IGNORED

Atari Lynx vs Sega Game Gear

King_Salamon

OK, like the topic says... I'm thinking of collecting for either the Lynx or the Game Gear and I'd like some honest input from Lynx fans... I've played both in the past and thought they were both great but now I'm looking for opinions as to which is better and I'll be picking one to collect for in the near future.

I've noticed the Lynx has an outstanding homebrew scene which is a BIG plus and the Game Gear has nothing of the sort... the Game Gear has a larger library I believe so that is a plus for that system! I love APB and Robotron 2084 on the Lynx and the Game Gear has some licensed games like XMen and Star Wars that I enjoy.

So now's my request for your input... I can still find new Lynx Systems online but I can't find Game Gears new anywhere... mind you I tend to visit Atari forums like AA for the most part so that explains that a bit. What's should I do?

And please.... no bashing someone for saying they like system a over system b or that a certain game is better than all the others for the other system... I'd like some constructive input please. :)

• Like 1

I have both....obviously from my AA name I prefer the Lynx. They're both great systems, but the Atari Lynx has....more..... "personality." It just has more of a retro feel and it is clunky enough to be satisfying.

It's hard to explain.

From a technical standpoint, I would say the GameGear is actually better. More games are available as well.

If you are going to collect, the Lynx is easier to obtain a complete collection.

From a technical standpoint the Lynx pretty much can do stuff the GG cannot. The GG does have 2 benefits though: higher resolution and 32 colors on-screen.

The lower Lynx-res is also why some Lynx games seem to have such unusual tall character sprites with little space above and under; there are basically 40 lines missing compared to other handhelds, which hurts the overview a bit.

But looking at stuff like Battle Wheels or Battlezone 2000, this could not be done on GG. All the fancy scaling and rotation is a huge pro for the Lynx; after all the GG is only a Sega Master System with a larger color palette.

When it comes to games, the Game Gear is the clear winner. It has many great games from all genres, and many of the famous franchises had GG-incarnations. There are of course the

Sonic-games (5 of them afair)

Land of Illusion (one of the best 8bit jump´n runs)

GG Shinobi 1 & 2 (like Switchblade, but better)

Gunstar Heroes

Samurai Shodown

Fatal Fury Special

Mortal Kombat 1 - 3

Shining Force Gaiden

Wonder Boy

Mega Man

a GOOD Batman Returns-game

Streets of Rage 1 & 2

Defenders of Oasis (nice Zelda clone)

and many more less known, but often good games, including the EA Sports range with Madden, FIFA etc

In comparison the Lynx has only very few games, and many are mediocre; like a game like Scrapyard Dog that is popular on Lynx would probably not have gained any attention had it been up against the many superior jump´n runs on the GG.

But the games that shine on the Lynx are damn good fun on the other hand; they are just fewer in numbers and with no big names as 3rd parties ignored the system.

AND you can get most Lynx games new & sealed for little money.

For me the Lynx wins; I never played it back in the day, but its technical power impressed me, and it has a certain kind of charme as the underdog that the GG lacks. And also the Lynx is getting good homebrew support nowadays while the GG is basically dead.

• Like 1

The Lynx is a great handheld and obviously the best tech for its day. Many great games, and the better ones show off the Lynx's superior technology.

As much as I love the Lynx, I favor the Game Gear. It was basically a portable Sega Master System, but with more colors on screen. Tons of US games were released for it, with many being surprisingly good 8-bit ports of Genesis titles. With a Master Gear Converter, SMS carts play on the GG, further expanding the library.

I would recommend both systems. Neither one is expensive to start collecting for, and they're both great to play if you have the AC adapters. Otherwise they'll both eat through 6x AA batteries every several hours ;)

The Lynx always had a nicer screen.And arcade conversions were only equal on a SNES for graphics usually.The conversions were most always spot on for arcade "feel" on Lynx.The only neat thing on the Game Gear for me was the TV Tuner accessory --you could plug it into "cable" and watch TV or VHS or also use the antenna too.It was a neat gadget.The Lynx was better tech though.

It may be just me, but every Game Gear I've played has a crappy quality screen. The brightness isn't enough and I have to slant the system a bit to actually see anything. I don't need to do that with the Lynx, though. But yeah, Lynx does not have the Sonic games (except that weird one that was shown in that catalog), but it does have a lot of arcade ports if you're into that sort of thing: Robotron, Joust, Super Asteroids & Missile Command, Rampage, etc. Plus there's no homebrew scene for the Game Gear, which really is a shame because I'd like to see one.

From a technical standpoint, I would say the GameGear is actually better.

I wouldn't. (And I love the SMS).

The GameGear has more colors on screen and a slightly higher resolution.

The Lynx has WAY more powerful sprite and scaling capabilities and better networking as well.

Translation: I hate unilateral "X is better than Y" arguments. There are pros and cons of each.

People always quote the 16 vs. 32 colours on screen but the Lynx could palette switch each scanline to achieve more than 16 (Alpine Games is a great example)

I have a massive collection of consoles and computers and have to say that the Lynx easily has the best good to bad games ratio of any of them. There are probably only about 5 games out of over 100 that I would call bad for the Lynx and TBH none of them stink that much.

The Lynx has the best arcade conversions of its time with ones that didn't appear on other consoles like Xybots, APB, Hydra, Ninja Gaiden and of course STUN Runner (which no other machine of its generation could handle)

I like the Gamegear it has some good games but for me the Lynx's best titles far outshine the GG and offer something different to the many Sega & Nintendo machines.

I'm definitely collecting and playing... and I appreciate all the feedback. I'm leaning towards getting both and picking out the games I want to play then getting further into the other titles.

I admit, there are a ton of Lynx games I'm just itching to play and the Game Gear has some as well but the arcade games on the Lynx are the real draw!

Getting a Game Gear with a Master System attachment would be cool though...

I think I shall get a Lynx first (seeing as I can find a new one online) and then look around for a like new Game Gear (seeing as I can't find a website that has new ones). I guess there's another reason I want to get a Lynx first... there is a plethora of helpful folks on websites ready to help with any problems I may encounter with the Lynx.

Thanks everyone! I'll see about getting a Lynx in the next week from somewhere, any suggestions before I over spend on a new Lynx? (I suppose I could ask the.golden.ax for a system.. lol)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really not a fan of the GG at all. I collected for a year or two, and really on the strength of some of the Japanese oddities that are available for the system, but I just found it...lacking.

I also find the Sonic games to be highly overrated (I know, I know), so it wasn't difficult to give it up. :)

So now's my request for your input... I can still find new Lynx Systems online but I can't find Game Gears new anywhere... mind you I tend to visit Atari forums like AA for the most part so that explains that a bit. What's should I do?

Not replying as a suggestion as to what to collect -- I just started a thread myself asking about if Lynx games are worth collecting -- but no matter which you do, even as the guy who you might be buying from, I'd strongly suggest buying used or refurbished instead of new. With handheld systems specifically, buying used means that you can ask about how many pixels are dead and stuff like that. It's something I'd suggest with any handheld not currently on the market -- if you buy used, you can look or ask the seller to look and see if there are dead pixels or anything, and can make sure you get a near perfect system.

Buying new is a crapshoot, as the pixel failure rate was pretty high, and most sellers won't replace a new system if it has one or two dead pixels -- *most* systems do, so it is a risk you take buying new.

The gamegear may have more games, but it's a quantity vs quality thing. The lynx has better games over all. Not dissing the GG by any stretch, it's got some great games. Heck, Gaemboy is my favorite handheld of the era, and it's got a ton of shit on it :P (but then, it's simply got more everything)

I'd say get both (if it's an option) The GG will probably be easy and cheap to pick up, and collect for, though it's mostly dead in the homebrew arena. The lynx will be more expensive, and the games will be harder to come by (seperate, you'll get games with the system useually, but it's rare to find them singly) and it's got a decent homebrewscene.

The lynx had ninja giaden nuff said ^^.

Welcome on the forum.

Game gear has ninja gaiden too, so you have to buy both systems :)

Yes but not the arcade version :P

Must have sucked becouse i never heard about it. I have bother game gear and lynx and i still say lynks all the way.

I have both Systems.

And i must said the Game Gear Sucks.

Theres a lot of Games for the GG, but

the screen is crap. The Quality of the Games are Crap.

But Sonic and some few other.

The Screen of the Lynx is better.

Games are better (Quality) and the Battery life are nearly the same.

Even the Sound is better on the Lynx^^

Defenetly the Best Handheld almost the Game Boy is a little bit better.

Sad but true.

The Game Gear has a much larger library, but many of those are cheap, rushed ports and poor versions of licensed games. All in all, when it comes to a balance of great games worth owning and playing, the systems are about even. SMS capability is a major bonus for the GG (and those adapters are cheap, to boot), but your jaw will drop when you see the scaling capabilities on the Lynx for the first time.

Edited by Austin

I think I like the Game Gear more, but only by a little bit. Now that I have more than one of each, I'd say I play them all about equally. My Game Gear collection lacks good SHMUPS, although I've got Space Harrier and a Master Gear. My Lynx collection lacks a good RPG, though.

IMO, the Game Gear titles are pretty striaghtforward. Some can be a little bland at times. Lynx titles are usually a little more eccentric, or they're arcade conversions like Road Blasters or Super Off Road.

I recommend getting both. Buy the Lynx first, since the initial cost will probably be higher. Model for model, it seems that the Lynx consumes battery power a little faster, assuming you're playing the whole time. Next I'd get a 9 volt, 1 amp adapter that you can change the tip on. If you're wanting to go mobile with these, good batts and charger are a must. I use NiMH cells rated at around 2500 mAh, and each of the Game Gear and Lynx units I have runs anywhere from five to twelve hours on a single charge. Don't scrimp on the charger, though.

I think the Lynx is a lot more reliable than the Game Gear, based one what I've read here. My experience is different, since my skateboard (Lynx I) has never worked quite the way I want it to, but I think that's a problem with the batteries and not the unit. After all, it does consume quite a bit of power, and that's by design.

I enjoyed my lynx systems but prefer the game gear I'm a younger guy so I grew up with sega and nintendo not atari and have always had a thing for sega so I prefer game gear a bit. Ideal setup would be a nomad (portable genesis) which is on my list of things to own eventually

Game Gear, if you can get your hands on Gunstar Heroes port. Incredible game, so say the least. The majority of the GG library is "meh" - but there are a few decent titles. And like others have said, the screen isn't too great. I have two GGs and about 30 games. I never play it. The lynx looks interesting and I would like to try out a few games, but overall - the library won't keep me interested (at all). Zaku would probably be the only reason I'd get a lynx (never owned one, but a friend had one). For all its technical prowess, the screen is too low res and the library just sucks not to my liking.

Edited by malducci

• 2 weeks later...

From a technical standpoint the Lynx pretty much can do stuff the GG cannot. The GG does have 2 benefits though: higher resolution and 32 colors on-screen.

The lower Lynx-res is also why some Lynx games seem to have such unusual tall character sprites with little space above and under; there are basically 40 lines missing compared to other handhelds, which hurts the overview a bit.

But looking at stuff like Battle Wheels or Battlezone 2000, this could not be done on GG. All the fancy scaling and rotation is a huge pro for the Lynx; after all the GG is only a Sega Master System with a larger color palette.

Lynx has no rotation hardware, just scaling/zooming, I got corrected on that a while back... (other effects would have to be done in software, and sometimes are)

It does push polygons fairly well and has possibly the best (only good?) port of STUNN Runner. Sound is definitely more capable on the Lynx. (including PCM playback)

Other than that, the GG is more common, but tends to have some age related compatibility problems, namely dying capacitors. (occasionally you see dying LCD screens with other issues like stuck pixels, though I'm not sure how much better the Lynx is) The Lynx II would be the one to go for on that side though.