at the moment. Of course the magazine had to die because of that.

Hi guys,

I purchase the April 2010 edition of EGM magazine, and it wasn't that bad at all. I still like to collect video game magazines from time-to-time.

But the demand of printed VG material is still in demand. Unfortunately, at newsstands. People just read them and don't buy. 8v(

Anthony....

Cool that they are back...I was a subscriber right up until the end. Don't think I'll subscribe now though. With the internet who needs a magazine subscription? Everything is already available online, and its usually more up to date than a magazine that is outdated by the time it gets to my mailbox.

I don't know how much demand there is for print magazines anymore. But that's cool news.

I miss Gamefan. The writers seemed more like real gamers with real opinions and diverse interest in games, and not just shilling whatever is most popular/hyped at the moment. Of course the magazine had to die because of that.

My company use to print Gamefan too so i got read all of the issues before they would hit the stores and i agree with you on the writers too.

Cool that they are back...I was a subscriber right up until the end. Don't think I'll subscribe now though. With the internet who needs a magazine subscription? Everything is already available online, and its usually more up to date than a magazine that is outdated by the time it gets to my mailbox.

Yes, that is the typical problem with print publications. So, what should a magazine (or newspaper et al) do to actually get people to pay for content? (This is a question I ask of my media writing students.) The magazine, while still operating under a deadline and needing to produce the issue in a timely manner, should actually use that delay to its advantage and have its writers do longer, more researched, more thoughtful pieces, particularly as opposed to what one usually finds on the internet (this is not to say that quality writing doesn't exist on the internet, it's just in much lower proportion to the rest of the writing out there). This also means that editors need to do even better jobs and help shape the pieces into some top notch journalism, otherwise people will abandon the paid publication for free info on the internet.

Now, my only thing with EGM is that when they folded I got gifted with an unwanted subscription to Maxim, which I managed to get canceled after 3 issues, but I never got the balance of the subscription refunded.

Yeah they're trying something new though, by offering both online as well as print content. And, there's some code in the middle of the magazine that unlocks additional content on the website for 30 days or something like that.

Personally I think it's fine. I really do prefer reading stuff in print vs. sitting on my computer desk to be honest. But yeah, it's tough times.