IGNORED

XEGS or XEGM difference?

eebuckeye

I think B&C refers to the XE Game Machine to be the unit with the keyboard and power supply, but no light gun and games.

They call it the "Game System" when it includes everything it was originally sold with - that is the 2 games, light gun, 1 joystick.

At least if I understand their ad correctly, both come with the keyboard. Better check for sure, though.

Think this is more or less correct.

Here in Europe we had two packs of XEGS/XEGM systems:

- the smaller pack contained only the XEGM with built-in MC and power supply (not sure if the joystick was also included); the keyboard was available separately; the lightgun (with bug-hunt cart) was also available separately;

(but afaik the FS II cart was not available separately in its own package)

- the bigger pack contained the XEGS with built-in MC, plus keyboard, plus lightgun, plus Bug Hunt and FS II carts, plus power supply, plus joystick;

Here is a picture of the separate available Lightgun with package:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3702815992021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370281599202&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Attached you will also find a picture of the XEGS with keyboard, lightgun and other stuff in its original package.

Alas, I do not have any pictures of the smaller XEGM package (but I once owned it) or the separate keyboard package, maybe someone else has them... In short: XEGS = all-in-one package, whereas XEGM = separate packages for game-machine, lightgun (+ Bug Hunt), keyboard. -Andreas Koch.

I think B&C refers to the XE Game Machine to be the unit with the keyboard and power supply, but no light gun and games.

They call it the "Game System" when it includes everything it was originally sold with - that is the 2 games, light gun, 1 joystick.

At least if I understand their ad correctly, both come with the keyboard. Better check for sure, though.

xegs.zip

Alas, I do not have any pictures of the smaller XEGM package (but I once owned it) or the separate keyboard package, maybe someone else has them...

There are several picures on Rhod's Website. There even was a package called "Atari XE Video Game System" that contained a 65XE instead of XEGS.

What strikes me though, each package is called "Atari XE System" or "Atari XE Video Game System". I wonder, does the name XEGS ever appear in the original system packages or manuals?

There are several picures on Rhod's Website. There even was a package called "Atari XE Video Game System" that contained a 65XE instead of XEGS.

What strikes me though, each package is called "Atari XE System" or "Atari XE Video Game System". I wonder, does the name XEGS ever appear in the original system packages or manuals?

Interesting, I am not that familiar with Atari systems, Did the XEGS take the same carts as a 65XE? Are they compatible, same amount of memory etc?

Interesting, I am not that familiar with Atari systems, Did the XEGS take the same carts as a 65XE? Are they compatible, same amount of memory etc?

Yes they are totally compatable, the xegs is basicaly a 65xe with a detachable keyboard. You can also use other peripherals such as disc drives

Alas, I do not have any pictures of the smaller XEGM package (but I once owned it) or the separate keyboard package, maybe someone else has them...

The system Owner's Manual that I have uses "XE game system" at the most formal opportunities, but never capitalizes Game System.

Likewise, the Keyboard Owner's Manual uses "XE keyboard" but doesn't capitalize "Keyboard."

The console itself does has "XE System" etched into the top of it, in the upper-right corner.

As you noted, the boxes use "XE System" except for the full package ones, which use "XE Video Game System".

I do believe that some of the text-based press release type information out of Atari did in fact use "XE Game System".  

I don't think I've ever seen something from Atari using "XE Game Machine" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think the system's real name is just "XE".  But that's not much of a name.  To me it's an unsolvable problem.  Atari never quite had a handle on what they were calling it.  

hello guys

the keyboard sold separately was never sold in USA

only in Europe, but extremely rare

i buy this one, in last december

is the only one I saw for 4/5 years

the only other I know, is that of mratari http://www.mr-atari.com/atari8bit.htm

the real photo on my blog

http://rhodblog.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/atari-xe-keyboard/

• Like 1

The system Owner's Manual that I have uses "XE game system" at the most formal opportunities, but never capitalizes Game System. (..)

I think the system's real name is just "XE". But that's not much of a name. To me it's an unsolvable problem. Atari never quite had a handle on what they were calling it.

That's what it looks like for me. In their catalogs Atari called it simply "Atari XE" or "Atari XE system".

However, several older games were rereleased with stickers that say "Also plays on XE Game System and XE/XL Computers". So maybe the XEGS name is the best compromise we can achieve ;)

Edited by Kr0tki

Wouldn't not including the keyboard lead to similar problems as the C64GS due to many of the games requiring keys to start games and select options, etc? (albeit, the C64GS didn't even offer a separate keyboard iirc, so it had a much bigger problem)

No, because Atari console keys are present on XEGS and don't involve the keyboard; they are read via CONSOL bits 0..2 (start/select/option) and most games use these. In fact, they even modified the XEGS OS so that booting from cassette doesn't require a keyboard key to be pressed but only console keys.

Apple IIGS needed good graphics and sound so the GS title but I though c64 had graphics and sounds already so what's the GS for?

This would be the first time I've seen it typed as such but I've often heard it referred to aloud as the XE Game Machine. I was not aware of the finer points of the marketing side.

As an aside - a long, long time ago I was repairing the keyboard for one and under those 29 little tiny Jesus screws and the mylar, the lettering of "900 XL" had been clearly gouged into the mold that formed the underside of the top of the keyboard. The "positive" lettering (standing proud of the rest of the plastic) was crudely cut by something like a valve porting, oversized Dremel tool which was bouncing around no small amount IIRC and the lettering was about two inches tall so it would not be missed. I've never had even one conformation that the text was there, mylar replacement must not be a very common thing to do to them. The only one I ever did too.

• 6 years later...

I got question about the XEGS /GM. If I get one without the keyboard, are the keyboards rare or hard to find or easy to add on? Are all 8-bit game carts playable with just joystick controllers? How will I know if an 8-bit game cart will work without keyboard if I see one lying on a shelf at a store?

Which is the better system to collect for? XEGS or 5200? Yeah, I opened that can of worms. 7800 and VCS have been good to me so far.

Are all 8-bit game carts playable with just joystick controllers?

Several games were designed for keyboard control. E.g. "Typo Attack", "Astro Grover" (came with a special keyboard overlay), "Powerstar".

Some require keyboard for some of its functions, but are somewhat playable without them. E.g. "Defender" used space for smart bobms.

How will I know if an 8-bit game cart will work without keyboard if I see one lying on a shelf at a store?

You'll need to prepare a list beforehand, the cartridge labels themselves won't tell you anything. One exception: all the XEGS-style gray cartridges don't require keyboard. Edited by Kr0tki